PDA

View Full Version : I'm the only one left annoyed with flicker & black lines across the screen?

joyfulPo
09-27-2012, 01:06 AM
I've read many posts now claiming this is a driver issue, now where the hell is that driver that fixes the problem cus I have the newest NVIDIA driver from their site.

I still get flicker, more or so under 80% light.
But the black lines across the entire screen is more annoying, seen most in black\grey\dark colors.

So what do I do? Tolate to replace the laptop.

And some claim changing 60 hz to 67 hz fixes issues with flickering but not all, tho this would probably hurt my hardware as it's limit is at 60 hz? Hm.

:mad:

finalhour
09-27-2012, 03:03 AM
I've read many posts now claiming this is a driver issue, now where the hell is that driver that fixes the problem cus I have the newest NVIDIA driver from their site.

But the black lines across the entire screen is more annoying, seen most in black\grey\dark colors.

And some claim changing 60 hz to 67 hz fixes issues with flickering but not all, tho this would probably hurt my hardware as it's limit is at 60 hz? Hm.

DId you do a search!? There is a thread about this. Even if it's too late to exchange the laptop you can still RMA if it's on warranty. If it's not...that's not really our problem, and posting about it is kinda pointless in that case

joyfulPo
09-27-2012, 07:19 AM
DId you do a search!? There is a thread about this. Even if it's too late to exchange the laptop you can still RMA if it's on warranty. If it's not...that's not really our problem, and posting about it is kinda pointless in that case

Those thread are dead ends.

Are you SERIOUS? RMA?

1. You have more people saying it's driver issue.
2. You have more people saying it's screen issue manufacture problem.
3. You have more people saying they have different screens from different manufactures with the same issue.
4. You have people saying DON'T SEND IT TO RMA because it won't fix anything as it's a driver issue.
5. You have people saying send it to RMA.

Now tell me, who the hell am I suppose to listen to?
There is to much nonsense and no facts on the table here.

I think it's about a ASUS resprentitive or NVIDIA came forward! :mad:

c_man
09-27-2012, 10:43 AM
The flickr was gone with the 67 trick on mine.

The lines are there to last.

joyfulPo
09-27-2012, 11:04 AM
The flickr was gone with the 67 trick on mine.

The lines are there to last.

It's the lines that are the worst issue for me. I have gone thru 4 x G75VW, all with the same issue.
I'm tired and I think this is a more widespread problem and somebody from ASUS or NVIDIA should speak up,
tell us exactly what the hell this is we are paying for. Give us something!

Secondly, about the 67 trick of yours c_man, could this someway hurt the hardware as there is no setting to put the screen on higher then 60? And how do you do the 67 trick? But most of all, can it do any harm in the long run if the screen isn't built for 67 and will I get any negative effects while playing WoW? Thanks for taking your time c_man!

c_man
09-27-2012, 01:14 PM
It's fine.

- Screen might flickr - not everyone has it, but if you do, there is a fix. Under Nvidia control panel/Display/Change resolution you must choose Customize/Create custom resolution and set refresh rate to 67Hz. Test it, keep it, apply it. If this does not help, make sure you have the latest driver and try again. If the problem is still there, you should RMA.

From here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20375-Reasons-to-BUY-G75-...-or-not&country=&status=

joyfulPo
09-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Why can't an offical respond on this from either ASUS or NVIDIA as this IS problem with lines is found on 4 out of 4 ASUS G75V that I've returned\replaced with complete new once, no RMA or fix, just 4 complete different orders.

They had all these annoying black lines and I'm starting to believe I have to call the consumer Agency to investigate ASUS.

No way in hell I'm going to RMA a new laptop when I bought 4 of them and they had all the same problem. Not before I know for a fact what is the problem (coming from an offical ASUS representetive)!

ZeroBarrier
09-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Those thread are dead ends.

Are you SERIOUS? RMA?

1. You have more people saying it's driver issue.
2. You have more people saying it's screen issue manufacture problem.
3. You have more people saying they have different screens from different manufactures with the same issue.
4. You have people saying DON'T SEND IT TO RMA because it won't fix anything as it's a driver issue.
5. You have people saying send it to RMA.

Now tell me, who the hell am I suppose to listen to?
There is to much nonsense and no facts on the table here.

I think it's about a ASUS resprentitive or NVIDIA came forward! :mad:

If you would have really taken the time to read the other threads, then you would know that it's both a hardware and a software problem. It seems the LCD panel in the G75 doesn't play well with certain dark gradients, but drivers can make them seem less apparent and possibly make them dissapear entirely.

