PDA

View Full Version : Finally took the Win8 plunge..

zsld0423
09-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Installation

2. I used the Windows USB/DVD Too (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool)l to put the Windows 8 image onto a 4GB USB (There was about 500mb left after the image was done)

3. Install went fairly well, really quick. Easy to set up

4. Got it all set up, and I'm at the (In my opinion :P) dreaded Metro Interface. So first thing I did was download Start8 from Stardock, it's been the BEST Start Button replacement I've found. Some quick features that I really like... A. There's an option to bypass the Metro screen when you log in. B. There's an option to disable the hotspots that are at the edges of the screen. I'll probably end up buying this software once it's out of beta, I think it's at version 0.90 right now.

Drivers

5. Started to install my drivers, yay! So here is where you'll want to pay attention...

A. Power4Gear (I like using the ROG button at the top right) - Installed fine, but it did give me an error that it couldn't install the gadget, I clicked OK and it finished the install (If you didn't know, Microsoft decided to kill off gadgets in Win8 and you can't download them from the Microsoft Site anymore, can't even install the ones I already have downloaded)

B. ATK Package Version 1.0.0014 - Installed fine

C. Realtek Audio - Installed fine, Install THIS version, it is version 2.70 (http://ilocker.bsu.edu/users/zach/world_shared/G74SX/64bit_Vista_Win7_Win8_R270.exe), compared to the version 2.67 on the Driver thread, and this one supports Win8 (It's 64bit version btw)

D. Card Reader - Installed fine

E. Ethernet/Wireless - Worked out of the box, no driver install needed

F. USB3.0 Driver - Installed fine

Troublesome Drivers

G. Nvidia 306.23 64bit Windows7/8 Driver - Driver kept failing and recovering, and eventually resulted in me blue-screening, going into a bootloop, and having to do a system restore because of the blue screens as soon as the computer starts up.

---Solution---
This is really weird, and may not apply to everyone, but here's my experience with it. To combat the constant blue-screens of a Fresh-Installed 306.23 Nvidia Driver, I installed the 304.48 one, which dealt with all the issues EXCEPT the laptop would Blue-Screen whenever the lid was closed. After some searching and going through the .DMP files, I decided to go from the 304.48 to the 306.23 again and see what happened. Here's what I tried just so all the bases are covered.
1. First, made a restore point with the 304.48 just in case :P
2. ---This option did NOT work--- Ran the 306.23 installer, and at the spot to choose between Express or Custom, I chose Custom and selected the option to uninstall the current driver. BAD CHOICE. After clicking install, the computer instantly blue-screened, restarted, and when I went to Programs and Features, the old 304.48 Driver was still installed and working. Tried it again, blue-screened again and restarted.
3. ---This option DID work--- Ran the 306.23 installer, and this time I chose Express and it started to install without a hitch, the install finished successfully and had me restart. I restarted, came back to the desktop, and closing the lid no longer blue-screens and crashes!! So that's 1 error thankfully conquered :D

Solution also tested and verified by IxPanda

4. ---This solution DOES work, and is the easiest so far--- Instead of using the 306.x driver, download the newest Beta Driver from Nvidia, which is the 310.33 and do a fresh install with that, and you should be set.

Thanks to Cheetoox for the heads up

H. Sentelic Touchpad driver version 9.1.3.5. This can also apply to the Synaptic Touchpad as well - Every time I clicked Setup and tried to install, it came up with an error that the driver was not applicable to my system and couldn't continue

---Solution---
Since that's a fairly easy workaround, I'll try and explain as best I can.
What you want to do is open up the Device Manager (Right click on Computer and click Manage)
Go to the Mice and other Pointing Devices tree.
Expand that, and there should be an option for something like PS/2 Compatible port or HID Compliant Mouse. (If you don't have an external mouse plugged in, it should be the only option).
What you do is right click on the PS/2 Compatible port/HID Compliant Mouse
Click Update Driver Software
Then click Browse My Computer for Driver Software,
click Let me Pick from a list of drivers on my computer,
then Have Disk, then click Browse.
It will bring up a popup window, and you'll want to navigate to the extracted folder for the Touchpad Driver.
Inside that folder, there should be 1 file you can pick that's called fspad.
Choose that and click Open, then OK, then Next and it should install in a few seconds.
After that, it should prompt you to Reboot and when it starts back up you'll have the Finger Sensing Pad Configuration options in the Mouse section of the Control Panel

Other than that, the only real thing left for me to do is drop by www.ninite.com to grab some software, and then install stuff like DirectX and copy my saved games from my backup to my newly reformatted C:\ Drive.

