PDA

View Full Version : Reboot and select proper boot device? Help!

Epialos
09-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Hey guys, I own an Asus G55. I was browsing my files and not really doing much until the laptop restarted on me. Afterwards it keeps saying Reboot and select proper boot device and it isn't loading the OS. How can I fix this without losing anything?

dstrakele
09-23-2012, 02:57 AM
Is your HDD in the boot device list?

Try this - Open the back, remove and reseat the connection to your HDD.

If that fails, insert a Windows install DVD or USB flash drive (you can make 'em if you don't have one) and attempt to repair your Windows installation.

Epialos
09-23-2012, 03:05 AM
I just tried what you said, but it's still giving the same problem..

dstrakele
09-23-2012, 03:25 AM
I added a recommendation to my previous post.

If repairing Windows fails, see if you can access the HDD from a USB drive enclosure attached to another computer. I used a utility called "TestDisk" to recover files from a badly damaged HDD accessed from a drive enclosure.

You may also want to contact your retailer to see if you can exchange your defective laptop for a new one.

GottiBoi55
09-23-2012, 03:27 AM
I just tried what you said, but it's still giving the same problem..

restart your laptop, and once you see the "asus logo" hit the F2 button and enter BIOS.
Go to "Boot Tab", and make sure your OS drive is enabled to the first position.
then hit F10 and select save, and exit.

If that didn't work you can try a "Repair action" from a Win7 install disk.
this action should most likely work.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Epialos
09-23-2012, 03:31 AM
I don't have a windows 7 install dvd. My internet is rather slow and downloading the ISO takes about 5 hours :/

I tried the BIOS but the only option I had was the DVDRAM one.

GottiBoi55
09-23-2012, 03:43 AM
I don't have a windows 7 install dvd. My internet is rather slow and downloading the ISO takes about 5 hours :/

Okay, start your laptop and enter BIOS again, in the last tab select "Load optimize defaults"
then select "save, and exit"
I hope that works for you.

dstrakele
09-23-2012, 03:45 AM
You got any friends with a computer and high speed Internet access? Who knows. - they may have a Windows 7 DVD to lend ya!

Epialos
09-23-2012, 03:46 AM
Okay, start your laptop and enter BIOS again, in the last tab select "Load optimize defaults"
then select "save, and exit"
I hope that works for you.

My last tab in bios is "save and exit". I don't see the option load optimize defaults but I do have a restore defaults which I have already tried..

Epialos
09-23-2012, 03:47 AM
You got any friends with a computer and high speed Internet access?

Sadly I have to head back to my dorm at college tomorrow and their internet isn't really spectacular..

GottiBoi55
09-23-2012, 03:51 AM
My last tab in bios is "save and exit". I don't see the option load optimize defaults but I do have a restore defaults which I have already tried..

yes select that one "restore defaults" , sorry for the confusion.

dstrakele
09-23-2012, 03:56 AM
You could go up to that girl at college you've been dying to ask out and see if she can lend you her Windows 7 DVD. See how it all works out?....

Epialos
09-23-2012, 04:06 AM
yes , select that one "restore defaults", sorry for the confusion.

That didn't seem to work. It still only has dvdram.

& I asked a few friends, none of them have it. They're laptops came with windows 7 so I guess no one bothered getting the installation disc.. :mad:

GottiBoi55
09-23-2012, 04:11 AM

well looks like the BIOS is not recognizing your HDD.

dstrakele
09-23-2012, 04:18 AM
It looks like you are looking at an exchange for a new laptop at your retailer or an RMA for Warranty repair.

Epialos
09-23-2012, 04:21 AM
Well thats annoying... would having the windows 7 disc do any good or no?

dstrakele
09-23-2012, 04:24 AM
It's unlikely if the HDD cannot be recognized by the BIOS.

Epialos
09-23-2012, 04:28 AM
Man... how does a laptop that was working perfectly fine suddenly end up like this.. How quick is their RMA service? Would they try to conserve my files or will they be deleted..?

GottiBoi55
09-23-2012, 04:34 AM
well if your HDD died on you, the answer is no the Win7 install DVD won't work.

Epialos
09-23-2012, 04:38 AM
So should I replace the hdd or send it for RMA?

GottiBoi55
09-23-2012, 04:44 AM
So should I replace the hdd or send it for RMA?

RMA your laptop my friend.

Epialos
09-23-2012, 04:47 AM
I heard some scary things about their RMA . This is not my day. :eek:

GottiBoi55
09-23-2012, 04:50 AM
BTW, how long have you had your laptop?

Epialos
09-23-2012, 04:56 AM
I've had it since the end of June. Didn't expect a problem this quickly..

GottiBoi55
09-23-2012, 05:00 AM
taking it back to the retailer for exchange is out for the question then.

dstrakele
09-23-2012, 05:01 AM
If I were in your situation, I would contact your retailer and see if an exchange is possible or replace the defective HDD and allow you some time to attempt to recover data from it. Even if you're beyond the return period, it's worthwhile to talk to them to see what they can do for you as a customer that recently purchased a very expensive laptop from them.

If that is not possible, I'd purchase a new HDD or SSD, install Windows 7 to it to get the laptop working. Then see if I could recover files from the defective HDD and see if I could RMA it to ASUS. If ASUS replaced the HDD, you could add it to your G75 and use it for backups to avoid this problem in the future.

This will allow you to have a working laptop much faster than an RMA. You have to weigh your out-of-pocket costs for a new drive against the inconvenience of being without a laptop while it is being repaired (or ending up as an RMA Horror Story).

Epialos
09-23-2012, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the help! But, how do I get my data off the hard drive?

dstrakele
09-23-2012, 06:32 AM
You may not be able to. You could try putting the HDD in a USB drive enclosure and using a utility like TestDisk, but the odds of success are small. You could alternatively hire a recovery service to do the job, and they will probably succeed, but at a great cost. It depends on how valuable those files are to you.

Epialos
09-23-2012, 10:43 PM
So I went out and bought a normal HDD to just get the laptop working. I checked the bios to see if it was being recognized ( yay it was!) I proceded to stick in the recovery discs but my laptop ran out of power ( I was in the car). After I got home, I checked the BIOS again and now it isn't recognizing the hard drive. (I'm just trying the recovery discs right now) but do you know whats the problem? It cant be a faulty hard drive..

dstrakele
09-24-2012, 02:32 AM
What is the make and model# of your original HDD?

What is the make and model# of your replacement HDD?

What is your current SATA Configuration in the BIOS?

Epialos
09-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Well both HDD's are Seagate Momentus. The one I purchased is actually working fine now, which makes me wonder if the other one even broke at all..

dstrakele
09-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Put it in a USB drive enclosure and find out. You still need a backup device for your important files.

You'd still have 2 weeks to go at best if you RMA'd it.