A simple solution for the time being is to connect the laptop to an external monitor/TV. I use this laptop as a desktop replacement and rarely if ever move it around. I didn't buy a 17.3" beast of a laptop for it's portability. Is it mobile when I need it to be? Yes. Am I going to lug it everywhere I go? Absolutely not.

You could have taken the last couple of days to do this research instead of foaming at the mouth with nerd rage and coming here and demanding that both ASUS & nVidia come and hold you hand while explaining it to you.

dstrakele
09-29-2012, 11:15 PM
NVIDIA has Official Feedback Threads for all of their driver releases on the NVIDIA Forum. I recommend posting this issue there on the 306.23 WHQL thread and providing the information they need to troubleshoot this issue. They respond to folks that are serious about trying to find a resolution to video problems.

Alternatively, send a PM to cl-scott and MarshallR@ASUS and ask them directly for comment.

joyfulPo
09-30-2012, 02:41 PM
NVIDIA has Official Feedback Threads for all of their driver releases on the NVIDIA Forum. I recommend posting this issue there on the 306.23 WHQL thread and providing the information they need to troubleshoot this issue. They respond to folks that are serious about trying to find a resolution to video problems.

Alternatively, send a PM to cl-scott and MarshallR@ASUS and ask them directly for comment.
NVIDIA forums have been down for months. Or do they have a secret forum that I don't know about because I google NVIDIA forum and I go thru the NVIDIA.com and it's no forums up. :(

Bundy_Drop_Bear
10-01-2012, 02:53 AM
try rereading dstrakele's post again, as he clearly stated that Nvidia has official driver relese threads on these forums, that they post themselves. so go find the latest driver thread and post a reply they canthen respond,till then they don't have to do jake all in reply to your post.
I too had the screen flicker problem, but you won't find a post from me*****ing about how they Asus\Nvidia haven't responded, as i got responses from marshell@ asus. and have since sent my g75in for RMA and my G75 has been fixed, as i new i had a hardware problem after installing fresh updated drivers, with the problem still existing.
My G75 is fixed and has no flickering at all anymore, the only time it might flicker is when the screen dimes, after no being used after a period of time.

joyfulPo
10-01-2012, 11:33 AM
try rereading dstrakele's post again, as he clearly stated that Nvidia has official driver relese threads on these forums, that they post themselves. so go find the latest driver thread and post a reply they canthen respond,till then they don't have to do jake all in reply to your post.
I too had the screen flicker problem, but you won't find a post from me*****ing about how they Asus\Nvidia haven't responded, as i got responses from marshell@ asus. and have since sent my g75in for RMA and my G75 has been fixed, as i new i had a hardware problem after installing fresh updated drivers, with the problem still existing.
My G75 is fixed and has no flickering at all anymore, the only time it might flicker is when the screen dimes, after no being used after a period of time.
1. I have bought four (4) new ASUS G75VW in ONE week that all had this issue. Should I had RMA them all?
2. I've googled NVIDIA forums, I've visisted NVIDIA forums - they are down and have been for months.
3. Now insted of trying to attack me? Perhaps as you are really clever, share the url to these NVIDIA driver forum you talk about insted?

Thanks :) by the way, you are sharing your experience with ONE laptop you had! I had 4 x G75V in ONE week with ALL the same problem that is black lines across the screen you can clearly see all the time in games such as EVE.

--
Posted July 12, 2012

NVIDIA suspended operations of the NVIDIA Forums (forums.nvidia.com) last week.

Posted September 12, 2012

Thanks for your patience as we work to restore the NVIDIA Forums with the highest security possible. The process has taken longer than initially anticipated.
--

Now please, insted of trying to 'attack' me, just tell me where I can find these forums for the newest NVIDIA driver? :)

dstrakele
10-01-2012, 11:50 AM
You'll have to wait until NVIDIA resolves their website security issues. In the meantime, I recommend you PM MarshallR@ASUS and cl-scott on this forum.

joyfulPo
10-01-2012, 12:22 PM
You'll have to wait until NVIDIA resolves their website security issues. In the meantime, I recommend you PM MarshallR@ASUS and cl-scott on this forum.

Okey.

Just want to say that following the advice about turning the screen from 60Hz to 67Hz have caused YouTube videos to lag.
When I turn it down to 60Hz, it's okey again.

