PDA

View Full Version : G75 Graphics card Upgrade question

NorwegianNinja
09-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Hey,

This has likely been asked many times before, but here it goes. I very recently purchased a G75VW from best buy, that has the 660M graphics card on board. My question is: can I remove the card and replace it with a 670M etc? Is this little procedure even possible at the hands of a pro? I am relatively capable, I have built a few desktops, can I do it myself?

cl-scott
09-19-2012, 11:08 PM
I will set aside the question of possibility and just say that if you did do this you would be voiding your warranty. So if that factors into your decision in any way, there you go.

NorwegianNinja
09-19-2012, 11:16 PM
I will set aside the question of possibility and just say that if you did do this you would be voiding your warranty. So if that factors into your decision in any way, there you go.

Fair enough. Thanks.

bignazpwns
09-20-2012, 01:33 AM
Yes you can but you will need to buy a Asus GTX670m and also buy the heatsink with mounting hardware. You will also be giving up your warranty

NorwegianNinja
09-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Yes you can but you will need to buy a Asus GTX670m and also buy the heatsink with mounting hardware. You will also be giving up your warranty

Ok. And how much will that cost me?

_
09-20-2012, 03:52 AM
It's not really worth it tbh: there have been OCing threads on here where people pushed the 660M to 670M performance.

bignazpwns
09-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Fair enough. Thanks.

Well its going to be about $450-$500.

I personalty pushed my GTX 660m to match a GTX 675m frame for frame in games and match it in synthetic bench's. If your are going to over clock the card your doing a downgrade if your going to leave it at stock your paying top droller loosening the warranty by changing a component that has been known to fail in the G75's "GTX 670m" and stock vs stock your only looking at a slight performance increase but a bunch of extra heat that even a heavily overclocked GTX 660m wont push out.

Its not even close to being worth it. But its your money but your going to be spending at least $450+. The money is better spent else where. Perhaps 2 SSD's and RAID them and keep your warranty.

If you want to void your warranty i would pick up a 3840QM . Payed $480 for mine runs like a champ. However i will say mine is a ES and the stock bios did not support it but i had a modded bios on hand that supports it but i can not common on wither it will work for non ES chips but it should. One day when i get some time i'll try the latest bios from Asus and see if it supports the chip.

NorwegianNinja
09-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Well its going to be about $450-$500.

I personalty pushed my GTX 660m to match a GTX 675m frame for frame in games and match it in synthetic bench's. If your are going to over clock the card your doing a downgrade if your going to leave it at stock your paying top droller loosening the warranty by changing a component that has been known to fail in the G75's "GTX 670m" and stock vs stock your only looking at a slight performance increase but a bunch of extra heat that even a heavily overclocked GTX 660m wont push out.

Its not even close to being worth it. But its your money but your going to be spending at least $450+. The money is better spent else where. Perhaps 2 SSD's and RAID them and keep your warranty.

If you want to void your warranty i would pick up a 3840QM . Payed $480 for mine runs like a champ. However i will say mine is a ES and the stock bios did not support it but i had a modded bios on hand that supports it but i can not common on wither it will work for non ES chips but it should. One day when i get some time i'll try the latest bios from Asus and see if it supports the chip.

So overclocking my current card is a better move?

cl-scott
09-20-2012, 11:20 PM
So overclocking my current card is a better move?

I just looked up the G75VW on the Best Buy website to get a representative price of $1300. Yes, different configs will have different prices, but this is for the sake of example.

So you have a $1300 laptop, and you then want to spend $450-$500 for a video card. That's basically 35-38% the total cost of the entire laptop. Meaning you'd be spending over 1/3 the cost of the laptop to upgrade that one component, for what, by all accounts, is a modest upgrade at best. Now maybe you are burdened by an excess of cash (in which case, let me tell you about the Scott Billings Wellness Foundation, where all proceeds go to promote my personal well being :p ) and plunking down that kind of money isn't a big deal... But if you're not, then is the cost:benefit ratio equitable? For me it'd be a resounding no, but maybe things work out differently for you.

NorwegianNinja
09-21-2012, 12:34 AM
I just looked up the G75VW on the Best Buy website to get a representative price of $1300. Yes, different configs will have different prices, but this is for the sake of example.

So you have a $1300 laptop, and you then want to spend $450-$500 for a video card. That's basically 35-38% the total cost of the entire laptop. Meaning you'd be spending over 1/3 the cost of the laptop to upgrade that one component, for what, by all accounts, is a modest upgrade at best. Now maybe you are burdened by an excess of cash (in which case, let me tell you about the Scott Billings Wellness Foundation, where all proceeds go to promote my personal well being :p ) and plunking down that kind of money isn't a big deal... But if you're not, then is the cost:benefit ratio equitable? For me it'd be a resounding no, but maybe things work out differently for you.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, this is a very expensive project, and not entirely worth it on a $1300 computer (which I did in fact get at best buy). Thanks for the info. I'll move on to other projects and look at other ways to improve my graphics performance.

Sinless
09-21-2012, 12:38 AM
If you want the best performance, go with a desktop computer, or if you have the budget, go with Alienware, Sager or MSI. I heard some of they're laptops comes with the GTX 680M

So, if I'm understanding correctly, this is a very expensive project, and not entirely worth it on a $1300 computer (which I did in fact get at best buy). Thanks for the info. I'll move on to other projects and look at other ways to improve my graphics performance.

bignazpwns
09-21-2012, 01:05 AM
Budget and Alienware? LMFAO check out the specs for the MX17 then the G75VW and the G75VW stomps it and its way cheaper.

I don't get what you want? If you want super performance you are going to pay for it. My EON17-SLX started off at $1,625. My final price before shipping was $5,869. The GTX 680m's are close to $1,000 each.

