PDA

View Full Version : Sent One G75 Back but the Second One Works Great (Mostly)

Sudnib
09-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Ok, so the first G75VW-DS73-3D I received was a dud. Bad motherboard. It happens...

B&H took care of it with zero hassles. Delayed my gratification, but what can you do.

The second one came in and seems to be running well. The CPU cores are little hot when running the Furmark and Prime95 tests concurrently (88C Max), but not during actual game play (~70C). Idle temps range from 35 to 45C and normal usage runs from 40 to 55C. Room Ambient is 23-24C.

I have to say something about the recovery DVDs. What a joke! Burned those right away. Wiped C: drive and tried to recover from the burned discs without success. It ran for nearly an hour doing something, but left the system unbootable and unrepairable. Then I wiped the drive completely using the clean command in diskpart and tried recovrering again. It created all the partitions, and then ran for almost an hour again. When it was done... the partions were all empty. Annoying but not the end of the world. I wanted a clean system anyway.

I then did a clean install using the post at http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/129-ASUS-G75VW-Clean-Install-Guide about the correct order to install all the drivers and utilities. (Thanks for that!).
Everything is now running great EXCEPT for 2 items on that list:

16. Wireless Switch Utility refuses to install. It pretends to start and then vanishes. Wha does this one do anyway? Is it important?

20. LifeFrame3 installs right to the end and then uninstalls itself saying that it was interrupted and try again. It even puts the desktop icon on and then removes it! Every time. I tried multiple versions too. I don't get it. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting this to install completely?