But sometimes I flip the windows between YouTube and WoW, the YouTube video will lag.
This did not happen before I first changed it to 67Hz for the first time, so now even at 60Hz I get sometimes lag in YouTube videos.

But I was promised it wasn't any danger in doing this change :eek:

Bundy_Drop_Bear
10-01-2012, 01:05 PM
You completly miss read what i said "ON THESE FORUMS NVIDIA HAVE OFFICAL THREADS THAT THEY POST WITH ALL INFO ON THE LATSEST DRIVERS", go find that post (most likely will have "306.23" in the title) on these ROG FORUMS and post your problems, I never said that Nvidia forums were working. try reading posts before replying.

AGAIN I am talking about these forums the ones you are on right now reading this post, NVIDIA have Threads were they answer Questions, Possabley a stand in forums for ASUS users. other wise ask one of the mods on here and they may be able to point you in the right direction.
PS: I wasn't attacking you, I was merley pointing out that the other ROG member said that NVIDIA post on here and may reply if you PM them.

joyfulPo
10-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Well I wrote to MarshallR@ASUS late on sunday and he hasn't had time to reply me yet but I still fear it's a dead end for me.
Quite annoying to see thise black lines across the screen on my shiney expensive new G75V (all of the 4 shiny new G75V), eh.

I still have time to deliver the G75VW back and get my money back.

I for sure won't be buying a new ASUS product if I do so, as

1. I had to buy\pay for 4 NEW ASUS G75VW and get to experience 3 out of 4 with dead pixels on the LCD display.
2. 4 out of 4 NEW ASUS G75VW with black lines across the screen.
3. I just get the impression that ASUS just builds bad products with little as to no quality check.

I don't know what to say, I'm just on the edge now.

I was so happy at first with new laptop and this one didn't have dead pixels but as I try games and browse some, just games with black\grey\dark and now even bright colors, you see black lines across the screen. Just awful!

Just pissed and sad now. No good answer to this!

c_man
10-02-2012, 04:01 PM
N76 is better and has far less problems. But less GPU power and runs hotter. So yes, Asus made things impossible for some of us. But still, G75 is one good laptop for the power it has. I wonder how many laptop I would be able to use as laptops with full power. I found none so far.

cl-scott
10-02-2012, 05:47 PM
I did a little asking on this, and it's not a known issue internally, so if you are having this issue it'd be great if you could PM or email your serial number(s) and some screenshots to me. I'll pass those along internally and they can use the SN to trace things back to a specific batch of units if necessary. Anything else that might help reproduce the issue quickly and reliably is also appreciated.

While our glorious leader MarshallR can also do this sort of thing, my job is to take over some of the drudgery so he is free to do other things.

c_man
10-02-2012, 06:55 PM
If you are talking to me (well, even if not :D), I'll do that when I get home.

I suggest photos, not screen shots. I'll see what I can do.

How would this help? What could be wrong?

cl-scott
10-02-2012, 07:15 PM
If you are talking to me (well, even if not :D), I'll do that when I get home.

I suggest photos, not screen shots. I'll see what I can do.

How would this help? What could be wrong?

Sorry, I meant you in the generic sense of anyone having the issue. So, just change that to "if anyone is having this problem" above. Same with the screenshots. I meant that in the more generic sense, photos of the screen.

Let's just put it this way... Anyone who is having this issue, send me the serial number of your unit and anything you have that helps demonstrate the issue. Photos, videos, tattoos on the foreheads of children, interpretive dances, whatever. If it'll help demonstrate the issue, I want it.

I have a couple of ideas what could be wrong, but at the same time I'm in no way qualified or authorized on this, so I'll just say nothing. Mostly because I'm probably way off the mark, and I don't want to get anyone thinking that because I work for Asus my WAG is an official response. Even if I clearly said it's little more than a WAG, it wouldn't stop those who never let pesky things like reality get in the way of a good conspiracy theory. So just send me any evidence you have to show the issue, I'll kick it up the corporate food chain, and if something comes back down I'll let you all know.

c_man
10-02-2012, 07:22 PM
That's nice.

Also, I'm in Europe :(

In any situation, even if I do a bit of photo on the side and those lines are killing me, I still love the G75.

finalhour
10-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Sorry, I meant you in the generic sense of anyone having the issue. So, just change that to "if anyone is having this problem" above. Same with the screenshots. I meant that in the more generic sense, photos of the screen.

