PDA

View Full Version : Bug (insect) in G73Jw display and ASUS response

samuelkwest
09-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Greetings,

I don't know what has got me spun up the most, the fact that there is an insect trapped inside my laptop display, or the fact that when I reported this to tech support (the laptop is still under warranty), I received an unbelievable reply.

my tech support request:
----------------------------

Greetings,

I have a bug in my display... an actual insect, not a software error.

To repeat, and to be clear, a small insect has, somehow, gotten into my display
under the glass and can be seen crawling around.

This machine is still under warranty, I believe. What should I do?

- s.west

ASUS tech support reply:

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

Please reinstall VGA driver from the link:ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download G73Jw

If still, I suggest you to register the RMA or call the number 1-888-678-3688 for help. Please enter the following page which is the link of RMA: http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx
Sorry for any inconvenience that caused to you.

If you have another problem, please get contact with us ASAP.
Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Carol
ASUS Customer Service
-----------------------

Reinstall the VGA driver? Really? Surely even the pattern recognition software should have flagged the word 'insect'...

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Has anyone else ever experienced having a bug inside their display?

Sinless
09-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Hahahahah hilarious.

Try to make a call to Asus Support.

keltbear
09-25-2012, 10:41 PM
wow, i think you should post a pic/video....

and RMA that.

samuelkwest
09-25-2012, 10:43 PM
I'll try. It's pretty small, probably only a millimeter long...

cl-scott
09-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Let's play nice now. Who here hasn't said something kind of stupid when they weren't paying attention? Seems like a lifetime ago, but I worked at a fast food place in high school. For whatever reason I guess I was one of the few people who could handle order taking and taking money at the same time... Sad, I know. It got to the point where I didn't even look at people's faces anymore, and at one point some former teacher of mine came through. Didn't even notice until she was at the window and calling out my name. Point of the story is, you do something all day, every day, it's easy to kind of get into a rut.

Now, that said, I'd have to double check, but typically insect infestation is not going to be covered by warranty. Without getting into graphic detail, let's just say insects don't exactly establish restrooms in some non-essential part of your device and then wait to void themselves only in those established restrooms/lavatories (don't want to make those on the other side o' the pond feel left out). They just kind of go as the need arises wherever that may be. That then corrodes the electronics, and not covered under most warranties. My former supervisor when I was working as a repair tech had a much more amusing way of describing it, but I also can't really repeat it in good company.

And interesting fun fact: It wasn't until 1998 in the US that there was a federal law granting people the right to a bathroom break.

samuelkwest
09-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Granted. But you gotta admit that I went out of my way to make sure that miscommunication didn't happen by placing two separate sentences/paragraphs with two different wordings. That's a pretty deep rut to be in.

However, my original quandary still stands: what to do? Whether or not it's warranted.

The bug hasn't moved in a couple of days, so I'm pretty sure it's dead. I've held the screen in a vertical orientation and tapped it, hoping it might fall to the bottom, but no go.

Can the display be removed from behind the glass? By me? or is that too difficult an operation?

- s.west

zsld0423
09-26-2012, 03:39 PM
After some *Preliminary* searching, it looks like it should be a fairly simple procedure. Here is a video going through a screen replacement for a G73 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JajGQE5OtsI) and here's a link to the Screen Surgeon's website, it looks like they sell the screen there. (http://screensurgeons.mybigcommerce.com/asus-g73j-g73jh-laptop-lcd-screen/) Also, here's another video of a complete teardown of the G73 for future use. (http://youtu.be/Tp90M_N6dzs). And if by chance the insect has done some physical damage to the screen, I did a quick google search and it looks like the actual screen isn't terribly expensive, ranging from about $60USD to $80USD. Here's the link for that (http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/ASUS/G73/).

Also, after seeing the thread title I pretty much did a triple take, I couldn't believe what I was reading until I read your first post :P

samuelkwest
09-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Very helpful! Thanks, a lot. I didn't do much searching, because this seemed to be such a crazy occurrence, I didn't figure there would be much posted on the subject. But the links you have provided will be very useful.

Thanks, again.

- s.west

dstrakele
09-26-2012, 04:34 PM
However, my original quandary still stands: what to do? Whether or not it's warranted.

