PDA

View Full Version : ***SOLVED*** G75VW Reboot after Hibernation

Fangrim
09-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Hullos all!

I've posted about my problems with my G75VW rebooting 10 mins after resuming from hibernation here:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16543-G75VW-Random-Reboot&country=&status=

I have finally found a solution that works for me:

It's as simple as changing a BIOS setting.

1) Enter BIOS (press F2 during boot, as soon as you press the power button).
2) In the "Advanced" tab, set the "Power Off Energy Saving" setting to ENABLED.
3) Save and quit.

You need BIOS 210 or later. Get it here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/

Use the BIOS EasyFlash to update your BIOS - WinFlash Utility have been reported to brick computers (thanks to Zygomorphic for info!)

If you need to update your BIOS, the option will be enabled as default. You'll need to disable and enable it again, or the fix might not work.

In other words, after upgrading BIOS:
1) Boot the PC into Windows, reboot into BIOS.
2) Disable the option and boot the PC into Windows. Reboot into BIOS.
3) Enable the option again, and boot into Windows. Problem should now be fixed.

Thanks to switch for the heads-up on this little quirk!

This did it for me - hope it'll help everyone with the same problem. Thanks to all the people here for their invaluable help!

/Fangrim

PS: If this works/doesn't work for anyone with the same problem, please post a message here - would like to see if this really is the Magic Solution.

gdmitry
09-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Yes, it works! :)
Fangrim, thank you!

Zygomorphic
09-19-2012, 02:04 AM
Excellent work! +1 rep! Will sticky this thread if more people appreciate it! THanks.

dstrakele
09-19-2012, 02:07 AM
It's got my vote!

Zygomorphic
09-19-2012, 02:10 AM
With your vote, @dstrakele...
...and done!

silentechos
09-19-2012, 02:14 AM
i have no option for this.

in the advanced tab i have
start easy flash
play post sound
internal pointing device
wake on lid open

intel virtualization techololgy
intel aes ni
sata config
intel anti theft
usb configuration
network stack.

i hit f2 and the top is it says aptio setup utility.
any help would be great

dstrakele
09-19-2012, 02:41 AM
Do you have a G75VW?

What BIOS version?

We just need @Fangrim to confirm his BIOS version.

Fangrim
09-19-2012, 03:38 AM
Thanks Zygomorphic!

BIOS version 210. Get it here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/

Zygomorphic
09-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks Zygomorphic!

BIOS version 210. Get it here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/

Glad to help. Valuable stuff like this gets stickied. May end up being moved to "Important and Useful Threads"

silentechos
09-19-2012, 08:39 PM
i installed the new bios and the option was already set to enabled so i will test it out to see if it is fixed or not. thanks for the help!

edit: just random rebooted. went back to the bios and the setting is still enabled. ill keep you guys updated but atm i dont think it worked :(

Fangrim
09-20-2012, 04:41 AM
Reboot should occur exactly 10 minutes after you press power button, resuming your PC from hibernation. That's what this fix is for. If your resets are random, sometrhing else is wrong.

m3rcer
09-21-2012, 05:29 AM
Been awhile since I was on here. Immediately got your msg, Fangrim. Had to upgrade the bios, but the "random reboot from hibernation" problem now seems fixed. Thanks! Tho I must admit that it became less of a problem once I installed an SSD boot drive - I mean I would just turn the G75 completely off because it's only a 15-20 second boot time. Either way it's good to know a simple bios switch is all that was needed. ;)

Fangrim
09-21-2012, 02:00 PM
My problem went away too a few months ago - I found that booting from scratch was faster than resuming from Hibernation.

Reinstalled Windows, and the default power button function was Hibernate - so it reappeared. Feels so good to finally nailing the bugger!

Zygomorphic
09-21-2012, 09:25 PM
My problem went away too a few months ago - I found that booting from scratch was faster than resuming from Hibernation.

Reinstalled Windows, and the default power button function was Hibernate - so it reappeared. Feels so good to finally nailing the bugger!

Hibernation is going away as the amount of memory computer's have increases but the bulk-transfer rate of HDDs does not increase proportionately. I don't hibernate for that reason either. I either save my work or else sleep...which is still as fast as it ever was...or faster.

switch
09-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Hi

I had this problem before and have since been just turning the laptop off to get round it so I tried the fix tonight.
Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I updated the bios to the latest, when I went into the bios the Power Off Energy Saving was already set to enabled.

I have also tried it set to disabled but get the result. After 10 minutes after booting from a windows hibernation the pc shuts off instantly.

Dam, I was hoping this could have sorted me out too.

Simon

Fangrim
09-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Weird it doesn't work on yours :(

Might sound stupid, but have you tried reenabling the Power Off Energy Saving setting?

