PDA

View Full Version : G73sw - keyboard backlight not working

mitchflossin
09-18-2012, 12:38 PM
I know there are tons of posts about this issue, but none of the fixes seem to work for me. The keyboard doesn't even briefly flash during POST, however, the function keys do pop up the image on the OSD when I use them - they just don't illuminate the keyboard. The keys in the upper left always remain lit, but pressing them doesn't do anything at all.

I have checked the physical connector the backlight uses probably a dozen times. I've flashed the BIOS from 205 to 202, to 203, to 205 again. I have uninstalled reinstalled the ATK package, althought that wouldn't explain why the keyboard doesn't flash during POST. I noticed the issue after I had disassembled the laptop to apply thermal paste to the GPU (but I won't get into that.... very disappointed in the product experiences I've had in just over a year). It's entirely possible I've messed something up while doing that, but I'm a pretty technical person and very meticulous - I'm a network administrator.

Is there a way to test the physical connection to see if it's actually working? What else should I try? Is there still hope? Thanks everyone - I appreciate it.

mitch

dstrakele
09-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Check out this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1845-Keyboard-Backlight-Stoped-Working!&p=92527&viewfull=1#post92527. I don't know if the links are still good, but it may be the fix you need....

mitchflossin
09-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks... I'll give that a try this evening.

mitchflossin
09-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Sadly, this didn't work. I receive "can't write" or "can't write to device" - something along those lines - when i execute the fixmykb command.

Any other ideas? Is there a physical test to see if my connector actually works? I'm afraid I may have inadvertently damaged it when I took it apart. Although I was as careful as possible.