Also, for anyone who takes an interest, here's a comparison between Win7 Experience Index and Win8 Experience Index
Windows 7
Windows 8

PILGRIM
09-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Good for you, you already got the Win 8 Pro Edition ahead of time.. :)
I've been waiting for it to arrive (Mid-October?).

G. Nvidia 306.23 64bit Windows7/8 Driver - Driver kept failing and recovering, and eventually resulted in me blue-screening, going into a bootloop, and having to do a system restore because of the blue screens as soon as the computer starts up.

The irony!.. And nVidia claimed the 306.23 WHQL version is supposed to be the first Win 8 compliant!..

Glad to have one like you as an early adapter. Thanks for sharing your experience and the tips for troubleshooting. Please post more updates as they arise..

zsld0423
09-26-2012, 12:32 AM
1 bug so far, which may be a deal-breaker for people who utilize dual-monitors and go from 1 to 2 screens often. When I plug in my HDMI cable, it's set to extend the display, which works fine. But when I close the lid on my laptop, the computer either blue-screens and then restarts, or there's no blue-screen at all and it just restarts, and comes back up with the usual error about windows not shutting down correctly.

I already made sure the setting for laptop lid was set to do nothing when closed, and it's still doing it. If I go into the screen resolution section and manually set it to only display the screen on 1 display, it works fine, but as soon as the lid is closed the computer crashes. Haven't found any fixes yet, but I'm still looking

Edit: ALSO, for anyone who's wanting to transfer their saved games, MAKE SURE you back up your C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData folder, because it will have a lot of settings. If you are playing any game that uses Games for Windows Live, YOU NEED TO HAVE THE MICROSOFT SUBFOLDER or you will LOSE your saved games. This really only affected me on Batman Arkham City that I got from Steam, but if other people down the road have issues with Windows 8 +GFWL, I'll try my best to lay out how I got it working right.

PILGRIM
09-26-2012, 03:46 AM
Interesting result with the WEI comparisons. Any idea on why graphics went down a bit on Win 8?
Glad to see the Processor and Primary Hard Disk went up a notch or two, though..

Overall impression on Win 8- boot time, multi-media playing, web surfing, gaming, etc.?
Is it any zippier? Or no noticeable difference with Win 7?

zsld0423
09-26-2012, 04:32 AM
I'm thinking it's because with Windows 7, the scale was from 1-7.9, and in Windows 8 it goes from 1-9.9, so if I had to guess I'd say that's why.

Boot times - On average, with an SSD, Windows 7 would boot in about 20-25 seconds. Windows 8 boots in around 15 seconds. For multi-media playing, no noticeable difference, my iTunes/Google Music behave the same way as they did before. Web surfing is the same as well, no real difference at all. Games also don't seem to have much if any difference than Windows 7, I haven't had any crashes so far. Skyrim and GW2 have been playing fine, along with Batman Arkham City.

It does seem a little bit "zippier" and overall a little more fluid, but nothing life changing. The ribbon interface in Windows Explorer is helpful, really nice to be able to get to certain things (show hidden folders as an example) much quicker than going through the Win7 interface, but nothing too bad. I really like the Task Manager overhaul, it seems to function a lot better and it has the Startup Programs incorporated into it, with a simple Enable/Disable button. Almost everything in general has more of a "square" feel than Windows 7, that I noticed pretty quickly.

