PDA

View Full Version : Recovering issues from Windows 8

bcpaul
09-25-2012, 06:34 PM
FACTORY RECOVERY ISSUES FROM WINDOWS 8:
Installed windows 8 and found it to be buggy. Computer froze and unresponsive, sleep but would not wake up. So I tried F8, F9 on restart but it does nothing under windows 8. I created the recovery disks (4 dvd's) AFTER I installed windows 8. I ran through the recovery, but I got this:
"RECOVERY: Your PC needs to be repaired. An unexpected error occurred. Error 0xc0000001. You'll need the recovery tools on your installation disk."

Frustrated, I thought to just install an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Prem and it worked, but get the same recovery screen error on bootup.

So I changed the boot order (esc key on bootup) from Windows boot manager P0 to P1: ST9500423AS.
This works, but I still want to get the computer in a factory state with the drivers pre-installed etc. What can I do?
I installed a partition manager and the recovery partition is still there.
I realize I can just re-install drivers, but I would like to be able to get the factory restore in the future if I need to.

Help...I really messed this up

FORGOT TO MENTION: I re-installed the recovery utility, but upon running in Windows 7 oem it says this: Recovery partition does not exist

Shawnnepc
09-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Bcpaul,

Welcome to the ROG community!

Yikes!

You have two options:

You can purchase a set of recovery media from ASUS

or

Manually re-install Windows using vanilla Windows 7. You'll have to download the drivers from the ASUS site. You may need another computer to assist with this process

bcpaul
09-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Yikes all right. I just know enough to get myself in trouble :)
I am going to stay with the OEM of Win 7. Anyone know what the P0 Windows Boot is in the BIOS settings. If I select that one it comes up with the RECOVERY error. Is this the other drive with windows 8 on it? (which doesn't work any more).

Thanks