The bug hasn't moved in a couple of days, so I'm pretty sure it's dead.

Since the bug died during the Warranty period, ASUS should replace it.

Seriously - since it is not a manufacturing defect, and the laptop is not a sealed system, I suspect ASUS would balk at removing the bug under Warranty, saying the bug entered your laptop after purchase. Also, the ASUS Accidentlal Damage Policy is very specific in covering damage due to drops, spills, and power surges, so it would likely not apply to your situation.

At least you know you are not alone: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=bug%20insect%20in&cp=28&gs_id=3w&xhr=t&q=bug+insect+in+laptop+display&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=bug+insect+in+laptop+display&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=cc847418ca37430c&biw=1053&bih=509

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIeU-Rvac4 is a decent video of this issue.

cl-scott
09-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Granted. But you gotta admit that I went out of my way to make sure that miscommunication didn't happen by placing two separate sentences/paragraphs with two different wordings. That's a pretty deep rut to be in.

The bug hasn't moved in a couple of days, so I'm pretty sure it's dead. I've held the screen in a vertical orientation and tapped it, hoping it might fall to the bottom, but no go.

Can the display be removed from behind the glass? By me? or is that too difficult an operation?

- s.west

Not necessarily on the rut issue, but that's really rather tangential (at best) to your issue at hand.

If you really want I can ask some higher ups whether or not insect infestation would be covered under accidental damage coverage, or even the regular limited warranty, but my strong suspicion would be no. Still, I have been surprised a time or two by things that Asus will cover that Apple (I used to do a lot of Apple repair work) would flat out refuse to even consider. This very well could be one of those times.

If you go and replace the display on your own, you're free to do so, but you assume all responsibility for anything that goes wrong. So before doing anything, I'd strongly suggest taking a little time to consider the possibility of what you would do if things go horribly wrong. It'd be one thing if you were already OOW, but you say your unit is still under warranty.

samuelkwest
09-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Not necessarily on the rut issue, but that's really rather tangential (at best) to your issue at hand.

Not necessarily? So you're saying that I didn't go, "...out of my way to make sure that miscommunication didn't happen by placing two separate sentences/paragraphs with two different wordings.

Look, just drop that line of commentary. My original tech support request should have been read carefully, and responded to appropriately by the Tech Support person. Period. So just let it go.

w.r.t. the rest of this, I am not pressing for Warranty Coverage. I have made that clear:

And pointing out that I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't:

If you go and replace the display on your own, you're free to do so, but you assume all responsibility...

Is unhelpful. In fact, you have made two posts in my thread that have offered no real help or guidance at all. Unlike the other, non-Asus-Customer-Loyalty posters. So why don't you just stay out of it?

Otherwise, thanks for the other postings that have provided some guidance. I'll figure out what to do going forward.

Also, if I were to replace the display, is there one, and only one, replacement part? Or could I use this as an opportunity to 'upgrade' the display? (I'm not even sure if that question makes sense)...

PILGRIM
09-27-2012, 04:27 PM
...However, my original quandary still stands: what to do? Whether or not it's warranted.
...Can the display be removed from behind the glass? By me? or is that too difficult an operation?...

Reading your thread, I've been thinking what would I do if I were in your situation.
Google didn't help much when I searched for opening up a G74 laptop screen.

Then I started staring at those smallish six (6) square rubberized paddings around the laptop screen
(four at the top, and two at the bottom). Out of curiousity, I pried out one of the squared rubbers
(bottom left), and found that underneath, it was one of the screws holding the screen to the back cover.
I'm deducing underneath all the squared rubbers must be all screws holding the screen together.

In short, you might try to do a DIY, and open the screen yourself (RMA doesn't look to be a good option.).
Hope this can help you eradicate that bug and the other "bug" that might have bitten you
when you posted at our Forum.:)

P.S. By the way, I put back that rubber padding with a glue.. Back to normal.

samuelkwest
09-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Yeah, it's just not worth pursuing the RMA, even if I thought it was ASUS's responsibility (which I don't). The bug is pretty small, and I do think that self-replacement is not going to be too big a deal.

zsld0423 provided me with some links, including:

http://screensurgeons.mybigcommerce.com/asus-g73j-g73jh-laptop-lcd-screen/

I also watched the youtube link he/she provided and it gave me confidence that this is doable. Then, I went back and read through the comments with the youtube video, and the implication there is that the screen can be upgraded... so I'm going to study through that material a little more.