Can't really comment too much on the Metro apps, since I have it set to bypass metro on login, I haven't touched any of it so far. Also, another nice thing is that along with having a password on the computer, I can set additional passwords that can be used. So for example, I set up a PIN so that I can just type in a quick number and log in faster than typing my entire password. Just stuff like that, ease-of-access.

PILGRIM
09-26-2012, 07:56 AM
All right.. Methinks it's also worth it upgrading to Windows 8 as soon as I can grab a copy.
Thanks for sharing, zsld0423.. Appreciate it a lot. :D

IxPanda
09-26-2012, 02:19 PM
All right.. Methinks it's also worth it upgrading to Windows 8 as soon as I can grab a copy.
Thanks for sharing, zsld0423.. Appreciate it a lot. :D
Before I had to RMA my G74SX I had a dual-boot of windows 7 and 8. Just a few things I discovered I figured I'd share with everyone. :)

First time I installed Windows 8. I did it via an upgrade through Windows 7. I HIGHLY recommend people don't do this. for one thing, I didn't have the option to (or missed) install to my seperate partition. It took over my Windows 7 partition.
- The upgrade went perfectly smooth. however, when I started messing around with it after it finished. I had serious compatibility issues. a lot of things would not work with Windows 8. Including the application version of IE10. The Metro version worked fine. Lots of driver issues, etc.
- Getting tired of the issues I formatted and did a fresh install. It made a world of difference. I had few to no issues with compatibility. I gave IE10 a shot but ended up going back to chrome again. :)
- As for speed. I found it was considerably faster actually. A friend of mine installed Windows 8 on an older computer with about 2G of ram. and he is seriously impressed with the responsiveness.
- The new interface is slightly difficult to get used to, finding the power button, PC settings, that sort of stuff was a little difficult. but it is there.
- Overall, I would recommend ROGers give it a fair shot.

- TL;DR, Don't upgrade. Only fresh install it and give it a fair chance. :)

PILGRIM
09-26-2012, 03:08 PM
...Don't upgrade. Only fresh install it and give it a fair chance...

Thanks for the warning, IxPanda . Don't know why I said "upgrade"
eventhough what was really on my mind was to buy a physical copy.
Could be that Windows 8 is technically an upgrade to Windows 7..

This is a very helpful thread, especially to those who wanted to migrate to Windows 8.

zsld0423
09-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the warning, IxPanda . Don't know why I said "upgrade"
eventhough what was really on my mind was to buy a physical copy.
Could be that Windows 8 is technically an upgrade to Windows 7..

This is a very helpful thread, especially to those who wanted to migrate to Windows 8.

Yes :D still about a month to go until Win8 comes out, I may have to *try* and make this a comprehensive guide for Win8 on the G74, though by that time I'm sure there will be a lot of other posts with questions about it haha

IxPanda
09-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the warning, IxPanda . Don't know why I said "upgrade"...

Wasn't directed at you, PILGRIM, I just thought I'd share my experience with it. :)

zsld0423
09-27-2012, 08:16 PM
New issue now, which is related to the Multi-Display problem. When closing the lid at all, the system crashes. Even if I set it to do nothing when closing the lid. I don't remember if I had this issue with the Release Preview/Consumer Preview or not, so I'll have to dig through the dump file and see if I can find out what went wrong. If anyone wants to see the dump file to see if they can figure out as well, I'll upload that.

mini-update edit: May have found the issue, currently testing on it as I update from a work computer
result: aaaaaaand it didn't work :( back to the drawing board now

edit again: another possible lead now..

Final edit: Well.... 99% sure I've found the culprit now, and it's pretty ridiculous as to how I did it/stumbled upon it, but gotta do some more testing still while I'm at work. Hopefully the other ROG'ers that are a part of this forum don't have the same problem I do. But if they do, at least I think I've got it fixed :D

last edit: going to update OP with the information. Long story short, it was the Nvidia Driver, but I had to go through a different way to get it working.

IxPanda
09-28-2012, 01:08 AM
...I don't remember if I had this issue with the Release Preview/Consumer Preview or not...

