PDA

View Full Version : Asus G55vw - Problem with loud noice from fan

Picklejam
09-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi.
I purchased an Asus G55vw in june earlier this year.
About a month later I began to hear a loud screeching sound caused by (what I assume is) the fan when the computer got to a temperature over 55C. The sound got worse over time and soon I found myself getting the noice (a loud screeching sound) even at lower temperatures. I sent my computer in for repairs, got the problem confirmed and the fan replaced, and got it back about a month ago.
Again everything worked fine and quiet (well - as quiet as laptops get) until last week the noise returned again. I am not sure if its actually the fan itself making the sound or just causing it as you can feel vibrations on the computer and pressing down on the front of the computer dampens the sound or actually makes it go away completely until you release.

My question now is: Is anyone else experiencing this problem or am I just unlucky? If you do or did have this problem - what did you end up doing to resolve it.

I have "solved" for the time being by using a coolpad from a previous laptop (lowering the temp enough for the fan not to wind up) but that is not really a permanent sollution. I still have warranty and an extra insurance so I can send it in for repairs again. But every time I do that I am without a computer for 3 weeks which is quite a hassle. (I would also rather just have it fixed/resolved once and for all as I am happy with the computer if it werent for the racket)

Picklejam
09-26-2012, 05:41 PM
It also helps if i push down on the back (behind the screen when open) - makes the noice stop but.. makes the computer kind of hard to use :D

john_from_ohio
09-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi.
I purchased an Asus G55vw in june earlier this year.
About a month later I began to hear a loud screeching sound caused by (what I assume is) the fan when the computer got to a temperature over 55C. The sound got worse over time and soon I found myself getting the noice (a loud screeching sound) even at lower temperatures. I sent my computer in for repairs, got the problem confirmed and the fan replaced, and got it back about a month ago.
Again everything worked fine and quiet (well - as quiet as laptops get) until last week the noise returned again. I am not sure if its actually the fan itself making the sound or just causing it as you can feel vibrations on the computer and pressing down on the front of the computer dampens the sound or actually makes it go away completely until you release.

My question now is: Is anyone else experiencing this problem or am I just unlucky? If you do or did have this problem - what did you end up doing to resolve it.

I have "solved" for the time being by using a coolpad from a previous laptop (lowering the temp enough for the fan not to wind up) but that is not really a permanent sollution. I still have warranty and an extra insurance so I can send it in for repairs again. But every time I do that I am without a computer for 3 weeks which is quite a hassle. (I would also rather just have it fixed/resolved once and for all as I am happy with the computer if it werent for the racket)

This does not sound very good ... install something like hwinfo64 and use the sensors to check the fan(s) rpm.

That way you can see how fast the fans is spinning ( or not ) at given temperatures.

I think the G55 has 2 fans like the G75's do ... but could be wrong. Either way hwinfo64 will show fan rpm speed.

Picklejam
09-26-2012, 06:47 PM
I tried instlling HWinfo but I cant seem to find fanspeeds anywhere. I can see the temperature of CPU/GPU but not any fans. I had a similar problem when I tried to monitor temp/fans before handing it in for repairs the first time. EC-sensors is enabled but it doesnt seem to make a difference (Tried both beta and stable release). I dont know if Im doing something wrong though...

Realised you answered that already - I thought it was 2 fans as well. (But the guy in the store when handing it in for repairs said I only had 1 - but Im pretty sure it should be 2)

// Edit for dyslexia

dstrakele
09-26-2012, 06:51 PM
It sounds like there may be some sort of fan clearance issue where thermal expansion is causing the fan to contact the computer housing or some other component to cause the vibration. This is why pressing on the laptop reduces or eliminates the noise and why replacing the fan did not resolve the issue.

I tried to help another G55 user with fan speeds determined by HWINFO64. Unfortunately, from the user's screenshot, the EC sensor with CPU and GPU fan speeds was missing from the Sensors dialog, even though he enabled it. It's worthwhile trying it, but there is a possibility HWINFO64 won't deliver the goods on G55 laptops.