I'm thinking that even though it shows on by default after upgrading BIOS, something might be quirky. Disabling it, rebooting, and enabling it again might do something.

I'm grasping at straws here ;o)

MUPiSz
09-26-2012, 02:45 AM
hey thanks for the post. i update both my g75's today.

i'll reinstall the bluetooth drivers in a few days and see how that goes. they were listed as culprits a few times back when random reboots were occurring. who knows?

guess seagate fixed the hibernation issue with their hybrid drives with these 750gb drives vs the 500gb drives.

thx

switch
09-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Good thinking batman, that worked... fingers crossed it stays fixed :)

Weird it doesn't work on yours :(

Might sound stupid, but have you tried reenabling the Power Off Energy Saving setting?

I'm thinking that even though it shows on by default after upgrading BIOS, something might be quirky. Disabling it, rebooting, and enabling it again might do something.

I'm grasping at straws here ;o)

Bryan123
10-01-2012, 12:44 PM
how can i install the bios ive downloaded?

Fangrim
10-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Underneath the BIOS download "tab" on the website, there's a BIOS Utilities "tab". Download the utility there and use that to update your BIOS.

Zygomorphic
10-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Use the EasyFlash thing in the BIOS. A number of people on the forums have bricked their laptops via WinFlash.

finalhour
10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
I have a related question:

I use photoshop and other demanding applications. I have 8GB of ram. At no point am I using all 8 GB and often at least 3-4GB are free when I hibernate. For some reason, even in a few situations where I haven't left Photoshop open when hibernating (often when this issue occurs I have left it open), the computer gets hung up in the resume process and basically does the whole "system resuming" animation endlessly unless I hit the power button, start up again, and tell it to do a fresh startup. I have my OS on an SSD and it flies on a clean startup, but I'm unsure as to why this keeps happening, especially with 8GB of RAM... My old ASUS had 4GB and while it was slow during use of photoshop, I NEVER had trouble starting up from hibernation.

any thoughts?

dstrakele
10-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Try recreating the hiberfil.sys file that is used to store the memory snapshot during hibernation.

finalhour
10-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Try recreating the hiberfil.sys file that is used to store the memory snapshot during hibernation.

How would I go about doing that?

dstrakele
10-03-2012, 03:42 PM
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

Fangrim
10-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Use the EasyFlash thing in the BIOS. A number of people on the forums have bricked their laptops via WinFlash.

O_o didn't know that! Original post updated - thanks Zygomorphic!

Zygomorphic
10-04-2012, 01:40 AM
O_o didn't know that! Original post updated - thanks Zygomorphic!

Yeah, it happened to me too...@dstrakele had to set me right...thanks, @dstr! :) We all learn from him, don't we? ;)

thesupergeek
12-01-2012, 09:57 PM
sorry for the kinda offtopic thing but here it goes: Have been having this odd problem recently (ever science I installed windows 8). I turn on my computer (asus g75vw) and approximately 15 minuets later it reboots. when I look for the error in event viewer it says kernel error 41. I have tried many different fixes and none of them work. any help would be great.

xredfeverx
12-19-2012, 03:19 AM
Thanks for this thread!
Same model/system, I wasn't positive if it was the same issue. Tested it out, crashed right at 10 min.
Updated Bios to version 222, toggled the power saving option in the bios, and it fixed my problem!
Thanks again! Great fix!

deadsilent
02-24-2013, 03:08 PM
I experienced the same issue on my 75VW Asus laptop notebook and i just changed the Hibernate button and disabled it from my computer and now i use the sleep button.. i prefer using sleep because it saves the memory of your last session and puts your computer into a standby mode where as Hibernate is merely used to wake up the computer for faster use.. (you can google, how to disable hibernation button on start menu to get rid of it)

As for the BIOS updates, im still currently on the manufacturers version and i heard using "winflash" to update your BIOS would brick your computer which was why i didnt update mine.. but i know you have to use EasyFlash to update it from the BIOS settings..
I'm not an expert when it comes to updating my BIOS and i don't like fiddling with the BIOS either as it could potentially mess up my computer and there goes 2000 dollars on my laptop..

but anyway im just saying.. if users DO NOT want to use Hibernate mode, Sleep mode is basically the same thing all you do is close the laptop lid when you see the start button light turn off and then open the laptop lid to wake it up again.. Simple as that. :P