If you want top of the line notebook performance your going to pony up a min of $4,000+ When you hit the $1,500 price range there are much better systems then the G75's that are pretty easy to upgrade.

The G75 is what is is. I nice lower end gaming system. It was never ment to have anything outside the ram and disk drives upgraded. To swap out gpu's you need to take apart the whole system and by that i mean every single screw must come out and there are a ton of them. Some of the cables are very fragile and break pretty easy. Getting some of the connections together under the kb is not that easy. In short if you have to ask about the upgrade and whats needed you lack the technical skills needed to pull this off. I have taken apart this system about 10 times now i swaped the gpu's out and back and forth for testing. This is not an easy system to work on and if you really want to get into upgrading your own notebooks Clevo's and what not are much more user friendly to work on.

If you wanna get into upgrading your own systems cpu's and gpu's and working on your notbook your self i would say get a Clevo. Im all for do it your self because personally i have seen some service centers tech's work and its pretty crappy. Never seen asus's "Still waiting on a call back going on 2 months now. But i have seen some dell's where the techs would pinch wires and short out parts. But i will tell you that the G75's are harder to work on then most other system and some of the internal cables break much much easyer.

NorwegianNinja
09-21-2012, 01:20 AM
Budget and Alienware? LMFAO check out the specs for the MX17 then the G75VW and the G75VW stomps it and its way cheaper.

I don't get what you want? If you want super performance you are going to pay for it. My EON17-SLX started off at $1,625. My final price before shipping was $5,869. The GTX 680m's are close to $1,000 each.

If you want top of the line notebook performance your going to pony up a min of $4,000+ When you hit the $1,500 price range there are much better systems then the G75's that are pretty easy to upgrade.

The G75 is what is is. I nice lower end gaming system. It was never ment to have anything outside the ram and disk drives upgraded. To swap out gpu's you need to take apart the whole system and by that i mean every single screw must come out and there are a ton of them. Some of the cables are very fragile and break pretty easy. Getting some of the connections together under the kb is not that easy. In short if you have to ask about the upgrade and whats needed you lack the technical skills needed to pull this off. I have taken apart this system about 10 times now i swaped the gpu's out and back and forth for testing. This is not an easy system to work on and if you really want to get into upgrading your own notebooks Clevo's and what not are much more user friendly to work on.

If you wanna get into upgrading your own systems cpu's and gpu's and working on your notbook your self i would say get a Clevo. Im all for do it your self because personally i have seen some service centers tech's work and its pretty crappy. Never seen asus's "Still waiting on a call back going on 2 months now. But i have seen some dell's where the techs would pinch wires and short out parts. But i will tell you that the G75's are harder to work on then most other system and some of the internal cables break much much easyer.

I can't afford to buy a new system right now guys. just bought this one and I'm not returning it. I was just wondering how to do a minor upgrade for my current graphics card or switch it out. I'm not interested in a new system entirely.

kevinrocksman
09-24-2012, 11:32 AM
I can't afford to buy a new system right now guys. just bought this one and I'm not returning it. I was just wondering how to do a minor upgrade for my current graphics card or switch it out. I'm not interested in a new system entirely.

Minor.... really? lol

noneone
09-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Minor.... really? lol

THAT was the question kevinrocksman. OP wanted to know IF it was possible to do a minor upgrade to the G75 and get better video. It IS a minor upgrade for the Alienware M17x and the Clevo's to upgrade the video card, so, I think it was a reasonable question.

The answer is ... not really. There are old M17x and Clevos, with old vidoe cards, e.g. 260M, that CAN be upgraded to "new" video cards, e.g. the 650M is only like, $200. So, those notebooks have both a cost effective upgrade AND are easy to do. These are two criteria really, IMO, for "MINOR" upgrade is (a) install minor and (b) COST minor.

The G75 ... has NIETHER possibility. Part of that is because the G75 is "newer" than the M17x or some Clevo's, the lowest card available for the G75 is the most current graphics available, the Kepler 660M. Upgrading to a 680M is $900, and I agree with folks, that spending $900 to upgrade a $1300 computer probably doesn't make sense ... even if it was easy.

The SECOND part of the question is that while many other current manufactures make it easy to access and upgrade the video card, the G75 DOES NOT. While it is better than Asus in the past (G75 isn't sodered on to the motherboard) it IS relatively "un fun" to get to the video card. Doable, yes, "MINOR", no.

This is a drawback to the G75, that is NOT obvious to everyone, the MARKET has plenty of upgradeable GPU notebooks, so folks are used to the concept, the G75 is just not one of them.

G75 is good for what it is, affordable, good gaming, great cooling, OC potential, good portability tradeoff. It is not really upgradeable, NOR is it cutting edge technology. M18x and Clevo are much more upgradeable, and more technically advanced, and heavier, and much more expensive. 17" screen with a 680M is $2000 and UP. G75 with a 660M is $1300 at best buy, and its cool, and quiet. Asus makes high end gaming more widely available and mainstream, bringing portable gaming to the masses. :)

mrwolf
09-24-2012, 12:59 PM
@NorwegianNinja: Your best bet is to just overclock your 660M bro. There is no point goin thruogh all that cost and hassle to install a new GPU on a brand new laptop lol..
You can overclock your CPU to about 3.5Ghz and GPU to around 720/1700 or more i dunno, without causing any damage. (On my G75 i OC my 670M to 750/1700 which is mid oc and it goes wayy past the gtx 675M marks ;)..

stev
01-02-2015, 09:31 AM
try this
http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/asus-g75vw-graphics-card.html?g=y&needQuery=n&SearchText=asus%2Bg75vw%2Bgraphics%2Bcard&CatId=0&shipCountry=us&initiative_id=SB_20150102004112&filterCat=708044%2C708045&groupsort=1&SortType=price_asc