PDA

View Full Version : G53SW Power Issue-- Solder?

Dyskresiac
09-17-2012, 05:26 AM
I sent my G53SW in for repairs twice now for Power Plug issues. First 2 times the pin came out. This time, it would only work intermittently depending on how the cable was laying. I called ASUS and they said I was out of warranty since my last repair was over 90 days ago.

So I took apart my laptop, and this is what I saw:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/C4t2PiapJFtm5XlsQfB-VvB1lBDgeAEeTt2_hZN1hwRLBNYtYGnRRAixH2glGkwWj3pZcb u6XEc

My jaw dropped. The reason why it was intermittent was because there was no solder on the "Hot" pin. In fact, it looked a little burned. This is likely because it was arcing when it DID make connection. I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe I should just re-solder it? Where did the solder go in the first place?

Since it's apart and broken, I'm debating on using this as an opportunity to mod my case and add the second jack that I saw elsewhere on these forums. But I'm wondering if even that would fix it.

(Note: I use the stock power adapter and stock battery.)

cl-scott
09-17-2012, 04:36 PM
The image link gives a 403 error FYI.

Dyskresiac
09-17-2012, 11:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3OPwz.png

There we go. Thanks. I couldn't find flickr info.

cl-scott
09-18-2012, 12:47 AM
I know it's often easier said than done, but any chance you could get a clearer hi-res shot? And maybe from the other side of the jack.

Dyskresiac
09-19-2012, 06:42 PM
It's not difficult. This was taken with a Canon D500, but I am limited by upload capabilities. Any suggestions on where I could host such a huge screenshot?

I even have a higher res of that image as well, if you want. I can upload them when I get home. How about directly E-mailed? (In your signature?)

cl-scott
09-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Email should be fine. Otherwise, not sure if Google's Picasa service has any kind of limit on the size of files, so that might be one possibility.

Dyskresiac
09-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks to our friend cl-scott, who has been working with me since I posted this, I/he was able to get my OOW fee waived because this is an ongoing recurring issue despite the repairs being almost a year ago.

I'll put here what I told him. "Customer Loyalty Indeed. +1"

=)