PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet drops randomly

Synned
09-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Background:
I have purchased the G75VW with 1TB hard drive.
It has the Athros wireless card.
it will randomly disconnect me from the internet which has become a great inconvenience.

The issue:
While playing games my internet will drop and require me to go to my internet connection at the bottom right to right click and troubleshoot it. After that it will detect a problem and fix it by resetting my settings. It will work for a bit but do it again.
Lately it just disconnects and says it cannot connect to the hidden network. My network broadcasts the SSID and I have a WPA2 Personal password on it but all other wireless devices do not have this problem.

If you need more information please just tell me what to do and I will gladly reply.

dstrakele
09-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Hi @Synned - What version Atheros driver are you running?

Do the disconnections occur only during games?

What Antivirus software are you using? McAfee is reported to cause DPC Latency spikes that may result in network disconnections.

There may also be other drivers that may cause DPC Latency on your system. I recommend you troubleshoot with DPC Latency Checker.

If you connect to a friend's router, do you still experience disconnections?

It looks like others are experiencing this issue on Windows 7 (see http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fanswers.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fwindows%2Fforum%2Fwindows_7-networking%2Ffixing-wireless-hidden-network-problem-on-windows%2F7a893bef-1f1a-4f5e-b6a2-cc4fc16b361a&ei=1Q9VUJGRAYONygHmx4HYAQ&usg=AFQjCNET8cdMHXTbsAXg0S3UaAcBvXcsNQ&sig2=Fp--g7n0Ptj1YEu5padfLw).

Yellow11
09-15-2012, 11:46 PM
I would also check your power settings.

Under Control Panel, Power Options, In whatever power plan you are using, click Change Plan Settings, then click on advanced power settings, scroll down the list to Wireless Adapter Settings, then down to Power Saving Mode. Set everything to Maximum performance. Do this for all power profiles. This helped me at a favorite public WiFi spot where connections would drop all the time.

joyfulPo
09-16-2012, 12:04 AM
I had the same problem as you.

I called ASUS Customer Support.
I called the shop that sold me the laptop.
I asked on this forum.

None of the answers did any good, except one thing, changing WPA2 to WPA, then it worked.

I have no idea, why. But it works, so the question here is why does it work with WPA and not WPA2?

Why is it stable on WPA but not WPA2? I wonder.

(By the way, I didn't try to remove the drivers completely and re-install them, try that, maybe that works)
If not, then I have tried everything else that didn't comprimize my warranty).

But honestly, I am very curious if anyone can come up why my G75V wireless network random drops\disconnects, just as same as you described happens only if I have it on WPA2 and not WPA.

If you find the answer to that, then you find the real problem in this.

dstrakele
09-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Did you try @Yellow11's recommendation in the post immediately above yours?

joyfulPo
09-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Did you try @Yellow11's recommendation in the post immediately above yours?
Yes, it's one of the suggestions the ASUS Customer Support gave me. It won't fix the problem.

But why do everyone ignore my question with why a wireless network card in G75V works with WPA but not with WPA2 as it just continues to have random disconnects only with WPA2?

If you knew the answer to that, then we would know what is the problem.
Bad hardware?

dstrakele
09-16-2012, 01:14 AM
I've seen switching router Security and Encryption recommended in other articles, but they all say switch from WEP to WPA2 to resolve the disconnections.

Perhaps it's an Atheros driver issue, I know that early version Atheros drivers had bad DPC Latency on G74SX systems. This resulted in many performance issues with that model. They were resolved with driver version 9.2.1.470, which eliminated the latency. Unfortunately, it doesn't support the WiFi card in your laptop.

Yellow44
09-16-2012, 02:59 AM
Well, I have heard people complain about the crappy Atheros cards in this machine. I think there is a thread about it here someplace.

What I would do is first try a different driver, after that I would put an Intel N-6235 card in it. However you need to take the machine apart to do it. You might not want to do that for warranty reasons.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6235.html

joyfulPo
09-16-2012, 03:12 AM
Well, I have heard people complain about the crappy Atheros cards in this machine. I think there is a thread about it here someplace.

What I would do is first try a different driver, after that I would put an Intel N-6235 card in it. However you need to take the machine apart to do it. You might not want to do that for warranty reasons.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6235.html

I suggest anyone that has problem with G75V wireless, where you get randomly dropped (disconnected)
to set up a strong WPA password, change it regulary. Turn off the SSID broadcast.

Sure people that want to crack things, can do so.
But how many want to crack your wireless network? I assume most people have internet these days (at least around where I live).

I think for now, this is the only solution you will find that won't break any warranty, at least untill there will be some new drivers that fixes this problem.

rewben
09-16-2012, 03:46 AM
i use Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter (although i have g55, not g75). i have never had issues described here. i am using hidden/published ssid and wpa2-personal. the connection is fast enough, and i never get disconnected (unless i do it myself).

btw, i run on fresh windows install; use microsoft security essentials; also use latest driver from the web. the thing is, i had no problem with wireless when i used previous stock windows with stock drivers.