Max777
06-08-2013, 07:50 AM
@Fangrim
Thanks for sharing.
I have the exact same symptoms as you had: random reboot after a few minutes after coming out of sleep.
The random reboot occurs ALWAYS and ONLY after coming out of sleep, NEVER after a reboot, and around 5 minutes after coming out of sleep.
I haven't measured the exact time, so it could well be 10 minutes though, it is just my feeling that it is rather 5 minutes than 10.
Most of the time, the reboot doesn't happen after coming out of sleep. If it doesn't happen, it may happen after the next sleep / wakeup cycle.
I have this laptop since around Mai 2012 and it is the best PC I ever had (very fast, no glare screen, SSD, etc.).
The random reboot happened to me around 10 times in one year. I started an excel, writing down the occurrences: Since April 2013: 3 times.
It happened today again, this is when I started googling about the problem and found your post.
I never lost much work as a consequence of the random reboot, as I save often while working on documents.
I love the fact that this laptop can wake up in 3 seconds and stay into sleep without going out of battery even during several days (5).
I won't consider the option of shutting the laptop down instead of putting it into sleep. I would rather buy a newer laptop model (ASUS G76?).
Instant wake up is one of the must have feature. Mac laptops have this since years and it rocks.
My laptop has dozens of applications opened all the time, and I don't want to close and restart them every time because of a stupid reboot.
The laptop has BIOS version 222.
"Power off energy saving" was set to "Enabled".
I followed your instructions: "Enabled" -> "Disabled" -> "Enabled"
I will write a follow up post if I don't get the problem during two months.
Thanks again Fangrim for starting this thread.
The laptop originally came equipped with Windows 7.
I installed Windows 8 on it when it became available, end of 2012. At that time, I upgraded the BIOS and the drivers.
I use "ASUS Instant On", set to Standby 5 days (fast wake up). Without "ASUS Instant ON", the Windows sleep mode doesn't work well, it takes around 20 seconds to wake up, depending on the amount of loaded applications.
I don't use hibernate, in fact I disabled it and removed the corresponding file from the C:\ folder, as this file eats up 16 GB out of 256 GB SSD.
Coming out from hibernate is anyway slower than a reboot (hibernate = around 20 seconds, reboot = 10 seconds).
Rant: My feeling is that Microsoft still cannot do proper sleep / hibernate. "ASUS Instant ON" is a very nice feature. Or else, get a MacBook Pro and install Windows 8 on it.

99GreenySC2
07-02-2013, 04:36 AM
would this help the G750JW? i have issues with a black screen it sounds like the issues....

but everytime i try to boot up with BIOS it never works ever....

Zygomorphic
07-03-2013, 12:54 AM
If you have a GPT drive (used for UEFI boot), then that is what happens. the BIOS cannot initialize a GPT drive, only an MBR one.

Max777
07-16-2013, 11:36 AM
OK, I am back here, alas earlier than expected: The random reboot still happens on my G75.
It happened Sunday once AND Monday (!), after more than one month without any reboot.
So this is not THE solution, at least not for me.
I guess that I will have to live with it: After waking the laptop up, I will wait for 5 minutes before doing anything serious with it. I will also make sure that everything is properly saved when I put it into sleep.

ABSGrp
09-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Hey, thanks for the tip. I upgraded the BIOS from 207 to 223 on my G75VW and that seems to have fixed my issue, without toggling the power setting and multiple reboots.

Darkenezz
10-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Hi!
I got problem in bios to after updateting to 223 :/ now its only start into bios and i cant get anywhere then bios every restart :/
Anyine taht know what is wrong?

rdiscipio1
10-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Misleading thread title, no?

Like many others who spent upwards of $2000 or more on a G75, I too was plagued with the random shutdown (hard power off). Could happen 2 times in 10 minutes or not for a few weeks. I had also tried everything, like many others, and to no avail it remains the same. It really is a shame because I absolutely LOVE the G series laptops, have bought/owned multiple for me and my son, but this G75 I have now may be the last...

After only a few months of owning it, and finally frustrated enough, I reached out to ASUS customer service explaining what should have been a well documented issue considering the myriad of threads and complaints littering the web describing the issue (including their experience & results via ASUS customer support) but all I got back was your standard "send it in and we will test it" response. I responded by explaining that I use this laptop for work (I am a operations manager that travels 30 weeks a year and require a all in one type laptop for work and entertainment while on the road) and sending it in is not an option. I mentioned this should be a very well documented issue by now and as such they should understand that a typical test bed rundown has almost zero chance of finding anything unless I was lucky enough to have it happen while they were actively testing it, and even then I would only expect a reformatted HDD back like virtually every other person who sent it in.

Long story short, they refused to even acknowledge it was a known issue. I could not afford to send it in and go without a travel work/play station for week(s), and as a stalemate we had to part ways. I have multiple G series laptops registered so they should have been able to tell I was a loyal customer. I do not think it would be so outlandish for them to send a replacement first so I would not have to go without a workstation. I would have even left a CC on file for them to bill if I did not send mine in.