Let's just put it this way... Anyone who is having this issue, send me the serial number of your unit and anything you have that helps demonstrate the issue. Photos, videos, tattoos on the foreheads of children, interpretive dances, whatever. If it'll help demonstrate the issue, I want it.

I have a couple of ideas what could be wrong, but at the same time I'm in no way qualified or authorized on this, so I'll just say nothing. Mostly because I'm probably way off the mark, and I don't want to get anyone thinking that because I work for Asus my WAG is an official response. Even if I clearly said it's little more than a WAG, it wouldn't stop those who never let pesky things like reality get in the way of a good conspiracy theory. So just send me any evidence you have to show the issue, I'll kick it up the corporate food chain, and if something comes back down I'll let you all know.

Thanks for the response! I'm actually noticing it now too....will see if I can get some photos to ya soon

AmunRa90
10-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Well I just turn the brightness upp. I notice this problem in power saving mode. But I just guessed that it's to save power . The screen should be a major power drainer :p

Didn't really think that it was a issue

joyfulPo
10-04-2012, 12:57 PM
So I guess the answer is buy a different brand next time and deliver the one I have back?

Cus the lines part, I messaged Marshall, no reply.
I don't think these lines I see in beautiful games such as Skyrim that is bit dark sometimes, are making the game look better.

Quite opposite, and if you look closely these lines are across the entire screen.
There is no offical statement on this!

So to assume customers should just deliver back 4 different ASUS G75VW to RMA to get it fixed? What the hell.

Bit demanding to a paying customer that just got 4 new products that is smacked with lines across the screens in grey\dark\bright areas. :mad::mad::mad:

Shawnnepc
10-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Uninstall your current driver and try the below driver:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/47781

Let me know if the issue is still present.

joyfulPo
10-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Uninstall your current driver and try the below driver:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/47781

Let me know if the issue is still present.

But I have the 306.23 drivers that is the complete version, why go for beta drivers? :eek:
But I have tried drivers such as those you find on ASUS and they are before 300, so.. They did not work..

cl-scott
10-04-2012, 04:33 PM
So I guess the answer is buy a different brand next time and deliver the one I have back?

Cus the lines part, I messaged Marshall, no reply.
I don't think these lines I see in beautiful games such as Skyrim that is bit dark sometimes, are making the game look better.

Quite opposite, and if you look closely these lines are across the entire screen.
There is no offical statement on this!

So to assume customers should just deliver back 4 different ASUS G75VW to RMA to get it fixed? What the hell.

Bit demanding to a paying customer that just got 4 new products that is smacked with lines across the screens in grey\dark\bright areas. :mad::mad::mad:

Our glorious leader (a tongue in cheek comment BTW) MarshallR comes by here in his spare time to try and help where he can, but he has other duties that he's paid to do. The same goes for Raja, his faithful sidekick. That's why I am here. I am the one who is literally paid to hang out with you guys and take care of these sorts of things, precisely so that our glorious leader and faithful sidekick can spend less time on side projects and more time on their actual jobs. So it follows that is why I solicited serial numbers and any kind of documenting evidence people have be sent to me. I will pass it along internally, and should anything come back my way I'll post it.

So if you're serious about seeking some kind of a resolution to this issue, send me some serial numbers, photos, and whatever else you have that helps demonstrate the issue. Email or PM, your choice. You might also give Shawnnepc's suggestion a try. I always wonder about people who complain about some issue, and then immediately shoot down every suggestion offered to resolve it. It reminds me of the classic Garbage song Only Happy When it Rains, and the inherent wisdom that can be found in some of the lyrics about some people.

Shawnnepc
10-04-2012, 05:10 PM
But I have the 306.23 drivers that is the complete version, why go for beta drivers? :eek:
But I have tried drivers such as those you find on ASUS and they are before 300, so.. They did not work..

It worked on one of Clevo units.

I sent this thread to my NVIDIA rep to see if they'll let him post here

joyfulPo
10-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Scott, you are right.
I am very sorry, I've been unfair. You guys are great, forgive me.

Now I took your advice Shawnnepc, I removed the newest NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA.com
Had a clean install after reboot with the beta drivers 306.02

Hm, I think the 306.02 beta drivers actually made it harder for me to see the black lines. :eek:
So I guess I should use the beta drivers? :eek: But I'm curious Shawnnepc, why did you suggest this specific driver?