Thanks, again.

- s.west

p.s. As long as I have the ear(s) of some of you guys, I have a key (on the laptop under discussion) that has had some of the paint scrape off. I don't know how it happened in the first place - although it's the 'D' key, which gets a lot of use. The keyboard backlight now shines through it and is pretty distracting. Are these keycaps easy to replace, and, if so, where/how do I get one?

Thanks.

PILGRIM
09-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I saw zsld0423's post, but dang China's YouTube restrictions, I can't see a thing..:mad:

Anyways, not sure, but these links might help regarding your secondary issue:
http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/servlet/the-16990/ASUS-G73-G73JH-G73JW/Detail
http://www.machinaelectronics.com/store/keyboardkeys/Asus_G73JH
http://www.outletpc.com/tp4665.html

Addendum: I understand, the WASD and arrow keys are subject to torture
especially with gaming. So what I did was to cover each with a "scotch tape"
to prevent further damage to the exterior. All is still well..

samuelkwest
09-27-2012, 05:38 PM
...So what I did was to cover each with a "scotch tape"
to prevent further damage to the exterior. All is still well..

That is a good idea!

Thanks.

Shawnnepc
09-27-2012, 05:44 PM
The screen replacement is very easy as long as you follow the steps (and mark your screws and their placement!)

You should try removing the screen and see if you can dislodge the bug by rotating the screen.

Be sure to CAREFULL remove the LVDS cable and DO NOT TOUCH THE PART OF THE SCREEN THAT SAY'S DO NOT TOUCH!

I've never ever heard of a bug getting behind the screen.

PILGRIM
09-27-2012, 05:50 PM
The screen replacement is very easy as long as you follow the steps (and mark your screws and their placement!)

You should try removing the screen and see if you can dislodge the bug by rotating the screen.

Be sure to CAREFULL remove the LVDS cable and DO NOT TOUCH THE PART OF THE SCREEN THAT SAY'S DO NOT TOUCH!

Now, this is what helping is all about.. Giving real solutions.

Shawnnepc
09-27-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't have any G73 in the store nor do I have easy access.

I'll look though our documents to see if we made any guides on repair and removal of the screens.

Also, please note that you will be responsible for any and all damage that may occur during your self repair process.

Any assistance that I provide is provided by ME and should not be confused with offical support from ASUS or Net Effects (my employer)

PILGRIM
09-27-2012, 06:33 PM
...Also, please note that you will be responsible for any and all damage that may occur during your self repair process.

Any assistance that I provide is provided by ME and should not be confused with offical support from ASUS or Net Effects (my employer)

Didn't we already know that forum members (like you) actually do the real support to fellow members?..

I know its a jab to the powers-that-be, but wishing it were a KO punch.. Time and again, let me reiterate,
what we really need here is a Liaison Officer- one who is solely devoted to the needs of these Forums.

samuelkwest
09-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Also, please note that you will be responsible for any and all damage that may occur during your self repair process.

I take these statements as givens. Any time I open up a device that (probably somewhere) says, "no user serviceable parts inside", or something like that, I know I'm on my own :)

Thanks for the info.

samuelkwest
09-27-2012, 08:08 PM
I've never ever heard of a bug getting behind the screen.

I've gotta get you guys a picture of this... wish I could just do a screen capture (:D)

cl-scott
09-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Not necessarily? So you're saying that I didn't go, "...out of my way to make sure that miscommunication didn't happen by placing two separate sentences/paragraphs with two different wordings.

Look, just drop that line of commentary. My original tech support request should have been read carefully, and responded to appropriately by the Tech Support person. Period. So just let it go.

w.r.t. the rest of this, I am not pressing for Warranty Coverage. I have made that clear:

And pointing out that I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't:

Is unhelpful. In fact, you have made two posts in my thread that have offered no real help or guidance at all. Unlike the other, non-Asus-Customer-Loyalty posters. So why don't you just stay out of it?

