PDA

View Full Version : G55 RAID capable - what's the point ???

ggBanks
09-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Hello everyone,

Back at the time when I bought my ROG machine (like 3 months ago) the first job for me was to update the BIOS. That was the time I noticed that the laptop supports RAID 0, but I guess its just now that I remembered that I haven't found an answer o that question and decided to write here. So what do you think? What the heck is the use of RAID 0 since the G55 has only one HDD bay in the chassis?

bignazpwns
09-21-2012, 08:17 AM
You can drop the optical drive out and get a caddy and slap a drive in there. That's 2 drives.

ggBanks
09-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Yes but what happens when you need to install some games or a windows maybe? Then you are pretty much screwed because you have to disassemble everything and since both drives will be running RAID 0 then you can't just remove the HDD caddy put the optical back, install the things on the primary HDD and then swap the optical drive again with the second HDD. You can't use RAID 0 since it required both HDDs at the same time. It just looses its point!

bignazpwns
09-21-2012, 08:35 AM
USB optical drives..

Also for RAID0 to work you need to have both drives running or the array will fail. And pulling out the optical drive is nothing one screw pop the bottom cover off then take out the optical drive screw and it slides out. Stuff the caddy with the drive in put the screw in and put the cover back on. Total its a 5 min job at most.

SSD's in RAID0 are nice on the G55's/G75's im getting 1071.2 mb/s reads 1015.5 mb/s writes. Burst to over 2,200 mb/s

ggBanks
09-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Yes OK lets say that I will be comfortable with the 5 min switching, but since the drives need to be working at the same time if they are at RAID 0 and if I want to re-install my Windows from a genuine disc that I have. Then what??? I can't do it because if I get the optical drive in, the primary HDD wont work since it needs the second one, and I can't install my windows. Or for example I can say the same with some games I have on disks, I can't install them too. Maybe buying an external optical drive will work, but that is just stupid!

ggBanks
09-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Ok didn't see the first line of your last post. But still external optical drive, who uses these things :D its like having a floppy disk drive on your stationary PC

bignazpwns
09-21-2012, 08:57 AM
who uses cd roms? I used it one time to install windows. Everything else is a digital download.

ZeroBarrier
09-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Ok didn't see the first line of your last post. But still external optical drive, who uses these things :D its like having a floppy disk drive on your stationary PC

Then install it from a USB thumb drive. You do know netbooks don't have optical drives and people have been installing OS's on them through USB thumb drives, right?

bignazpwns
09-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Yeah then why even post this? At first you cant live without your cd rom now your all pro installing from flash drives. Make up your your mind.

ZeroBarrier
09-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Yeah then why even post this? At first you cant live without your cd rom now your all pro installing from flash drives. Make up your your mind.

Wrong person, I'm not the OP... lol

ggBanks
09-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Well if you have a genuine Windows DVD I doubt that you would like to throw it away so easily, because you decided to change your optical drive for an HDD! But still I got the main scheme. Ext. optical is teh only way :)
It is such a shame that the G55 has only one HDD bay. The older ones had 2 bays.

ZeroBarrier
09-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Well if you have a genuine Windows DVD I doubt that you would like to throw it away so easily, because you decided to change your optical drive for an HDD! But still I got the main scheme. Ext. optical is teh only way :)

Now you're just picking at straws. If you don't want to run Raid, then just don't run Raid. Don't come to the forums to open a thread asking why the G55 has raid support if you're just going to make excuses as to why you don't want to run raid.

bignazpwns
09-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Wrong person, I'm not the OP... lol

lol sorry about that. Its 5am here. Im also playing wow why i post lol.

But you can even install windows over a newtwork.

ZeroBarrier
09-21-2012, 09:14 AM
lol sorry about that. Its 5am here. Im also playing wow why i post lol.

But you can even install windows over a newtwork.

NP, lol. And I know; you can even legally and freely download a windows ISO and just use your serial key from the bottom of the notebook.

bignazpwns
09-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Hes anti raid. He will never give up his dvd rom.

ggBanks
09-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Ok I was just exploring opportunities here by trying to argue the choices. Didn't think that you would come down on me with knives and forks.
Sorry if I have made you angry and stuff. Cheers :)

c_man
09-21-2012, 10:41 AM
There are a couple of problems. First one is with Asus. They could have put in 2 HDDs and not that stupid mSATA you can't use anyway.

Second, booting Windows install from USB on these is not for everyone.

Third, why use a 1.5G in RAID with a 6G SSD band wise?

But all of these do not really matter, SSD RAID is good only for testing. Oh, and some people say that it takes like not 3s, but 2s to load some online games. Well, that extra second is a very expensive one. If you have the money, go for it.

Forgottenbhs
09-21-2012, 12:24 PM
You guys do realize that the ODD sata port is only 1.5GB/s and probably not suitable for raid, right? Also, the G55V series has a mSATA slot that supports 6GB/s and IS raid capable. Maybe that is why the option is there for.

Now what I don't understand is why the OP is complaining about a feature that he will not use. It's like being mad at your bank account because it has more money than you need!

Forgottenbhs
09-21-2012, 12:27 PM
There are a couple of problems. First one is with Asus. They could have put in 2 HDDs and not that stupid mSATA you can't use anyway.

Second, booting Windows install from USB on these is not for everyone.

Third, why use a 1.5G in RAID with a 6G SSD band wise?

But all of these do not really matter, SSD RAID is good only for testing. Oh, and some people say that it takes like not 3s, but 2s to load some online games. Well, that extra second is a very expensive one. If you have the money, go for it.

It's not just for the raid capabilities. Say you like the speed of SSD but can only afford a 60 or 120GB model, well what the mSATA allows you to do is have a cheap SSD for your bot drive and you can drop in a 500GB+ HDD in the HDD slot.

c_man
09-21-2012, 12:38 PM
OK, but how can I use mSATA if I can't see it? And mSATA is slower. And mSATA is more expensive. And mSATA is a dead end, a SSD can be used in most laptops or desktops.