PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-DH73-3D Numerous issues

cali13
09-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Last December I bought the ASUS G74SX-DH73-3D brand new. Haven't had any trouble. I use the laptop mainly for photo editing, work/school stuff, and Sims 3. Nothing crazy by a long shot. Disclaimer: I am far from tech-savvy. I'm just hoping for some advice that might save me from taking into the shop or shipping it back to Asus. I have a two year warranty.

Lately the laptop has been having numerous problems. There is nothing I've done differently. Virus scans come back clean and it's all up to date. Here's what's going on:

-Lag in general combined with occasional freezing even when trying to open a simple program like Word (when it does freeze, Ctrl-Alt-Delete does diddly so I have to hold the power off til it shuts down)
-Non-response when I try to open a program (but will work fine for other programs and isn't always the same one)
-Taking ten to fifteen minutes to shut down
-Randomly upon turning on the computer I will get log-in screen that looks different than normal (it's not full screen, it's like zoomed in, and it's slightly blurry). I put in my password and each time the screen is all black except for an occasional blinking pointer. I have to keep turning on and off until I get the normal log-in screen and then it's always good to go after that.

Another issue that may be related but could just be my crappy wifi- my signal is constantly cutting out (even when other computers and my iPad have decent connection). When this happens I have to shut down Chrome and usually opening IE gets it to connect again and then I switch back to Chrome. It's getting old. Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

cl-scott
09-21-2012, 09:28 PM
I would have to say that the symptoms sound very much like a HDD that is on its way out. A reasonably conclusive test is if opening and saving files is also very slow. Also, if you take MS Word as an example... Once the program has opened, does it run normally? If yes, then that also would point to a bad HDD, if no, then you're making my life difficult, so stop that. :p

The wifi thing sounds like an unrelated issue though, so if you do decide to send it in for an RMA, make sure to note that as well, otherwise it may not get tested.

If I am right about it being a bad HDD, you could go out and buy your own and put it in, but you have that warranty you can exercise as well, so it's your call. If you have any issues with the RMA process, you can PM or email me with the RMA # and I'll see what I can do.

cali13
09-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. Bummer if it is the HDD. It's only nine months old. When a program doesn't respond it actually never will open up (even if I can open another program just fine). So I'm forced to restart. For that reason I couldn't tell you if it would operate normally once open. :) I am going to try to limp along until the quarter ends in November and then I will see about sending it in for repair under the warranty. I just can't afford to be without it until then. Thanks again for the reply.

-L

JamesNgkk
09-25-2012, 06:30 AM
Last December I bought the ASUS G74SX-DH73-3D brand new. Haven't had any trouble. I use the laptop mainly for photo editing, work/school stuff, and Sims 3. Nothing crazy by a long shot. Disclaimer: I am far from tech-savvy. I'm just hoping for some advice that might save me from taking into the shop or shipping it back to Asus. I have a two year warranty.

Lately the laptop has been having numerous problems. There is nothing I've done differently. Virus scans come back clean and it's all up to date. Here's what's going on:

-Lag in general combined with occasional freezing even when trying to open a simple program like Word (when it does freeze, Ctrl-Alt-Delete does diddly so I have to hold the power off til it shuts down)
-Non-response when I try to open a program (but will work fine for other programs and isn't always the same one)
-Taking ten to fifteen minutes to shut down
-Randomly upon turning on the computer I will get log-in screen that looks different than normal (it's not full screen, it's like zoomed in, and it's slightly blurry). I put in my password and each time the screen is all black except for an occasional blinking pointer. I have to keep turning on and off until I get the normal log-in screen and then it's always good to go after that.

Another issue that may be related but could just be my crappy wifi- my signal is constantly cutting out (even when other computers and my iPad have decent connection). When this happens I have to shut down Chrome and usually opening IE gets it to connect again and then I switch back to Chrome. It's getting old. Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

I'm no pro but in regards to the "Randomly upon turning on the computer I will get log-in screen that looks different than normal (it's not full screen, it's like zoomed in, and it's slightly blurry). I put in my password and each time the screen is all black except for an occasional blinking pointer. I have to keep turning on and off until I get the normal log-in screen and then it's always good to go after that." problem, i am quite sure that it has something to do with your graphic card's driver. I once experienced that before with a certain version of driver which i cannot remember. But since upgrading to the latest driver, i have not encountered the problem since. Perhaps you can try to install or update to the latest nvidia driver which is 306.23.

As for the other problems, it might be like what the others have suggested, a bad HDD. Otherwise, it could simply be due to the graphic card's driver issue. With the proper and functioning driver installed, i hope the other problems goes away as well. One thing to take note, when installing the new driver, try to do it in safe mode. Also, select custom installation and check the clean installation option. This would uninstall the previous driver and replace it with the fresh new version.

As for the random disconnection of your wifi, i have encountered that before too. I simply searched for the driver update for my wifi card and updated that. I have not encountered the same problem since. If your wifi card is the same as mine (i'm using the G74SX as well), you can use the link i provided for you below to download the wifi driver. My wifi card is the Atheros AR9002WB-1NG.

Link to graphic card driver update : http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.23-whql-driver.html

Link to wifi card driver update : http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=31&system=5

Hope all goes well to you! If you need anymore help such as how to install or anything at all, let me know. :)

Cheers,
James

dstrakele
09-25-2012, 09:43 AM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11361-G74sx-freezing.-Need-diagnosing&p=80051&viewfull=1#post80051 discusses some things you can try to troubleshoot your lockup issues. If you're concerned about file system errors or a bad HDD, you might start with CHKDSK.

@JamesNgk's advice about updating the WiFi driver is excellent, particularly if you have an Atheros card. Early version Atheros drivers had bad DPC Latency, causing numerous problems on G74SX systems, including lockups. You want to be running Atheros version 9.2.1.470.