Thank you, it has become a little better, I think.
They are still viewable some places but honestly, it's harder to see now.
It was worse with the newest drivers for sure, don't know why.

But now I am not sure how this 306.02 beta drivers is for gaming World of Warcraft, I had bit trouble with quickly FPS drop with the new Pandaria content, trying to figure out what to set my settings on but that is bit off topic, I guess.

:)

Shawnnepc
10-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Scott, you are right.
I am very sorry, I've been unfair. You guys are great, forgive me.

Now I took your advice Shawnnepc, I removed the newest NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA.com
Had a clean install after reboot with the beta drivers 306.02

Hm, I think the 306.02 beta drivers actually made it harder for me to see the black lines. :eek:
So I guess I should use the beta drivers? :eek: But I'm curious Shawnnepc, why did you suggest this specific driver?

Thank you, it has become a little better, I think.
They are still viewable some places but honestly, it's harder to see now.
It was worse with the newest drivers for sure, don't know why.

But now I am not sure how this 306.02 beta drivers is for gaming World of Warcraft, I had bit trouble with quickly FPS drop with the new Pandaria content, trying to figure out what to set my settings on but that is bit off topic, I guess.

:)

NVIDIA is aware of the root cause.

It has to do with the way the driver communicates the screen refresh rate with the panel. Only some screen models have this issue and we're not sure why.

Some of the Clevo's we resell have Chi-mei screens these are also the most common screens found in the G55/G75. I was able to resolve or lessen the issue by using that driver.

joyfulPo
10-04-2012, 05:38 PM
NVIDIA is aware of the root cause.

It has to do with the way the driver communicates the screen refresh rate with the panel. Only some screen models have this issue and we're not sure why.

Some of the Clevo's we resell have Chi-mei screens these are also the most common screens found in the G55/G75. I was able to resolve or lessen the issue by using that driver.
Oh :eek:

Hm, I do hope NVIDIA will keep this in mind with future drivers or I'll be stuck at this beta driver, I guess? :p
But this is good information, thanks Shawnnepc!

c_man
10-04-2012, 07:16 PM
All the info will be given tomorrow I hope. I'm on this asap. Same with testing that driver. I've tried a new G75 today, same refresh problem (67Mhz helped, maybe it's related), same lines.

Clintlgm
10-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Yes very upsetting, Looks like you have been very unlucky, but most of us do not have that issue.

c_man
10-04-2012, 07:23 PM
From what I've seen so far, most people do have it, they just got used to it, like me I guess.

Shawnnepc
10-04-2012, 08:13 PM
From what I've seen so far, most people do have it, they just got used to it, like me I guess.

We resell a number of these and I haven't seen the issue on the ASUS units.

We don't just sell the units outright, all of our G series are custom setup for the customer, so I am benching/testing these units for at least 48 hours

I have a Clevo that has the same issue, so I know what you're talking about

Clintlgm
10-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Well I've look and looked I can't see them lines, I've gone through the full color spectrum as a background, but then I'm old and blind LOL

joyfulPo
10-05-2012, 06:26 PM
My screen is clearly flickering now at 100% light.
If I change to 67Hz, when I flip Windows from WoW to YouTube or whatever, it lags.

With 67Hz my YouTube video more then often lags, just lags.

What now? The stripes also came back with this beta driver, weird. Just after a reboot or something - I always reckonize them in the Windows loading logo.

dstrakele
10-05-2012, 06:47 PM
You gave it your best shot... I'd say you need to return the laptop for a complete refund and re-evaluate your laptop purchase decision.

joyfulPo
10-05-2012, 07:25 PM
You gave it your best shot... I'd say you need to return the laptop for a complete refund and re-evaluate your laptop purchase decision.
It's tolate to refund.

4 out of 4, it should not be possible. And the time and money I had put into just get 1 working laptop!

That's 7055,79 USD one week to just get 1 working ASUS G75V as the process of getting money back is 10 days minimum and I had to get the laptop that week before release of Mists of Pandaria, damn.

And now, return this? Just bloody hell the things you must go thru to get a working product these days, where is the customers reward for all this bloody stress?

Guess I'm a sucker for trying to stay loyal to ASUS.
I had one decent laptop on first buy from years back and I see this won't happen again, stupid of me.

dstrakele
10-05-2012, 07:40 PM
I'd still consider contacting your retailer. I've read where the retailer bent the rules for the customer to make sure they were satisfied. Perhaps they'd at least let you exchange it for another laptop brand.

joyfulPo
10-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I'd still consider contacting your retailer. I've read where the retailer bent the rules for the customer to make sure they were satisfied. Perhaps they'd at least let you exchange it for another laptop brand.

