PDA

View Full Version : Restoring the machine.

AlanMcKinnon
09-15-2012, 06:48 PM
For whatever reason, I feel like these forums are the best place to keep updating my computer situation.

As I am impatient and Xotic's customer support seems to have a "one e-mail per day" policy, I've decided to RMA my machine and swap it out for another one. Before I go through all of that, however, I'm going to try an ASUS restore and see if, by some miracle, it resolves any of my issues.

Fingers crossed.

dstrakele
09-15-2012, 10:42 PM
You could also try booting from a Linux LiveCD distro. If the video issue remains, it is most likely caused by hardware.

AlanMcKinnon
09-16-2012, 02:14 AM
Well, it doesn't look like it worked. Oh well, at least now I know I've exhausted every option (that I'm willing to take).

Now to RMA.

rewben
09-16-2012, 02:20 AM
ok, can you please tell us what didn't work exactly? the restore part, or running a linux livecd?

maybe i'm missing something, but what's your problem again?

AlanMcKinnon
09-16-2012, 02:33 AM
It's a color gradient/graphics performance issue.

I've been posting about it sporadically for the past couple of weeks. dstrakele has been helping me out regularly.

rewben
09-16-2012, 02:40 AM
ah no wonder i couldn't find anything about a actual problem in this one. sorry about that :D

yes, dstrakele is resourceful :)

AlanMcKinnon
09-16-2012, 05:15 AM
Pretty convinced I have a faulty GPU at this point. And super-frustrated that I forgot to backup my notes for school before I restored... Dumb mistake on my part.

Anyhow, this machine is an enigma. Running Nvidia's older 296.xx driver (the one that comes on the system), FIFA13 runs without a hitch at 60fps. Mass Effect 1, however, runs at 30fps (which I know is not where it should be) just sitting around the Normandy, no action at all.

Blah. The sooner this gets taken care of, the better. Unfortunately, RMAing is going to be a lengthy process, especially if they build a whole new machine for me...

Bundy_Drop_Bear
09-16-2012, 06:53 AM
They won't build a whole new maching they will simple replace your with a brand new one and send it back to you or they will replace the GPU like they have done with mine.
Mine has taken 3 weeks so far this coming Tuesday will be the forth week but they phoned me on Thursday to tell me they had the part and had arrived and they were going to install it and test it then they would send it out on Friday.
Alas it either took longer to test or something else happend as it didn't arrive on Friday.

Any way Good luck with having a smooth RMA process.

AlanMcKinnon
09-16-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm assuming yours is through ASUS? My RMA will be through Xotic PC, and I've had a few of their mods installed on my machine. That's why I'm curious if they'll simply try to replace whatever it is they think has gone wrong or if they'll just scrap it and build a new one.

Based on what I've heard about ASUS' RMA support, I'm glad I won't be dealing with them.

chrsplmr
09-16-2012, 02:46 PM
.. most of 'what you heard' was frustration of time lost.
For every one with an issue that can be pointed to .. there are many that went flawlessly.
That said .. Best of Luck ..

dstrakele is resourceful .. hahaha .. very .. and thats only half of it. No quit-All ROG.c.

AlanMcKinnon
09-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Just saying what I've heard. There's a whole thread of horror stories about RMA'd machines being returned more damaged than they were.

*shrug*

Either way, I'm not happy with time lost, I'm not happy that such an expensive machine has such a problem, but not much I can do about it now.

chrsplmr
09-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Take no offense. You are correct in your observations which was my point, sorry if it was not clear, the ones without
a glitch in the process .. we rarely see.
When we do .. and it is brought to light .. it is rare that it goes without resolution. (I can think of only two in my
short tenor here .. that ended in the Member without Joy.)
All here are here to help and try our best to assure that 'We' never read a third ...

I assure you Alan .. I meant no offense .. Ill be here calling out for help with you .. if the need ever arises,
but MarshallR, Raja, HiViz, the rest of the Mod's, Members and now the New CL's (customer loyalty guyz)...
work to hard for excuses ... and seek resolution as well...

we are with ya all the way friend.c.

dstrakele
09-16-2012, 03:57 PM
.. most of 'what you heard' was frustration of time lost.
For every one with an issue that can be pointed to .. there are many that went flawlessly.

I just don't believe that. I've seen too many times when someone opens a thread, we determine the problem is hardware, they RMA, and the laptop is shipped back:

1) not fixed

2) scratched, broken, or in some way damaged

3) initial problem fixed, but now there is a new problem.

This results in multiple RMA's and Mason is called in to resolve the problem. Now, Mason has left the company.

I see this time after time. If what you said is true, most of these people would have their problems resolved on the first RMA.

AlanMcKinnon
09-16-2012, 04:14 PM
At any rate, I've put in the RMA request at Xotic, so hopefully this ball gets rolling quickly and we can put all this behind us.

chrsplmr
09-16-2012, 05:20 PM
I just don't believe that. I've seen too many times when someone opens a thread, we determine the problem is hardware, they RMA, and the laptop is shipped back:

1) not fixed

2) scratched, broken, or in some way damaged

3) initial problem fixed, but now there is a new problem.

This results in multiple RMA's and Mason is called in to resolve the problem. Now, Mason has left the company.

I see this time after time. If what you said is true, most of these people would have their problems resolved on the first RMA.

Great points .. so we All agree then .. there is much room for improvement.
You know my position on this I am sure .. have the so called techs sign thier work ... do thier job or look for another.
As to my ratio being flawed .. i guess we should agree to disagree .. I still believe, need to believe really, that the
issues are the exception, not the rule. ... well maybe one day.

The pictures of the condition of the packing and shipping of one such you speak of (if they were accurate) still
sickens me .. thanks for reminding me ... and allowing me to add ..
no excuse .. fire them.

You are 100% correct .. sadly .. to date .. its a 50/50 crap shoot ... at best.
Im saying that Asus isnt any happier about it than we are.c.

AlanMcKinnon
09-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Well, the beast gets sent to Nebraska tomorrow morning. Hopefully all issues are resolved quickly. I'll update here as necessary.