I'm using the consumer preview and if I close the lid on my laptop (currently not connected to anything other then screen.) It crashes mine too, I'm running the consumer preview version. to hopefully help you zsld0423, I'm running nVidia driver 304.48 and very basic drivers.. don't have the exact list.

edit: Did it after posting this. This time I just get a black screen and next screen I get is the Asus splash.

zsld0423
09-28-2012, 01:18 AM
I'm using the consumer preview and if I close the lid on my laptop (currently not connected to anything other then screen.) It crashes mine too, I'm running the consumer preview version. to hopefully help you zsld0423, I'm running nVidia driver 304.48 and very basic drivers.. don't have the exact list.

edit: Did it after posting this. This time I just get a black screen and next screen I get is the Asus splash.

If possible, are you able to make a System Restore point, and then download the 306.23 Driver and install that? But make sure to pick the *Express* option instead of custom, and after rebooting see if that fixes your lid issue? Hoping this fix doesn't only apply to me

IxPanda
09-28-2012, 01:36 AM
If possible, are you able to make a System Restore point, and then download the 306.23 Driver and install that? But make sure to pick the *Express* option instead of custom, and after rebooting see if that fixes your lid issue? Hoping this fix doesn't only apply to me

interesting turn of events.... attempting to install "306.23-notebook-win8-win7-winvista-32bit-international-whql" Apparently not compatible with my version of Windows.

zsld0423
09-28-2012, 01:46 AM
Ah, it looks like you selected the 32-bit version of the Driver :P and not the 64-bit

IxPanda
09-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Ah, it looks like you selected the 32-bit version of the Driver :P and not the 64-bit

...hahah oops. Thank you. I'll try again.

IxPanda
09-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Alright so. Installing the 64 bit version of the driver went a little better.

However, I noticed nothing actually updated except the graphics driver. everything else either said failed or new/same version. I can now close the lid and reopen it without a crash! I'll have to try it with a 2nd monitor attached later.

Nice fix!

zsld0423
09-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Alright so. Installing the 64 bit version of the driver went a little better.

However, I noticed nothing actually updated except the graphics driver. everything else either said failed or new/same version. I can now close the lid and reopen it without a crash! I'll have to try it with a 2nd monitor attached later.

Nice fix!

Yes, I noticed as well pretty much the only thing that actually updated was the graphics driver itself. But I'm glad that fix worked for you as well!

Also, just plugged in my laptop to my other monitor via HDMI, and shut the lid, and yes it works too!

IxPanda
09-28-2012, 03:17 AM
Yes, I noticed as well pretty much the only thing that actually updated was the graphics driver itself. But I'm glad that fix worked for you as well!

Also, just plugged in my laptop to my other monitor via HDMI, and shut the lid, and yes it works too!

Very nice fix. did it not work for you when you did a clean install? Just curious.

Tweakurr
09-28-2012, 03:35 AM
Just tagging this for future reference when I switch to Win 8.

Thanks for sharing.

zsld0423
09-28-2012, 03:50 AM
Very nice fix. did it not work for you when you did a clean install? Just curious.

When I did a clean install with no previous video driver in, it kept blue-screening and eventually did a System Restore on it's own because it wouldn't let me log in anymore. When I did a custom install and selected the check box to uninstall the previous driver, it blue-screened before it could ever uninstall the 304.48 driver. So idk lol, as long as it works now

zsld0423
10-27-2012, 01:29 AM
Bumping this since Windows 8 is officially out now and it will help with general info :D

IxPanda
10-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Bumping this since Windows 8 is officially out now and it will help with general info :D

Beauty.

Your touchpad driver work around is excellent. my Fn F9 actually works now as well, it never used to!

zsld0423
10-27-2012, 01:46 AM
Beauty.

Your touchpad driver work around is excellent. my Fn F9 actually works now as well, it never used to!

Woo! Glad that worked for you!

sennevdb
10-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks for sharing, this will come in useful in a couple of days when I can get my hands on W8. The ninite tip is also pretty useful, didn't know such thing existed.

:D

zsld0423
10-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks for sharing, this will come in useful in a couple of days when I can get my hands on W8. The ninite tip is also pretty useful, didn't know such thing existed.