Do you think they will do that after I've returned already 3 x G75V with dead pixels that they now sell on their website as a DEMO product for less money without mentioning the dead pixels?

Now I have uninstalled all NVIDIA drivers, shouldn't the black lines across gray areas and other dark places vanish if it was a driver issue thing?

It's still present tho.

dstrakele
10-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Do you think they will do that after I've returned already 3 x G75V...

You won't know unless you ask. Be polite, but firm.

In the worst case, the retailer will do nothing, then you'll have to decide if you'll 1) live with it and hope for a future fix, 2) sell the laptop for funds to purchase a different one, 3) RMA the laptop for repair, or 4) have a local computer repair shop replace the display. None of which are very exciting options, but at least you can be grateful for your current position in life - being able to afford such an expensive toy, while other folks may be wondering where they will get their family's next meal...see http://www.cnbc.com/id/49162890/Spain_Recoils_as_Its_Hungry_Forage_Trash_Bins_for_ a_Next_Meal.

c_man
10-05-2012, 08:34 PM
My screen is clearly flickering now at 100% light.
If I change to 67Hz, when I flip Windows from WoW to YouTube or whatever, it lags.

With 67Hz my YouTube video more then often lags, just lags.

What now? The stripes also came back with this beta driver, weird. Just after a reboot or something - I always reckonize them in the Windows loading logo.

That's strange. Mine works well with 67. It's been like 2 months now or more maybe.

Shawnnepc
10-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Do you think they will do that after I've returned already 3 x G75V with dead pixels that they now sell on their website as a DEMO product for less money without mentioning the dead pixels?

Now I have uninstalled all NVIDIA drivers, shouldn't the black lines across gray areas and other dark places vanish if it was a driver issue thing?

It's still present tho.

You said you were outside the US, correct?

I want to see if I can have something arranged

finalhour
10-05-2012, 09:04 PM
All the info will be given tomorrow I hope. I'm on this asap. Same with testing that driver. I've tried a new G75 today, same refresh problem (67Mhz helped, maybe it's related), same lines.

so what's the verdict?

joyfulPo
10-06-2012, 01:14 AM
You said you were outside the US, correct?

I want to see if I can have something arranged
Yes, I live in Scandinavia. :)
Hm, you can have something arranged? :confused: What do you mean by that?

joyfulPo
10-07-2012, 08:11 AM
If you guys take a look at http://www.diablofans.com/news/1371-public-test-realm-patch-105-notes-update-ptr-maintenance-for-105-update-new-stash-tab-graphics/
for example.

You will see black thin lines across the redish background yeah? All over.

Clintlgm
10-07-2012, 02:39 PM
not on my screen JoyfulP

joyfulPo
10-07-2012, 03:19 PM
not on my screen JoyfulP
Well that is what I have to live with and see everyday, cheers.

Cus it's been on every 4 ASUS G75VW I had (have) .... and it's tolate to do any returns ..
So, yeah - Don't like sending in new products to RMA and did test with some drivers, betas, all.
First I thought some of them did any fix but didn't afterall.

This messes me up!

ZeroBarrier
10-07-2012, 09:04 PM

I have this issue as well, but I didn't get used to it. I just have the notebook sitting on my desk and have it plugged into a 24" 1080p LED HDTV, an external keyboard & Razer Naga Epic more than 95% of the time, so I rarely if ever see the lines unless I switch back to using the internal monitor for any reason.

@cl-scott, I'll pm you pics and serial number soon, hopefully Monday. I've been swamped with work lately and just haven't had the chance to take a good pic of the screen to capture the lines properly.

joyfulPo
10-07-2012, 11:35 PM
These are close up on the lines with a phone camera:

1 | This is my screen on DiabloFans.com
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9498/img20121008011625.jpg

2 | This is my screen where I zoom into a dark place on a WOW screenshot
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/5176/img20121008012010.jpg

So what do you say to this? :(

finalhour
10-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Do you guys get lines from this? Because I don't...

http://teamtutorials.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/horizontal-red-repeating-background-tutorial-19.jpg

ZeroBarrier
10-08-2012, 07:50 AM
These are close up on the lines with a phone camera:

1 | This is my screen on DiabloFans.com
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9498/img20121008011625.jpg