Otherwise, thanks for the other postings that have provided some guidance. I'll figure out what to do going forward.

Also, if I were to replace the display, is there one, and only one, replacement part? Or could I use this as an opportunity to 'upgrade' the display? (I'm not even sure if that question makes sense)...

Rather quickly, until you've actually held a customer service job where you might deal with the same set of questions hundreds of times a day... Let's just say you would be surprised, horrified, and probably lose faith in your fellow man several times a day.

One of the things I dislike about being an official company rep, is the politics. There are just some things I can't recommend you do as an official company rep, that I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to try if I were just joe q. public on the street. Even if you might take it completely in the context I meant it, there would undoubtedly be someone else out there who would not, and then try and use it as justification for getting their screwup fixed on Asus' dime.

Right now, you have what is essentially a minor annoyance. If you go forward you may well "upgrade" that to a full on broken computer. I would say that warrants taking a few minutes to think about whether or not it's worth the risk. Also, there are dozens to hundreds of people who may see this post via Google, but never post. So, even if you're fully prepared to take the risk, someone else in the same situation may not. These are forums accessible by the world, and pretty much nothing you ever put on the Internet is ever truly gone.

samuelkwest
09-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Uh huh. So why don't you just stay out of it?

samuelkwest
09-28-2012, 02:41 AM
New development. I tapped the screen and bounced the laptop (just a little) and the bug fell nearly to the bottom of the display. At least, most of him did. For some reason, he left a little portion of himself up where he was (just above the middle, center screen). The part that fell is now about 1/4" from the bottom of the display.

This is probably acceptable. My earlier questions about 'upgrading' my display were motivated primarily by the fact that I couldn't remember if my display was a 1600x900 or 1920x1080. It's 1080p (I know, how could I not remember that?). So, I think I'll probably live with his little carcass at the bottom of my display, and whatever tiny part of him he left behind higher up.

Thanks.

- s.west

Shawnnepc
09-28-2012, 05:01 AM
New development. I tapped the screen and bounced the laptop (just a little) and the bug fell nearly to the bottom of the display. At least, most of him did. For some reason, he left a little portion of himself up where he was (just above the middle, center screen). The part that fell is now about 1/4" from the bottom of the display.

This is probably acceptable. My earlier questions about 'upgrading' my display were motivated primarily by the fact that I couldn't remember if my display was a 1600x900 or 1920x1080. It's 1080p (I know, how could I not remember that?). So, I think I'll probably live with his little carcass at the bottom of my display, and whatever tiny part of him he left behind higher up.

Thanks.

- s.west

Glad to see that things have improved for you.

I would be very careful with where you take your laptop in the future. The barrier between the LCD and the display screen are more or less fused at the factory to prevent dust,dirt or moisture from damaging the screen.

Since our little visitor somehow managed to wiggle his way into your screen I have a feeling that the seal was compromised somehow.

Avoid areas with high humidity or dust if possible as your laptop may be more susceptible to these elements.

Also, Scott might come across rough sometimes but he's a huge help. There's rules in place that he can't control that prohibit what he can and cannot say.

I know it might seem that ASUS is run by robots sometimes but they're controlled by one of the strictest censorship policies that I've ever dealt with.

Regardless, welcome to the ROG community we hope to see you around :)

samuelkwest
09-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Glad to see that things have improved for you.

I would be very careful with where you take your laptop in the future. The barrier between the LCD and the display screen are more or less fused at the factory to prevent dust,dirt or moisture from damaging the screen.

Since our little visitor somehow managed to wiggle his way into your screen I have a feeling that the seal was compromised somehow.

Avoid areas with high humidity or dust if possible as your laptop may be more susceptible to these elements.

Also, Scott might come across rough sometimes but he's a huge help. There's rules in place that he can't control that prohibit what he can and cannot say.

I know it might seem that ASUS is run by robots sometimes but they're controlled by one of the strictest censorship policies that I've ever dealt with.

Regardless, welcome to the ROG community we hope to see you around :)

Thanks.

My laptop is strictly an inside laptop. It hasn't been out of the house for, at least, 6 months. And when it was out last, it was at the hospital where my wife was recovering... I take <really> good care of it. This bug was just some crazy bad luck if you ask me.

- s.west