:D

Indeed, Ninite has been a life-saver for work as well as my personal computer needs :D Ninite also now has the Classic Start application for Windows 8, though I recommend you at least try out the Metro Interface and see what you think of it first

cheetoox
10-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Same problem here with 306.x driver.

I've not tried to install 304.x first to make it works according to your solution, but i tried directly the new 310.33 beta, and it works from scratch :)

It's a better solution for me, as i'm installing from blank disk, i find it more clean ;)

Btw, thanks a lot for your solutions !

zsld0423
11-01-2012, 02:50 AM
Same problem here with 306.x driver.

I've not tried to install 304.x first to make it works according to your solution, but i tried directly the new 310.33 beta, and it works from scratch :)

It's a better solution for me, as i'm installing from blank disk, i find it more clean ;)

Btw, thanks a lot for your solutions !

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize there was a new beta out, so I'll add that info to the OP :D

euanpetrie
11-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Does anyone have very sluggish performance out of Windows 8?
I upgraded last week and I am almost at the breaking point to switch back to Windows 7. I have a G53SW with SSD and 16GB memory. Windows 8 boots fast no doubt, but ever program takes FORRREVERRRR to load, like a good 30 seconds for firefox.. an install file... 30-60 seconds just for the pop up to initialize. This goes for pretty much everything, and as well as in firefox or windows explorer it's like every 3rd action I do it just spools... (not responding). I did a clean install of the OS too so I don't know what's going on here. Only programs i have running at start up is my nvidia control panel and avast anti virus.

From the sounds of it people on here have had great results with the OS, what happened to me???

Also, my keyboard back lighting, plus the FN keys don't work. TRied installing the Windows 7 version, and Win8 stops me from doing so.

zsld0423
11-02-2012, 04:14 AM
Does anyone have very sluggish performance out of Windows 8?
I upgraded last week and I am almost at the breaking point to switch back to Windows 7. I have a G53SW with SSD and 16GB memory. Windows 8 boots fast no doubt, but ever program takes FORRREVERRRR to load, like a good 30 seconds for firefox.. an install file... 30-60 seconds just for the pop up to initialize. This goes for pretty much everything, and as well as in firefox or windows explorer it's like every 3rd action I do it just spools... (not responding). I did a clean install of the OS too so I don't know what's going on here. Only programs i have running at start up is my nvidia control panel and avast anti virus.

From the sounds of it people on here have had great results with the OS, what happened to me???

Also, my keyboard back lighting, plus the FN keys don't work. TRied installing the Windows 7 version, and Win8 stops me from doing so.

Not exactly sure about the slow-downs, the only thing I can think of (and it's definitely a long-shot) would be the avast anti-virus. I haven't used an anti-virus for 6+ months now, and I haven't ever had any virus issues. And what version of the ATK Package did you try to install? I installed 1.0.0014 without any issues and my backlight keys work fine, along with the other Fn keys

WarSxNes
11-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Hi .... Im here cuz Im looking for "how to fix the FN Keys".

I have a EEE PC 1001PDX that was bringing windows 7 Starter. Ok now I installed windows 8 but the first problem that I have is FN keys do not work at win8.

I tried to install the KB Filter Utility for WinXP &Win7
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=20&s=1&m=Eee%20PC%201001PXD&os=29&ft=26&f_name=KBFilter_WinXP_Win7_Z1003_Z131_Z1001.zip#KB Filter_WinXP_Win7_Z1003_Z131_Z1001.zip
But this doesnt work. So surfing at google.com I found this post.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25109-USB-Port-FN-issues-after-Win-8-Upgrade
Where someone says installed ATK_package 1.0.014 on his G74SX and works. Well Now I tried to install ATK_package Version V1.0.0022 but didnt work.

Windows 8 works great on my EEE PC 1001PDX but with out the FN keys.

I need help. If anyone know I miss something pls let me know.

