PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question - ideal cpu temps?

ravincia
09-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Greetings to the republic, just needed some info.
I'm currently doing some heavy video encoding on my g74sx, which is pushing my cpu quite abit. Its currently averaging at a temp of 76 degrees Celsius, and max at 80. Am i putting too much load on my cpu? (This is VERY important as I will be encoding for like 5 days non-stop)
Thanks. All hail the republic!

cl-scott
09-24-2012, 04:31 PM
I would say those temps are on the high side. Not quite red line, but a lot closer than you'd like for any kind of prolonged period of time. Generally speaking if you're going to have sustained periods of 70C or higher, then you want to probably look into cooling solutions.

JamesNgkk
09-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Greetings to the republic, just needed some info.
I'm currently doing some heavy video encoding on my g74sx, which is pushing my cpu quite abit. Its currently averaging at a temp of 76 degrees Celsius, and max at 80. Am i putting too much load on my cpu? (This is VERY important as I will be encoding for like 5 days non-stop)
Thanks. All hail the republic!

That tempreture is higher than average but its still safe and not in the danger zone just like what cl-scott mentioned. I do however have a suggestion to you in regards to a cooling solution for your type of usage. Get a laptop cooling pad. I know alot of people won't agree to what i've suggested since the G74SX takes it's air from the top and not the underside of the laptop. BUT, in my personal experience, i took off the part which you open to access your HDD and ram and leave it open so that air from the cooling pad can push into the laptop from the bottom. Doing so, it has helped drop my temps about 3-5 degree Celsius at idle and about 2-3 degree Celsius on load. The figures might not seem much but one thing to note is that with the cooling pad, it takes a longer time for my laptop to reach peak temp than without it which means that i can keep it cooler for longer as well.

The cooling pad i am using is the CM Storm SF-19 Strike Force. It pushes large amounts of air with it's huge twin 140mm sized fans. If you are worried about noise for those fans, you can dial down the speed for a quieter work environment. If what you need is just max cooling, just dial it up to max again.

Hope that helps! :)

Cheers,
James

ravincia
09-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Alright thanks for the inputs guys! Really appreciate it