PDA

View Full Version : Fitting second Harddrive into g75

elderago
09-20-2012, 03:09 AM
okey so I just got my g75 last sunday,love the thing btw, first computer that is actually modern (well as of this year), and whe I came to open it I found a lovely surprise...

it cam with a second bracket !!! (also the top ram slots where unoccupied which is equally just as cool )

in any case I have found one snag, for some reason I cant get a any harddrive to properly fit in (I.e connect) into slot A without having to put them in slanted, I really would prefer not to have to do this as that could damage the hard drive or the slot.

suggestions ?

_
09-20-2012, 03:45 AM
Urm, slanted? I think what's happening is the SATA connector is either not lining up or plugging in correctly - check you have the drive the right way around before you screw it into the bracket. What HDD/SSD are you trying to install?

Try checking our upgrade guide: http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-series-laptops/upgrading-the-g75vw/

elderago
09-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Urm, slanted? I think what's happening is the SATA connector is either not lining up or plugging in correctly - check you have the drive the right way around before you screw it into the bracket. What HDD/SSD are you trying to install?

Try checking our upgrade guide: http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-series-laptops/upgrading-the-g75vw/

slanted as in an tilted at an angle to fit the hard drive into the sata port, I have a enough knowlege to know that that is a really bad idea.

Its my old 2.5 in sata Western digital hard drive from my previous laptop, the hard drive fits connect perfectly in the second bay but for some reason I cant get any hard drive to line up correctly in the first one ( the pr-einstalled hard drive was in the second slot)

just for reference my model is an asus g75-bbk5 (which is why I was surprised to find a second bracket and the accessible ram
slots empty)

also sorry for my vague description I am still learning about computers,especially modern ones , I was previously using a desktop built in 1998

Zygomorphic
09-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Screw bracket to HDD, then the bracket (with HDD) should drop in next to the SATA connector, which then you push the drive over onto the SATA connector and screw the bracket mounts into the holes. A process like that is used on my G53, which has support for two 2.5" HDDs as well.

GrecoISU
10-12-2012, 08:01 PM
For folks who find this via google here is what I did when it only would insert slanted.

Take the cover off and put it on the other way. I felt really dumb not matching the letters up on the laptop case and the hdd cover. Inserted and worked perfectly the first time.