PDA

View Full Version : G75VW FPS Issues on battery

Theliahh
09-20-2012, 02:35 AM
I have an issue with my new G75VW-NS71 with the GTX 670m. When I run games (Specifically Borderlands 2) I get about 60 FPS on max settings for a few seconds. Then the screen flashes black for a moment and my FPS drops to about 1, then a few seconds later flashes again and back to 60 ish FPS. This repeats and is unplayable.

If I plug in the charger, it stays at high FPS and doesn't flash. As soon as it goes back to battery, and gets bad again. This happens on all battery profiles, high performance, battery saver, etc.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

dstrakele
09-20-2012, 02:50 AM
The performance drop on battery is normal: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?22941-G75-Slows-down-on-battery-while-running-games.

Theliahh
09-20-2012, 03:03 AM
Wow, that's surprising. I did not expect that.

Are all gaming-centered laptops like that?

_
09-20-2012, 03:48 AM
Pretty much. It's a balance between not overloading the battery with peaks of very heavy draw and managing your overall session battery life.

Adding a bigger battery would greatly add to the weight, cost and size of any laptop, which is 'unacceptable' from a consumer standpoint. We always want faster, but at the same time lighter/thinner ;) so a balance is struck.

bignazpwns
09-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Problem is your batt. can not provide the system with enough power. Very common on gaming laptops my main rig with a 55w cpu and 2 GTX 680m's laughs at me if i try to use it on the batt.

So you need to game on the batt. but dont wanna deal with the 60fps then drop to 12fps then back to 60 stuff? Used MSI afterburner or another program like that and downclock your gpu to about 450mhz. You will need to lower your settings but this will give you smooth game play on the battery. You can raise it about 10-15mhz at a time to figure out your max before the card starts to draw to much power that the batt cant keep up then back off that 20mhz but this will make it so you are able to play games at lower settings with out the problem why on the battery.

I will tell you gaming on the battery will kill it really fast. And by kill i mean burn out your battery since you system is hitting it so hard so try to only use that when you need to. Normal use ont he battery is fine but when you try to game on it your putting a big strain on it.

d_kazakoff
10-26-2012, 04:37 AM
I just want to confirm that this behavior is by design. I recently worked with Asus support to confirm that 3 different G75VW laptops onsite in the Asus lab all behave the same: when you play games, and disconnect the power so that the laptop is running on battery, FPS drops from 60 to below 10 for about 3-5 seconds, and then jumps back up to 60 fps for about 3 seconds. This repeats endlessly until you reconnect the power supply. The Asus support technician writes: "I just tried this on couple of our G series notebook myself. This is occuring on all of them. I also spoke to my associate and he says this is absolutely necessary as the board and all onboard components will starve of the correct voltage if drawn unevenly from one core area over the other. Hope this helps you. Let me know, Thanks." So, the short message is: don't play games on battery.

bignazpwns
10-26-2012, 04:56 AM
I just wanted to confirm to everyone that this behavior is by design. I recently worked with Asus support to confirm that 3 different G75VW laptops onsite in the Asus lab all behave the same: when you play games, and disconnect the power so that the laptop is running on battery, FPS drops from 60 to below 10 for about 3-5 seconds, and then jumps back up to 60 fps for about 3 seconds. This repeats endlessly until you reconnect the power supply. The Asus support technician writes: "I just tried this on couple of our G series notebook myself. This is occuring on all of them. I also spoke to my associate and he says this is absolutely necessary as the board and all onboard components will starve of the correct voltage if drawn unevenly from one core area over the other. Hope this helps you. Let me know, Thanks." So, the short message is: don't play games on battery.

What testing needs to be done? ITs a what 74whr battery with a 45w cpu and a 70w gpu. You dont even need to know math to figure out the system can never get the power it needs off the batt at load.