Fanty
09-16-2012, 11:57 AM
I have experienced a different thing with my G75 and WLAN.

The connection quality randomly changes. Range is from 3/5 to 5/5 bars.
The distance is about 2 meter and the only thing between the router and the laptop is my body.

Yesterday I had to buy a new router, but the effect still exists. Its not causing disconnects for me. But I can imagine that such a drop in signal strengh would cause a disconnect if it would be 10 meters with 2 walls between.

dstrakele
09-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Did you experiment with different channels? You may be dealing with interference.

madnj
09-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Login to your router, set a static wireless channel. I've had similar issues with interfering wireless devices, but if you find a static channel on your router that works, you should be ok. I've been running my G75 using static channel 9, and I've not had a single disconnect. I'm running built in windows drivers, not the atheros ones from the ASUS site, but I'd think stability has more to do with wifi interference than the drivers.

joyfulPo
09-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Somebody found the solution to your problem and my own problem, I'm now online all the time with WPA2, never random disconnects.

you don't know how to search my friend

Atheros AR9485 WLAN Driver v10.0.0.26 (http://fichiers.touslesdrivers.com/34181/Atheros_Wi-Fi_AR1xxx_AR2xxx_AR5xxx_AR9xxx_10.0.0.26.zip)

Just had to update the drivers, that's all. Use the driver above :)

rewben
09-18-2012, 06:39 AM
if you want you can try 10.0.0.200 too. i am using it for a while now.

DFox
09-18-2012, 07:51 AM
if you want you can try 10.0.0.200 too. i am using it for a while now.

Hi Rewben, Do you happen to have a link to download that driver?

I've been trying to install the Atheros AR9485 WLAN Driver v10.0.0.26 posted above but everytime i try to install the drivers, I get to the "preparing files for setup" page, the progress bar will complete and then the installation closes and nothing happens.

does anyone else have this problem?

Ibz
09-18-2012, 09:12 AM

I've been trying to install the Atheros AR9485 WLAN Driver v10.0.0.26 posted above but everytime i try to install the drivers, I get to the "preparing files for setup" page, the progress bar will complete and then the installation closes and nothing happens.

I've installed them hundreds of times

it is probably coz you don't have a clean install

try uninstalling the current drivers first, restarting, then try installing the new ones again

joyfulPo
09-18-2012, 10:11 AM

Go on your Computer and right click for Properties.
Then look for Device Management to your left.
Find Atheros Wireless under the Network\card\adapter section.
Right click that and go to Properties again.
Then go to Driver section, click on Update Driver.
Then take the option to search your PC for the drivers.

Now before this, I hope you have unzipped the drivers into a folder,
if you have, you only need to pick that folder and volla! :)

(And always do a restart when you do changes to drivers)

rewben
09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
@ DFox, although i have it running well on my system, please be advised that you have to do this at your own risk. it's labelled for windows 8, but apparently it works for windows 7.

please find it here (http://www.devdrivers.ru/news/qualcomm_atheros_ar5xxx_wireless_network_adapter_d rivers_v_10_0_0_200_drajvera_dlja_besprovodnykh_se tevykh_adapterov_wi_fi_pod_windows_8/2012-09-16-918) .

it's always a good practice to scan the downloaded files for virus before use.

DFox
09-18-2012, 09:04 PM
I was able to install the new driver! Thank you for your help guys!

joyfulPo
09-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I was able to install the new driver! Thank you for your help guys!
Awesome :) Good to hear!

bioangel
09-18-2012, 11:02 PM
delete post

BlackIceKunt
05-19-2013, 02:10 PM
I too have purcahse the G75VW - with a 1tb HDD + 256 SSD.

1) the Touchpad to doesnt work anymore, since having a Mad Katz/Saitech Contagion mouse, and before that a logitech G300.

2) Drop outs over network situations.

I will just say this - FUKN annoying.

But I have found a temp solution.

Change the Security settings to WPA2 Personal (AES) + WPA2 Personal (TKIP)
Also - check you device list - for a Microsoft Wireless Router Module - dont even know how or why its there, considering theres already a router on the network. - Could be causing a DNS/IP conflict, and therefore having to reset itself.

It has a problem picking up Wireless N routers - regardless of which channel you use.

Background:
I have purchased the G75VW with 1TB hard drive.
It has the Athros wireless card.
it will randomly disconnect me from the internet which has become a great inconvenience.

The issue:
While playing games my internet will drop and require me to go to my internet connection at the bottom right to right click and troubleshoot it. After that it will detect a problem and fix it by resetting my settings. It will work for a bit but do it again.
Lately it just disconnects and says it cannot connect to the hidden network. My network broadcasts the SSID and I have a WPA2 Personal password on it but all other wireless devices do not have this problem.

If you need more information please just tell me what to do and I will gladly reply.

AllInMyMind
06-24-2015, 06:51 PM
FYI, for anyone still having issues with G75VW and Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

Problem fixed:

Don't use 802.11n, instead use 802.11g
If problem continues, may need to disable IPV6