PDA

View Full Version : G75 - Speakers making a static noise

Agent.Orange
09-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Hey Guys,

I recently bought a g75 and had to exchange it twice now from other issues. i'm on my third g75 no and the speakers are making a strange static noise. The best example is when I double click a folder in windows 7, you know how normally it makes a click sound? Same as when you hit the back button. That sound gets all muffled.

It doesn't happen on my external speakers, or headphones.

Is this a hardware issue with the internal speakers?

PS - I'm on the latest drivers for the sound system (6.0.1.10900)

dstrakele
09-16-2012, 09:32 PM
I'd try the following :

1) Uninstall the VIA driver from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program ", REBOOT, and let Microsoft install its Plug - n - Play audio driver. Attempt to reproduce the static issue.

2) Boot up using a Linux " LiveCD " distribution and attempt to reproduce the issue.

If you can successfully reproduce the static, it is likely a hardware issue.

If you can't repro the static, try running Driver Sweeper from Safe Mode to remove any VIA driver remnants. You could also run CCleaner to clean up the registry. Then reinstall the VIA driver from Safe Mode.

Agent.Orange
09-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Hey dstrakele,

I took your suggestion and uninstalled the drivers and did a sweep, so far the sound seems to have disappeared with the windows plug n play drivers, but I loose function of the subwoofer.

I then tried to install new drivers from safemode, but due to some kind of script error I could not, so i had no choice but to do in normal mode.

I've tried installing a few drivers now (10900, 10600, and 10400) and each still bring about the same problem.

I still can't tell if it hardware or not, because I need the drivers to run all the speakers. How many does the g75 have? In the windows sound config it shows me stereo and 5.1 with the drivers, and when i use the plug n play drivers it just shows stereo.

Thanks again dstrakele, what do you think of this situation?

Agent.Orange
09-16-2012, 11:20 PM
I forgot to mention that you can even hear it a bit when windows boots up (the one with the black screen with the 4 colors flying around) with or without drivers.

dstrakele
09-16-2012, 11:43 PM
I forgot about the subwoofer being disabled with the Windows Plug-n-Play audio driver. If that is the speaker causing the static, the testing I described in my previous post will not be effective. You can only determine it's a hardware issue in the left or right side speaker if you reproduce the static (but you did not).

I suspect the subwoofer will also be disabled in Linux. So I can't offer a useful way to troubleshoot your speaker issue.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that you can even hear it a bit when windows boots up (the one with the black screen with the 4 colors flying around) with or without drivers.

This behavior indicates a hardware problem. It conflicts with your previous results, however.

If you can isolate the static to 1 of the 3 speakers with the VIA Control Panel, that may allow you to move forward with diagnosing a hardware issue.

Agent.Orange
09-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Right, I've also tried disabling 2.1 sound in the VIA audio deck, and putting the bass down to 0, and I still get the same problem.

dstrakele
09-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Disabling 2.1 eliminates the subwoofer, so the static is then coming from either the left or right side speaker (or both). However, the behavior is different from what you report with the Windows Plug-n-Play driver, so a hardware or software cause is still undetermined.

Setting bass to 0 will not be effective, since it is reported the subwoofer reproduces most frequencies.

IMPORTANT NOTE : It's not hard to overdrive small, cheap speakers to produce static, so experiment with Equalizer settings (I've read the high end needs to be cut back) and Volume.

Agent.Orange
09-18-2012, 02:41 AM
With further testing I think I've determined the sound comes on whenever the speakers are coming out of or going into their "rest state" (ie breaking silence). So with a sharp noise like the windows click, it becomes really apparent.

I hear it on msn alerts too when someone signs on (speakers break silence).

I'm not sure if anyone knows what I mean.

Perhaps there is a way to disable this rest state?

Agent.Orange
09-18-2012, 02:45 AM
If I play a song on winamp, and turn the volume down to 0%, then the windows clicks sound crisp

StereoROG
10-19-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm having what you have described even when i boot up the laptop also when windows is loading and also when i'm shutting down the laptop, happens also when i'm browsing folders.

1 - if it was driver issues it shouldn't do it while boot up a the drivers load with windows ( if i'm correct)

2 - hardware issue?? i don't think so coz while playing games and listening to audio its all good

3 - software issues ??? i have cleaned mine up. i have uninstalled most of the software that comes with Asus

4 - Also when i plug in my headphone the sound does away.

5 - BIOS ???? maybe as this noise start when i boot up the laptop ( not at the start but a bit later )

the only thing that helped me :) is when i'm in windows i turn the microphone off (disable it) so it is definitely related to that again we can never be sure.

Any feedback would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Sorry or typing errors, cheers

Sinless
10-19-2012, 11:17 PM
I had the exact same problem, i sent mine to RMA.

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a g75 and had to exchange it twice now from other issues. i'm on my third g75 no and the speakers are making a strange static noise. The best example is when I double click a folder in windows 7, you know how normally it makes a click sound? Same as when you hit the back button. That sound gets all muffled.

It doesn't happen on my external speakers, or headphones.

Is this a hardware issue with the internal speakers?

PS - I'm on the latest drivers for the sound system (6.0.1.10900)

StereoROG
10-20-2012, 06:29 AM
Did they identify the issue?

Sinless
10-20-2012, 02:48 PM
I made a few calls to the service center, and they told me that the subwoofer was damaged and need to replace it.

A curious note, when i uninstalled the VIA driver and installed the Microsoft generic driver, that wierd noise was gone, but the quality of sound is even worst.

Did they identify the issue?

AzraelsKiss
10-20-2012, 07:54 PM
I made a few calls to the service center, and they told me that the subwoofer was damaged and need to replace it.

A curious note, when i uninstalled the VIA driver and installed the Microsoft generic driver, that wierd noise was gone, but the quality of sound is even worst.
The generic Microsoft driver doesn't support the subwoofer, so that was likely the reason that you no longer heard the static, but also had worse sound quality. Without the subwoofer, the two regular speakers are as bad as any other notebook speakers I've had.

veve84
12-07-2015, 12:43 PM
I had the same problem with my Asus Rog G751JT T7250H.
I tried fixing the sound in every way, from drivers to bios. Nothing worked.
I had a clicking (static) sound in my speakers and subwoofer every time I used the sound, but even when I opened or closed an application (where there is no sound involved). If I connected the headphones, I can hear sound like a song or a film in the headphones BUT at the same time the music was playing in the headphones, the laptop was still making the clicking noises coming out of the laptop speakers and subwoofer. In the headphones, I could not hear any clicking noises.

I am happy that I found this post because I have reached the conclusion there is something wrong with the hardware and not the software.
For this reason I am going to return it and get my money back. I'm very disappointed with ASUS.... it's so expensive but it can't do the basics, like playing sound.
The best analogy for this is that it's trying to fly but it can’t even walk.