After that I wound up buying a Alienware for my work/play travel mate and now my G75 collects dust at home getting very little use. I can not even sell the thing as it is still defective with random shut downs and would feel negligent selling it for any amount as is. I mentioned in another thread that I buy multiple PC's yearly, G series gamers for my son and me, as well as other ASUS kits for my wife. I have been a loyal customer of ASUS for a few years now and have always loved their product but if I can not count on their product for reliability and despite my purchase history, can not get the level of support I need, I am going to look elsewhere next time it is time to upgrade.

Mind you, I do not 'expect' ASUS to send a replacement to everyone that has an issue, obviously that would be foolish. But as someone who has been a loyal customer, someone with multiple G series laptops registered, and someone who is an advocate for their product as a all in one work/play station, I expect to not have to go without a work station for week(s) because of a issue they refuse to even admit to have.

mocker
01-13-2014, 11:12 PM
I have a similar issue with G750JX and Win7 Home Premium sleep/resume. Unfortunately it does not work no matter how I set the switch in BIOS. My current BIOS version: 208.

gudmundurb
02-25-2014, 03:39 AM
PMrdiscipio1, I have a similar issue, my computer restarting since day 1 I bought this computer, but error not being reliable enough to send in to standard repair shop, as I my self could not reproduce the error (due to my work I could not depart with my computer for a long time because of repairs)

This has downgraded my view on Asus as a brand, and as I am also giving advises to family and workmates regarding what to purchase I will be advising against asus products in the future .. and yes I contacted the support team which did not acknowledge this faulty on their machines ..

zelinski
03-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Blue Screen after both Hibernation or Sleep then Restart question
Win 7 64bit
Intel® Core™ i7 3610QM Processor
Ram 16MB
HD 256 SSD + 750GB
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. G75VW.210, 15/06/2012

I love my G75VW but I am at my wits ends with multi problems since date of purchase 05-12-2012 with shutdowns, restarts after sleep mode, then finally BSOD restarts.
Five RMA's to date, the last being HD failure and the following hardware was changed, MB, HD, VGA, Keyboard. Twenty four hours after its arrival am all excited with new almost everything, I wake my beloved "Tinkerbell" from her hibernation and a few minutes after I am hit with a BSOD mini dump restart.
Before the last RMA I have always been able to use the hibernation mode but not the Sleep mode because of restarts problem after sleep. Since the laptop returned I have been hit with BSOD mini dump restarts at ever event upon waking up from both hibernation and sleep and am stuck with Shutting Down Tinkerbell after every use.

I have read all the comments here but it is not mentioned if a Blue Screen is seen before the restart.

.......Update I started getting BSOD now after Startup from a Shutdown....

Any suggestions???

nCrague
03-10-2014, 06:06 AM
Good day all,

another possible solution to those for whom the bios fix does not help. this instant reboot problem has been a real pain over the last few months for me. I have followed the bios fix, i've stripped and cleaned my g75vw to the last screw, fans are serviced and appear to be working well still did not fix the problem. Absolute lack of error logs or event logs was a big problem.

finally, I think I have a solution which has kept my machine up and running for the last few days. sadly, i've had to under-clock my GPU. I used MSI Afterburner 2.3.1. I have reduced the core clock speed from 620 to 540.

my gpu temp was about 54 degree C, in idle, upto 85 when gaming. although my rog would crash under seemingly random circumstances as well - sometimes immediately after boot. or just doing normal office work or in a virtual machine.

most forums suggest temp of 85 degrees is ok, I even found an nVidia quote saying 105 is max. the under clock has brought this temp down by about 10 degrees and this looks like it has fixed the instant reboot problem.

next step will be to try find the highest clock speed I can run at without a crash. will let you know.

GoonieQuest
05-20-2015, 05:19 AM
I think this might have worked for me! To date, I had taken it apart, and cleaned the fans. Then I took a gamble and used Winflash - thank god I didn't get another shutdown. The new bios didn't seem to help, but I went through the cycle of disabling/enabling the Power Off feature and so far so good! It's preliminary, as I haven't had a crash running Trine 2 (consistent power failure during a specific section of game) but it's running stable and I'm really excited to see if this keeps up. Thanks!

I'm not sure if I'm just being hesitant to call this success, but how could this problem slowly creep up in frequency? Feels like such a hardware issue...

Anyways, I'll check in and let everyone know how this goes. Thanks again!

**UPDATE**
It seems things have become worse - crashing within Windows without running anything taxing. I've just installed MSI Afterburner to UNDERclock my GPU.

I'll follow up on if this is helpful

KamSinz
04-16-2016, 02:27 AM
oki I have the resent model of ASUS gaming laptop ( ASUS gaming notebook G752 ) in February. Its constantly rebooting and would like to know if anyone knows how to fix this issue with this model...