PDA

View Full Version : New RoG member here

soldatenx
09-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Greetings, New member of RoG here and I recently just purchased my very first gaming pc via laptop. Got the G75vw-BBK5 model and got the logitech speaker/subwoofer set to go with it. So far having a blast, but I have been looking into possibly getting a monitor to hook it up to since it supports hdmi. Any recommendations for this? My one main question though is how will the resolution look compared to the laptops official monitor look? I love the crisp hd monitor but I would prefer a 23-24 inch monitor. Thank you all for your time.

kkn
09-20-2012, 10:53 PM
try and ask in the notebook section :)
unless zyg drops by.

xeromist
09-20-2012, 11:50 PM
As long as the external monitor is the same resolution (1920x1080) then it will look great. There are MANY such monitors to choose from so you may want to think about a price range because any recommendation is going to be pretty random based on a mish mash of personal experiences. Although one easy thing to start thinking about is TN vs IPS(or MVA) the first is the fastest but color quality often suffers. The later are better picture quality but a bit slower so some gamers complain about slight smearing.

Zygomorphic
09-21-2012, 01:56 AM
1080p would be good...sit a little further away so that the apparent pixel size is the same. Sit 1.4x further away. How do I come up with that? 23 inch/17 inch ~ 1.35...don't know if it's strictly right, but that would be the outer limit of distance increase.

Make sure you run the game solely on the external display so that the GPU is not doing double-duty.

I will move this thread, @kkn. @soldatenx, welcome! Join my group if your system is working perfectly!

GottiBoi55
09-21-2012, 02:33 AM
I use my Sharp Aquos 32" 1080p.
looks great, and the nVidia control panel recognized it right away.
but any good 1080p will do the job.
Good luck, and enjoy!
BTW welcome!

bignazpwns
09-21-2012, 04:14 AM
I use a 60 inch plasma and it looks awesome.

If you go with a pc LCD don't buy anything unless its a IPS display. Now if you get a LCD tv you should be getting a 120hz or higher. 60hz you will get motion blur heck even some 120hz have the blur.

Now as for how it will look. It will look just like on the pc. You can get a 720p tv and run 1080p on it. You just set the res to 1920X1080 go into the nvidia control panel then a dust the under/over scan and it will fit that res to your screen. This will save you a few bucks if money is a issue and it will still look great.

soldatenx
09-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome and recommendations. All are helpful and I know now more what to look for while shopping around. I Apologize for posting in the wrong thread and will know better next time. thanks all for your help and time.

john_from_ohio
09-21-2012, 05:15 PM
I have a relatively new LG 23 inch IPS LCD monitor ( 1920 x 1080 ) at work that I use that is just awesome. Price was really reasonable somewhere in the 150 dollar range I think?

There are some really sweet 27 inch new ones at Best Buy more in the 250 range that I would think about also depending on how much room you have on your desk top.

Zygomorphic
09-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome and recommendations. All are helpful and I know now more what to look for while shopping around. I Apologize for posting in the wrong thread and will know better next time. thanks all for your help and time.

Absolutey don't worry about it. I would much rather move thirty well-meaning but misplaced threads every day than clean up that amount of spam. :)