===============================================

EEE PC 1001PXD
Original OS = Windows 7 Starter
Clean OS installed = Windows 8 (no upgrade)
I tried the follows files =
1. KB Filter Utility for WinXP &Win7 Version V1.0.0.3/V1.31/V1.0. (cant be installed) this is the original file.
2. ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities Version V1.0.0022 (can be installed but doesnt work)

PLEASE CHECK THIS POST I explain better here my problem (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25316-Windows-8-FN-keys-issues-Eee-PC-1001PXD&p=184935#post184935)

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
11-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Have you been able to get the FN touch pad disable key to work? I have not been able to get this to work. All of the other function keys work.

Also, is there a way to uninstall Intel Rapid storage? I installed this and believe it is causing slow downs here and there.

Also, I used the chipset drivers from the asus website. Is this sufficient?

Thanks

Edit: I updated to the beta driver you suggested and the slow downs have seemed to disappear or at the very least, reduced dramatically.

Intel Rapid Store I feel isn't compatible with windows 8. I installed it. I do not see it in tray icons. I only have one hybrid SSD using ACPI. Feel as if I don't need it. My boot is like 10 seconds though. Not bad for a hybrid :X

A big reason for the upgrade in HD was Diablo 3. Constantly reading/writing causes stuttering on a lot of older HDS. Surprise surprise. The stuttering is still there. Pretty sure I'm down with blizzard games.

graywolf323
01-05-2013, 10:36 AM
oddly FN keys were working just fine for me until just the other day where now the only one that works is brightness, also the calculator key no longer works either :-/

zsld0423
01-05-2013, 08:50 PM
oddly FN keys were working just fine for me until just the other day where now the only one that works is brightness, also the calculator key no longer works either :-/

I had that same issue as well, I believe all I had to do was uninstall the ATK Package, restart, and reinstall it, and they were working again. But very weird that the issue even occurs

graywolf323
01-06-2013, 12:20 AM
I had that same issue as well, I believe all I had to do was uninstall the ATK Package, restart, and reinstall it, and they were working again. But very weird that the issue even occurs

just uninstalled the ATK package for the G74 and installed the WIndows 8 ATK for G75 instead and everything works now :)

zsld0423
01-06-2013, 02:08 AM
just uninstalled the ATK package for the G74 and installed the WIndows 8 ATK for G75 instead and everything works now :)

Awesome! Glad that worked for ya

bob rack
01-23-2013, 12:08 AM
Tried your solution for the Sentilic touchpad except I used v9.1.77 At first it wouldn't update drive because of it being an unsigned driver. But after disabling this safety protical in Widows 8, I was able to install the driver and found this version to work just fine, so far Thanks for your suggestions!!! :)

redheadedrod
11-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Tried this with 8.1 Pro.... With the G74SX with 3d

Have not tried the Power4Gear yet but I did load one from a 75VX and that works although it ends up just being a hotkey to the power settings. So I expect the same experience if I load the original for the 74sx

Most everything loaded on its own. The 3d glasses driver kept showing up as a nvidia usb device but it eventually figured out which driver it needed after a couple resets.

Still had to load the Card Reader and ATK packages. Used the ones in the first post.
I also still had to load the touch pad driver the same way it mentions here but it did work. I am happy with this...

I bought an Intel 7260 wifi/bluetooth card to replace the one in the computer because I had read the drivers were not compatible with windows 8. I have not tested the blue tooth but have been using the wifi for a couple weeks without issue. Using with the recognized drivers with windows.

I REALLy wanted to load 8.1 pro on this machine so I could use it in my classes with the most up to date windows. Now that I finally got it working I am pretty happy. It boots up much faster on my SDD than win 7 did.

With the ATK my wireless card still is turned on and off but has a different icon than the old driver with the old card did. Blue tooth is enabled all the time currently. Will be testing the BT driver later and see if I can get it to work with a headset and keyboard. But looks good! Thanks for the posting. And I had not heard of ninite either.

Rodney

Draconomicron
12-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Where I Can Download the Driver for "Sentelic Touch Pad" for Windows 8 ?
On the Asus Dowload I only found the "Touchpad_Sentelic_Win7_64_Z9177"

Thank's