2 | This is my screen where I zoom into a dark place on a WOW screenshot
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/5176/img20121008012010.jpg

So what do you say to this? :(

I don't see the lines everyone else is talking about. You literally don't have any lines on those screenshots.

http://teamtutorials.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/horizontal-red-repeating-background-tutorial-19.jpg

Those striped lines is what everyone else is talking about, but that looks zoomed in.

edit: This is a pic another forum member posted that is exactly the problem. Straight lines that look lighter than the ones above and below them, and if looked at carefully looked like stripes in a straight row of pixels.

http://i.imgur.com/nml86.png

AverageK
10-08-2012, 08:49 AM
My phone's camera is too low def to be able to capture the lines apparently. So here's a few pics that show the lines when viewed on my screen. I circled some areas that might help direct your attention to the problem.

http://imgur.com/a/WMyjO#0

As you can see (unless you're blessed with a normal display), the screen does a bad job at shading, and instead displays those lines with some awful black gradients! Hook up your laptop to an external monitor to compare, as these lines only appear on the built-in display.

joyfulPo
10-08-2012, 08:57 AM
My phone's camera is too low def to be able to capture the lines apparently. So here's a few pics that show the lines when viewed on my screen. I circled some areas that might help direct your attention to the problem.

http://imgur.com/a/WMyjO#0

As you can see (unless you're blessed with a normal display), the screen does a bad job at shading, and instead displays those lines with some awful black gradients! Hook up your laptop to an external monitor to compare, as these lines only appear on the built-in display.
Exactly, EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Imagine playing EVE Online or The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim in a dark dungeon, you will notice it.
Imagine you are a designer, it ruins it. If you want a complete filled type of colored, you won't get it - it will have stripes. Quite quite awful thing to have on a brand new product!

c_man
10-08-2012, 10:16 AM
so what's the verdict?

The driver did not help.

Later on I'll have the serial and images.

c_man
10-08-2012, 10:19 AM

I have tried to explain that not every image/color is equal. Thus there are no problems on some images. But all my photo gradients are a mess. And a photo is a rather decent quality measure.

finalhour
10-08-2012, 12:19 PM
I have tried to explain that not every image/color is equal. Thus there are no problems on some images. But all my photo gradients are a mess. And a photo is a rather decent quality measure.

Thank you for the update and for explaining further on it! I look forward to your future updates on any possible fix/official word from ASUS

c_man
10-08-2012, 12:32 PM
I have sent the images, I have used this http://www.diablofans.com/news/1371-public-test-realm-patch-105-notes-update-ptr-maintenance-for-105-update-new-stash-tab-graphics/ as a source.

finalhour
10-09-2012, 03:47 AM
I have sent the images, I have used this http://www.diablofans.com/news/1371-public-test-realm-patch-105-notes-update-ptr-maintenance-for-105-update-new-stash-tab-graphics/ as a source.

Hey C_Man, I'm PM-ing you a screen shot from Lightroom 4 where I've been noticing the lines a LOT lately (they're REALLY bad). Sending a camera shot of the screen too and serial info

finalhour
10-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Here's my evidence of the issue, first image is a screenshot, second is a photo of the screen!

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ngejh4.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/xblq1i.jpg

c_man
10-09-2012, 10:20 AM
I did a little asking on this, and it's not a known issue internally, so if you are having this issue it'd be great if you could PM or email your serial number(s) and some screenshots to me. I'll pass those along internally and they can use the SN to trace things back to a specific batch of units if necessary. Anything else that might help reproduce the issue quickly and reliably is also appreciated.

While our glorious leader MarshallR can also do this sort of thing, my job is to take over some of the drudgery so he is free to do other things.

Well, PM cl-scott, it will work a lot faster. Not that I mind FW a PM myself, but I never got it.

finalhour
10-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Well, PM cl-scott, it will work a lot faster. Not that I mind FW a PM myself, but I never got it.

I think I confused the two of you hahaha I sent him it!

c_man
10-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Don't worry about it.

cl-scott
10-09-2012, 04:56 PM
I've been passing along the samples people have sent me, but in an effort to try and get to the bottom of this faster, has anyone here sent their unit in for service because of this specific issue? If yes, could you PM or email the RMA number to me?

Edit: Also, I can't do a cross ship, but if someone in the US wants to volunteer their system for testing by me I can set up an RMA to have the unit sent directly to me as a sample. You'll get it back, obviously, but because it's coming in for special attention it will take longer than the usual RMA turn around time to get the unit back. So please don't volunteer your system if you can't be without it for 1-2 months.