Picklejam
09-26-2012, 07:05 PM
It sounds like there may be some sort of fan clearance issue where thermal expansion is causing the fan to contact the computer housing or some other component to cause the vibration. This is why pressing on the laptop reduces or eliminates the noise and why replacing the fan did not resolve the issue.

I tried to help another G55 user with fan speeds determined by HWINFO64. Unfortunately, from the user's screenshot, the EC sensor with CPU and GPU fan speeds was missing from the Sensors dialog, even though he enabled it. It's worthwhile trying it, but there is a possibility HWINFO64 won't deliver the goods on G55 laptops.

I have begun to suspect something similar myself (but I cant claim to have identified it as "fan cleareance/thermal expansion" - rather it was something along the lines "I wonder if somethings loose") - that its making something else vibrate (you can sometimes even feel it in the chassi) rather than make the sound itself.

Yeah. Have been searching around for a little bit and it seems that it wont show up on hwinfo64 just like the fanspeed-something.

Clintlgm
09-26-2012, 07:10 PM
This sounds to me like a fan that is not properly installed causing the fan housing to be slightly tweaked it will work for awhile eventually the tweak will put the fan motor bearing in a bind causing the noise, putting pressure on the case could relieve this pressure on the tweaked fan frame?. Improper installation could be that what ever the fan mounts too is not completely flat surface applying pressure to one corner of the fan frame??? Just a thought I've had this problem with case fans in WS before. Sound like a definite mechanical problem with the fan mounting somehow, maybe a defective part of the case that heating up is making the mounting area move around??

Nyorker
09-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Where can I get hwinfo64 and what are normal temps for a g75?

Clintlgm
09-27-2012, 03:31 AM
here's your link http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html

Picklejam
09-27-2012, 07:28 PM
I want to thank all of you who tried to help me with this. Sadly it seems there is not much else for me to do than to hand in the computer for another round of service. So.. Does anyone have any tips on how I can voice this when handing it in to actually get it fixed once and for all rather than to get the fan replaced again (and having the same cycle repeat itself again). Should I try to get the computer replaced or is there some secret words that means "give me a complete overhaul of this".
I realise that this is asking much as you cant actually hear the sound or look at the computer yourselves but any help is appreciated.

srmojuze
03-13-2013, 05:38 AM
Hi there, a few days ago I got what seemed like a very slight buzzing in the GPU fan, almost as though there was some slight obstruction. Last night I "slapped" the back part a little bit, then opened the bottom panel (the small user-accessible one). Temps are definitely about 5degC better, using it with that bottom panel off.

There was one tiny plastic piece that fell out, no idea where it is from or if it was causing some buzzing in the GPU fan - as in, not that it was "stuck" in the fan but perhaps causing some overall slight "rattling". I certainly believe I didn't void any warranties because it's not like I "slapped" the back of the laptop super hard, I consider it normal "wear-and-tear". So far OK, like I said, no idea where that tiny plastic piece is from.

The plastic piece not withstanding, I think some of it may have to be with expansion/contraction of the frame around the fan or the fan itself, since here during summer outside temps can fluctuate between as high as 40degC and as low as 15degC (obviously I use AC so it's not so harsh during actual use of the laptop, but still...).

As for your case, sorry to hear that.

Sounds like your fan, fan housing, or frame around the fan is not quite right.

The best I can say is that check with your local, state and federal laws. There is usually a "No Lemon" clause somewhere in there for statutory warranties. That is, after 1 or 2 times where the same issue occurs, you may be able to demand a complete replacement. Check also with the mods on this forum, I note from other threads that they may be able to assist as well.

Tomislav
03-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Srmojuze that doesn't sound logical to me (the expansion of frame due to temperatures). What I mean plastic should get softer but no parts should break as easy as that. Don't take me for granted, I'm no physicist...Just sounds a bit odd..good luck with that.