PDA

View Full Version : Install new SSD, Windows 7 options?

Number_27
09-24-2012, 07:52 PM
I just ordered a Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s and figure to open up my G74SX case, remove all HDDs, install this new SSD.

Assuming I do so, do I turn on the laptop and use my Recovery DVDs to install Windows 7? All I need to do? Then reload application prgrams (Office, etc.)?

If I put back in the removed HDDs "as is" (or "as was" as the case may be) will my system be as it was, no harm no foul? Just in case I screw up with SSD install I'd like to get back with ease to what I currently have.

Hoping to end with system comprising SSD with Windows 7 & application programs to boot from, and 7200 750GB HDD to store movies and TV recordings. I primarily use my G74SX as a sort of A/V server for three Xbox Windows Media Center extenders. Would like to boot quicker so I do not have to leave laptop on all the time.

Have also read that I can somehow obtain a Windows 7 ISO file and install just Win7 without all the Asus bloatware using my Windows License key on bottom of laptop. Sounds good, how?

I ahave upgraded from Home to Ultimate using the Windows upgrade and purchased key, so would like any copy of Win7 installed to ultimately be Ultimate. I assume if I succeed in installing Home Premium and I can again upgrade using my already purchased Win7 Ultimate upgrade key.

Any help is appreciated. I think I would prefer to install just Win7 without Asus bloatware but I have not experienced any real trouble with the Asus stuff, just seems unnecessary to me.

Extra credit points: I have set up Media Center to use an Ethernet-connected Silicondust HDHR Prime digital tuner (3 individual HDTV tuners which allow me to use networked Xboxes as WMC extenders connected to each of my 3 TVs). If anyone knows how I might save the settings both in the Silicondust HDHR software (tuner setups) and WMC to make the reinstall easier, well, that would be above & beyond the call of duty.

cl-scott
09-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Generally speaking, yes, all you should need to do is boot off the restore DVDs and go from there to reinstall Windows on the SSD. The license key you have on the bottom of your computer is a volume license key, so it will NOT work with any ISO image. So, if you're not a fan of the bundled software, sorry, but the alternative is a lot of wasted time trying to contend with activation issues.

Afraid I can't help with the extra credit setup, except to suggest that you could try a disk imaging program instead of reinstalling from scratch. Not sure what a copy of Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image would run you, and there's also the free CloneZilla, but that would certainly be an option you could look at before you get too far along.

Number_27
09-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Many threads on clean Win7 installs.

Also, I found a Win7 CD in the product stuff for my HannSPREE Notebook. What if I loaded this and used my Asus product key for Win7? This is NOT my HannSPREE recovery disc which I separately have. I have 2 CD from HannSPREE 1) recovery disc w/ Win7 HP, and 2) what looks like and says is just Win7 but has Hannspree and notebook series along title top.

Actually both are DVD.

cl-scott
09-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Nope, that won't work either. Guess I left out the OEM part when I said you have a volume license key, so it's more properly a volume OEM license key, and one of those from Asus is completely different from one from Acer, Dell, Toshiba, HP, or anywhere else.

When you get into the realm of install media that came with computers, things get real murky real fast as to what will and will not work. This particular scenario will not work.

PILGRIM
09-25-2012, 03:56 AM
...The license key you have on the bottom of your computer is a volume license key, so it will NOT work with any ISO image. So, if you're not a fan of the bundled software, sorry, but the alternative is a lot of wasted time trying to contend with activation issues...

Sorry, but my experience tells otherwise. It may not work with other Windows 7 ISOs,
but it does with a Windows Home Premium 64 bit ISO.

...If I put back in the removed HDDs "as is" (or "as was" as the case may be) will my system be as it was, no harm no foul? Just in case I screw up with SSD install I'd like to get back with ease to what I currently have.

Yes. It's a good backup plan, especially if the laptop is sent to ASUS for repair.

...Have also read that I can somehow obtain a Windows 7 ISO file and install just Win7 without all the Asus bloatware using my Windows License key on bottom of laptop. Sounds good, how?

