PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Making A Lot of Noise

Agent.Orange
09-25-2012, 01:00 AM
Hey Guys,

I've exchanged for multiple asus G75s now, and I was surprised when I saw that my current one holds a hitachi instead of seagate (3/4 were seagate). At first I noticed that this hard drive has a much more audible clicking sound to it, but I've read that is normal....sounds exactly like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qZEsH24Qmw)

I can also hear it rev up from time to time and rev down to the point where it is silent. Is this normal?

Files seem to run fine from it.

Shawnnepc
09-25-2012, 01:34 AM
Hey Guys,

I've exchanged for multiple asus G75s now, and I was surprised when I saw that my current one holds a hitachi instead of seagate (3/4 were seagate). At first I noticed that this hard drive has a much more audible clicking sound to it, but I've read that is normal....sounds exactly like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qZEsH24Qmw)

I can also hear it rev up from time to time and rev down to the point where it is silent. Is this normal?

Files seem to run fine from it.

It's not unheard of to have that issue. As long as it's not giving you issues you should be fine

Agent.Orange
09-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Which? The clicking? or the winding up/winding down?

I've read that the clicking in this case is normal, but can't find anything on the other issue.

mrwolf
09-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Yea i have the same hitachi drive and it does make that faint clicking sound.. But its not a big deal, everything seems to run perfectly fine..

I guess you should watch out if u experience any hiccups or other issues while accessing the HDD, then you should back things up jus incase.. Otherwise it should be ok :)

Agent.Orange
09-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Mrwolf,

Do you also get the winding up and winding down sounds?

mrwolf
09-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Yea but i think the winding sound is from the Bluray drive no? Happens randomly sometimes..

I do hear a little beeping/starting sound of the HDD when i have left it idle for a while because i have set it to turn off HDD after 1 hour on the power4gear settings..

by the way, are you hearing this from your Main HDD (C) ? or the secondary one?

Agent.Orange
09-26-2012, 02:37 AM
I hear it winding up and down much more frequently than an hour.

And good question, this is my secondary HDD, my primary is an SSD.