Cecil_2099
10-09-2012, 05:29 PM
What might also be useful is for the people who say they AREN'T noticing the problem to post up their video card, nvidia driver version, and screen manufacturer/model so we can see if there are any trends.

That said, depending on a person's visual acuity and threshold to details some users may not notice it at all when in fact it is there.

Shawnnepc
10-09-2012, 07:03 PM
I've been passing along the samples people have sent me, but in an effort to try and get to the bottom of this faster, has anyone here sent their unit in for service because of this specific issue? If yes, could you PM or email the RMA number to me?

Edit: Also, I can't do a cross ship, but if someone in the US wants to volunteer their system for testing by me I can set up an RMA to have the unit sent directly to me as a sample. You'll get it back, obviously, but because it's coming in for special attention it will take longer than the usual RMA turn around time to get the unit back. So please don't volunteer your system if you can't be without it for 1-2 months.

I'll check any of the models we have in stock and see if the issue exists.

If it does i'll send you one from inventory

finalhour
10-09-2012, 10:03 PM
I didn't notice it until I was doing some low light photoshop stuff, which I didn't really do much of all summer since summer is summer festivals (outdoor concerts)...it's only in the darker images that I get it, lighter stuff looks fantastic..

bignazpwns
10-09-2012, 10:30 PM
If you have line go ahead and post what LCD panel your unit has.

finalhour
10-10-2012, 12:46 PM
If you have line go ahead and post what LCD panel your unit has.

It's the same junk chi mei panel that everyone with this issue seems to have.

c_man
10-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Chi Mei 173HGE
CMO1720
HC9GK
Week: 2, Year: 2011

Cecil_2099
10-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Monitor Name: Chi Mei 173HGE
Monitor Name (Manuf): 173HGE [DELL P/N: HC9GK]
Serial Number: Unknown
Date Of Manufacture: Week: 2, Year: 2011
Monitor Hardware ID: Monitor\CMO1720

GeForce GTX 660M w/ 306.23 drivers

Hraesvelgr
11-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Have you solved the Problem?
Clevo P370EM has the same Problem with Chi Mei and GTX 680M - no matter which driver.
This Notebook has NO Optimus. The Clevo P170EM WITH optimus makes no Problems with nvidia and chi mei..
please forgive, that i post with backround of a different producer then asus, but its the same Problem and no one nows, how to solve it.
This was the only helpful thread i found for this Problem.

joyfulPo
11-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Problem not solved.

When my brightness is under 90% on the screen - I will see flows(waves) that go from north to down south of my screen, in waves, yes... :mad:

So it is always on 100% and I've noticed I'm getting headaches easily and it's just something weird looking at my screen even tho it as at 100%.

But yeah, I guess this is standard as 5 out of 5 G75VW have this thing - from two different sellers.
Three different setups.

riaz.baldeo
11-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Hello,

I don't know if this thread is dead by now, but i recently bought a G75vx and is having this problem (lines on the screen) I contacted Asus support but i just got an "update your driver response"

Did the update but still problem exists.

Here are some pics of the issue.

Anything i can do to get this off, I'd be thankful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BrandeX
11-12-2013, 10:37 AM
No it is a failing of the hardware. All of us with these chi mei just have to live with the problem, no one brought forth a class action lawsuit, so "the ship has sailed" - next time buy something else I guess.

TotalONE
11-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Hey, I had same issues on my G75 as well. I tried many different things people suggested me, sometimes its driver but it wasn't the case for my. I simply RMA it and received a well working unit. So who ever say they wont fix it is wrong, well at least for me, everything works properly now. Don't waste your time and send it if its still under warranty.

TotalONE
11-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Btw, try connecting to external monitor see if that will give you the same waves. Obviously connect to a good working monitor. If lines go away RMA it ASAP.

StreetGT
11-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Problem not solved.

When my brightness is under 90% on the screen - I will see flows(waves) that go from north to down south of my screen, in waves, yes... :mad:

So it is always on 100% and I've noticed I'm getting headaches easily and it's just something weird looking at my screen even tho it as at 100%.

But yeah, I guess this is standard as 5 out of 5 G75VW have this thing - from two different sellers.
Three different setups.

I have same problem, i sent to RMA, 3 screens replaced and all had the same issue.

Asus ROG just want , won't ever fix you that problem.