It has to be a Windows Home Premium 64 bit ISO.
You may download it here: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso

I ahave upgraded from Home to Ultimate using the Windows upgrade and purchased key, so would like any copy of Win7 installed to ultimately be Ultimate. I assume if I succeed in installing Home Premium and I can again upgrade using my already purchased Win7 Ultimate upgrade key.

Your assumption is right.

...I think I would prefer to install just Win7 without Asus bloatware but I have not experienced any real trouble with the Asus stuff, just seems unnecessary to me.

Likewise. It's commonly called Windows OS clean installation in the Forum.
Many have done it. Many are happy with it..

Good luck, if you choose to do a clean OS installation on your new SSD.
Welcome to the Forums..

IxPanda
09-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Have also read that I can somehow obtain a Windows 7 ISO file and install just Win7 without all the Asus bloatware using my Windows License key on bottom of laptop. Sounds good, how?

I've found the easiest way is to download the iso linked above, go to (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool ) and simply choose the iso and add it to a CD or USB. I went the USB route. make sure your BIOS are configured to allow you to boot from USB. It should come up with the USB name in the boot priorities in your BIOS. install windows as normal.

As for activation, I used the phone activation route. it took about 3 minutes and it activated just fine. I've reinstalled windows a few times now with no issues.

Good luck!

PILGRIM
09-25-2012, 02:40 PM
I've found the easiest way is to download the iso linked above, go to (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool ) and simply choose the iso and add it to a CD or USB. I went the USB route. make sure your BIOS are configured to allow you to boot from USB. It should come up with the USB name in the boot priorities in your BIOS. install windows as normal.

As for activation, I used the phone activation route. it took about 3 minutes and it activated just fine. I've reinstalled windows a few times now with no issues.

Good luck!

A good reminder, IxPanda. I concur the faster and more reliable Windows OS installation is via USB.

Number_27
09-25-2012, 03:14 PM
I saw in another thread where Brodyboy provided a list of drivers to update. Unsure of this step. When do I do this, after Win7 install & prior to Win7 update? And how do I do this, just copy driver files to some Win7 folder? Which folder?

And how do I obtain the drivers themselves?

Number_27
09-25-2012, 03:15 PM

Good luck!

Care to expand on this phone activation route? I do have a license with product key on bottom of laptop.

PILGRIM
09-25-2012, 03:26 PM
I saw in another thread where Brodyboy provided a list of drivers to update. Unsure of this step. When do I do this, after Win7 install & prior to Win7 update? And how do I do this, just copy driver files to some Win7 folder? Which folder?

And how do I obtain the drivers themselves?

Install the drivers one at a time as listed by Brody, just after Windows installation.
Windows updates should be done after all drivers were installed and tested.
You may store all drivers in the HDD Secondary Drive or in any USB-connected drive.

Get drivers here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=

PILGRIM
09-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Care to expand on this phone activation route? I do have a license with product key on bottom of laptop.

Another easy way of activating it is via Windows Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System.
(Right-click "Computer", then go to "Properties")

IxPanda
09-25-2012, 03:46 PM

After you enter your product key, you still have to activate windows.
It's fairly simple. If you have an internet connection you may not even need to do the activation by phone. if you right click computer and go to properties it will open up the page where you see your windows index score and things.. at the bottom of that page will be an activate windows link you can click. I *believe* at first it will try and activate via the internet and if it's successful, all is well. I was prompted to activate via phone. It gives you a number to call, and an Installation ID number. I believe the number that it generates is based on your product key. you then say or key in the ID number, and it will give you numbers you then key in in the fields below. after that it verifies and Windows is then activated.

I recommend checking out this article. If I was not clear enough, I apologize!
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-windows-7-phone.html

Good luck!

PILGRIM
09-25-2012, 04:18 PM
..and by the way, Number_27..

When you're done installing, don't forget to update the firmware of your Crucial SSD.
There's supposed to be a bug generated on this paricular SSD after a certain amount of time-usage.

See this thread by zsld0423, for more info: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?21290-For-anyone-with-a-Crucial-M4-SSD-read-this-(just-in-case)

Number_27
09-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks, you;re both righteous individuals.

