PDA

View Full Version : FPS drop in all PC games

DCrodrigo
09-18-2012, 07:21 PM
I keep posting in the wrong sections :[

FPS drop in all PC games
Basically, what has been happening is there is a drop in FPS in all of my PC games on the internet or not from a solid 60 fps down to twenty even lower, while previously they have been working quite beautifully actually staying very consistent and never having problems. (These games include, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Deadspace 1 and 2, Portal 1 and 2, TF2, SC2, Tribes Ascend, GTA4, Spintercell Conviction, and others). It is a pretty consistent drop in FPS, not really acting up stationary, but move around and it slows down.

My Laptop is an ASUS 674sx laptop running Windows 7 64bit which I've had for about a year now.

https://www.mln.com.au/img/uploads/i...asus-g73-1.jpg
My Specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
8gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

Of course if you need more information just tell me.

Now, I've tried a lot of things to fix this.
-I have defragged my hard-drive, erased my cache of files (I do this often),
-freed up memory in general,
-scanned with Kaspersky multiple times with no avail.
-Checked my temperatures on my computer, which while running Assassins Creed Brotherhood are around 60C on avg. Stays rather stable
-Turned off my computer for 2 days straight, despite me turning it off every night (I do use it quite often sometimes upwards of 12hours).
-Updated my drivers for EVERYTHING
-I did do a system restore, after I did a few things learning that it wouldn't do much to my computer. I didn't have a far enough date, so I picked the latest date I had, but that might have been after the lag started, or before, but it didn't fix anything regardless.
-Cleaned the fan

Things I haven't tried
- Restore to default settings
- Checked Components for damage.

I'm pretty desperate to be honest, because it just isn't fun to play games with the amount of FPS drop I get. Please help, thank you!

All temps
Idle
CPU
Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.00GHz 51 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G74Sx (CPU 1) 53 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1600x900@60Hz)
2047MB GeForce GTX 560M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 47 °C
Hard Drives
466GB Seagate ST9500423AS (SATA) 50 °C
466GB Seagate ST9500423AS (SATA) 38 °C

Running Brotherhood
CPU
Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.00GHz 57 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G74Sx (CPU 1) 60 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1600x900@60Hz)
2047MB GeForce GTX 560M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 57 °C
Hard Drives
466GB Seagate ST9500423AS (SATA) 50 °C
466GB Seagate ST9500423AS (SATA) 38 °C

zsld0423
09-18-2012, 08:45 PM
You might check out this thread, the computer could be throttling and causing this FPS drop in your games

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it&country=&status=

But glad to see you've been doing some good upkeep of your computer otherwise :P

DCrodrigo
09-19-2012, 08:05 PM
You might check out this thread, the computer could be throttling and causing this FPS drop in your games

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it&country=&status=

But glad to see you've been doing some good upkeep of your computer otherwise :P

Well, this started fairly recently, and I'm not exactly sure I should be doing all that, if it actually started somewhat recently.

DCrodrigo
09-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Thread bump. Need help guys!

Matt Horvath
09-21-2012, 12:25 AM
You should try to do what is explained on the throttling thread... it might help. I think this is a stupid question, but Hhave you changed the power settings to any other than high performance?

PILGRIM
09-21-2012, 04:06 AM
Thread bump. Need help guys!

If you don't like to overclock your G74 (even so, I doubt it would solve your issue),
then how about a Windows clean reinstallation?..

I know it's a pain... doing things over again. But it seems like you've exhausted all
possible means to get your G74 to work as it was. If it were me, I'd rather spend
2 hours or so, of making my system software "brand new" again, by re-installing Windows,
rather than spending days looking for answers that may not come.. (Actually, I do
a Windows OS clean install twice a year, or even more, if there are issues of it I can't troubleshoot.)
When re-installing Windows, just remember to save all pertinent files i.e. games, media, etc.,
to another drive.

Lempziv
09-21-2012, 05:13 AM
You should try to do what is explained on the throttling thread... it might help. I think this is a stupid question, but Hhave you changed the power settings to any other than high performance?
Are you using your AC adapter when playing? Battery is not enough when playing .

DCrodrigo
09-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Are you using your AC adapter when playing? Battery is not enough when playing .

I've been using the same charger for the past year.

My power plan is on Power4Gear Quiet Office. I haven't had problems on that power plan for an entire year, so I don't understand why that would be responsible. I don't see where it says "high performance" though, maybe in the advanced settings?

If you don't like to overclock your G74 (even so, I doubt it would solve your issue),
then how about a Windows clean reinstallation?..

I know it's a pain... doing things over again. But it seems like you've exhausted all
possible means to get your G74 to work as it was. If it were me, I'd rather spend
2 hours or so, of making my system software "brand new" again, by re-installing Windows,
rather than spending days looking for answers that may not come.. (Actually, I do
a Windows OS clean install twice a year, or even more, if there are issues of it I can't troubleshoot.)
When re-installing Windows, just remember to save all pertinent files i.e. games, media, etc.,
to another drive.

The problem with overclocking, is that the lag started all of a sudden. My computer was fine having 40 to 60 fps on every game, now I get lower than 20 sometimes.

I was thinking about doing a system restore, but the problem is that I have mostly all downloaded games and movies. I would lose all of them wouldn't I? What do you mean by another drive? An external one?

DCrodrigo
09-21-2012, 07:21 PM
So Update. I downloaded the throttlestop, did what it told me to, and it didnt change a thing in 4 of my games. The game's still lagged and dropped in FPS

Matt Horvath
09-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Well, on my computer the power 4 gear's quiet office setting reduces the maximum processor state to 70% (I think it's the default setting) so that alone should give you some kind of trouble, unless you changed the minimum and maximum processor state inside the program. The A/C adapter you use is the original one or is it different from the original? If it is different it might not be supplying enough power for the machine, even though you said that you use it for over a year. The Power4Gear program looks like this: 11914
just type power4gear on the windows search and it will appear there. Change the setting to high performance and give it a try.

Matt

DCrodrigo
09-22-2012, 02:45 AM
Well holy crap the high performance worked! I haven't restarted the computer yet though, but it seems to work. I do wonder if this means the overall performance of my computer is declining. Because i could be on Quiet office and still play fine.

Matt Horvath
09-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Nah, the quiet office profile reduces automatically the processor's 'power level', so I think you'll be fine. I'm glad the High Performance option worked for ya :)

appumaverick
08-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Hello!!!!
I am having a hard time playing games on my pc. All my games are having fps drops and are feeling laggy. Its very irritating and I am not able to play games smoothly.
My pc specs are:-
1. 500 w smps
2. Gigabyte 880GM- D2h motherboard
3. AMD FX-4100 quad core 3.6 Ghz processor
4. Corsair 4 gb ddr3 1333Mhz ram
5. 1 gb ddr5 MSI ati radeon hd 7750 graphic card
6. 1 tb HDD
7. Win 7 OS

I've played games for the past 2 yrs or so and didnt have any problem.I am plaing COD Black ops 2,Crysis 3,Hitman absolution, Assassins creed revelations, Assassins creed 3. Even Counter strike 1.6 has fps dropped to 60 fps. Last week my cousin was browsing through the net and downloaded "REGCLEAN" and it fixed around 600 files on next pc restart. Since then all my game's fps has dropped. I've cleaned the interiors of my pc for any dust .I've reinstalled all my drivers and also updated my graphics driver to the latest one. Still it isnt working. Should I format my pc???
Can anyone help me to figure out the problem plz...