If I only have the SSD I guess I can save drivers to it until I install the second HDD? Is there a particular folder or does this happen automatically when I download drivers?

zsld0423
09-26-2012, 01:17 PM

If I only have the SSD I guess I can save drivers to it until I install the second HDD? Is there a particular folder or does this happen automatically when I download drivers?

Once you install the SSD, you should download the drivers you need and install them immediately, no need to wait on the 2nd Hard Drive. And definitely install the drivers to the SSD, and not the 2nd HDD. I downloaded all my drivers, but after I was done with them I moved them to the 2nd Hard Drive just in case I ever needed them again, but it's not mandatory. By default, Internet Explorer will probably ask you where you want to save the files, but normally browsers just put the files in the Downloads folder on your hard drive, which would be C:\Users\USERNAME\Downloads\

TL;DR- Best bet is to do a clean windows install, download Drivers from here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=) and install them immediately. Your choice if you want to keep the drivers afterwards or not.

IxPanda
09-26-2012, 02:05 PM

to be honest, I'd probably start with the network drivers from the Asus disk, then get the most recent ones from the forums or the specific websites. Keep them on the SSD. you want them fast of course. like zsld0423 said.. keep 'em on a back up for easy access if you need to reinstall windows.

PILGRIM
09-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Install the drivers one at a time as listed by Brody, just after Windows installation.
Windows updates should be done after all drivers were installed and tested.
You may store all drivers in the HDD Secondary Drive or in any USB-connected drive.

On second reading, I found my third sentence to be vague. Sorry about that..
Download all the needed drivers and store/save them to any storage drive other than the SSD.
This is in preparation for your Windows clean installation.

Have you installed Windows OS to the SSD yet?
If so, and as the others have said, install the needed drivers right away.
All drivers should auto-install to your SSD's Local Disk ( C: ).

Number_27
09-26-2012, 03:36 PM
to be honest, I'd probably start with the network drivers from the Asus disk, then get the most recent ones from the forums or the specific websites. Keep them on the SSD. you want them fast of course. like zsld0423 said.. keep 'em on a back up for easy access if you need to reinstall windows.

Not sure how to extract just the network drivers from the Asus recovery disks I made.

I assume you advise this so that I will have Internet access after loading Win7 to SSD and thus access to all the other drivers I need, which makes mucho sense. Is there a way to save these drivers to a USB flash drive prior to removing my existing C: drive and then transfer to SSD after loeding Win7 to SSD?

Number_27
09-26-2012, 03:38 PM
On second reading, I found my third sentence to be vague. Sorry about that..
Download all the needed drivers and store/save them to any storage drive other than the SSD.
This is in preparation for your Windows clean installation.

Have you installed Windows OS to the SSD yet?
If so, and as the others have said, install the needed drivers right away.
All drivers should auto-install to your SSD's Local Disk ( C: ).

Only ordered SSD Sunday. Should be here by week''s end. Just developing procedure and using this thread to answer my own questions re procedure and kick tires on my plan. Proper planning preventing poor performance and all . . .

zsld0423
09-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Only ordered SSD Sunday. Should be here by week''s end. Just developing procedure and using this thread to answer my own questions re procedure and kick tires on my plan. Proper planning preventing poor performance and all . . .

Just thought about this, but if you happen to have a 1GB USB or something around that size, you could download all the drivers and place them on that so you have it instantly after installing the SSD and installing windows :P

IxPanda
09-26-2012, 04:28 PM
... Proper planning preventing poor performance and all . . .

Rule of thumb for SSD's.

Don't defragment them, assuming you're using Windows 7, I do believe Windows 7 should have TRIM automatically enabled. From what I've read, defragmenting SSD's causes for a decrease in drive life.

Although I'm sure you've done some research. Thought I'd contribute my two cents!

Number_27
09-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Rule of thumb for SSD's.

Don't defragment them, assuming you're using Windows 7, I do believe Windows 7 should have TRIM automatically enabled. From what I've read, defragmenting SSD's causes for a decrease in drive life.

Although I'm sure you've done some research. Thought I'd contribute my two cents!

So are you saying I need to change some default setting in Win7? If so, which one & how?

does ccleaner free space wipes also degrade SSD?

IxPanda
09-26-2012, 09:22 PM
So are you saying I need to change some default setting in Win7? If so, which one & how?

does ccleaner free space wipes also degrade SSD?

I'm posting this from a mac because my laptop isn't with me so I'm saying this from memory.

But I believe if you go to the defrag application you can click on the SSD drive and under schedule change it to never run.

Number_27
09-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Going to use SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC SSD rather than Crucial due to BSOD firmware update issue. Seems the Samsung has better track record and need to eliminate as many issues as possible.

When uninstalling a program in Win7 I noticed all driver apps are listed, is that good way to identify ALL drivers I need?

Number_27
09-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Just thought about this, but if you happen to have a 1GB USB or something around that size, you could download all the drivers and place them on that so you have it instantly after installing the SSD and installing windows :P

If I understand you right, there are files I can copy off my existing HDD C: to USB flash that I can then run (or copy???) to my new SSD C:. If that is right, where are these files located, how do I recognize them etc?

zsld0423
09-29-2012, 01:43 AM
If I understand you right, there are files I can copy off my existing HDD C: to USB flash that I can then run (or copy???) to my new SSD C:. If that is right, where are these files located, how do I recognize them etc?

Yep, if go to the website at the end of this post it'll have a big list of all the drivers you'd need. If the browser you're using is firefox or chrome, I know the default location is the Downloads folder on your computer. All you'd have to do is copy all those files, which will probably be zip files, to the USB. Then, after you install windows, plug that usb in and copy the zip files back to the computer, then unzip and install.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=

Number_27
09-29-2012, 02:07 AM
Yep, if go to the website at the end of this post it'll have a big list of all the drivers you'd need. If the browser you're using is firefox or chrome, I know the default location is the Downloads folder on your computer. All you'd have to do is copy all those files, which will probably be zip files, to the USB. Then, after you install windows, plug that usb in and copy the zip files back to the computer, then unzip and install.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=

OK, but it says I need to download keyboard & mouse drivers. Will the keyboard & mouse work to copy and unzip these files, i.e. will i/o work to install the drivers files before i/o drivers are installed?

zsld0423
09-29-2012, 02:50 AM
OK, but it says I need to download keyboard & mouse drivers. Will the keyboard & mouse work to copy and unzip these files, i.e. will i/o work to install the drivers files before i/o drivers are installed?

Yeah, your touchpad and keyboard will work regardless, though the touchpad may seem hyper-sensitive since the driver won't be installed yet

Number_27
09-29-2012, 09:10 PM
I suppose there isn;t any harm in installing ALL as drivers for which there is no hardware are superfluous, no harm done?

What if I install more than one of the nVidia drivers? I think I have 560M or similar n my G74sx

dstrakele
09-29-2012, 10:40 PM
The hardware devices in your laptop require device drivers to function. When Windows 7 first starts after installation, it will detect the NVIDIA video card and touchpad, and install its Plug-N-Play video and touchpad drivers, providing basic functionality. You can see what driver is installed to a device by viewing its Properties in Device Manager.

When you install an NVIDIA driver, it will replace the Microsoft Plug-N-Play driver. If you then install a different version NVIDIA driver, it will replace the previous NVIDIA driver. So if you install multiple NVIDIA drivers, the last one installed will be the one in use by the video card.

I recommend you install only the latest NVIDIA driver (the Mobile version 306.23 WHQL) and the latest touchpad driver for your G74SX. Consider obtaining and installing the latest device drivers for all the devices in your laptop.

Number_27
10-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all the help. Went relatively smoothly.

Hung up on Ethernet Controller driver as I had downloaded realtek driver itself and not the driver installation software, the bigger file. Oce I got install package all was well.

PILGRIM
10-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks for all the help. Went relatively smoothly.

Hung up on Ethernet Controller driver as I had downloaded realtek driver itself and not the driver installation software, the bigger file. Oce I got install package all was well.

Smooth as Chinese silk, I suppose? (I know the feeling, he he..)
One thing I like about your kind, Number_27, your cautious character
made it sure this thread was a success..:)

Cheers to you, and to everyone contributing to it!..

..And should there be anything that still needs to be ironed out,
just holler to the good old "Older G Series Forum"!
"Older" it may be, but wiser it may continue to be, for as long as you help in making it so..