PDA

View Full Version : Buying today G75-BBK or G55VW RS for Architecture student?

Lancevfx
09-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Hey everyone, the title pretty much explained it. I thought about getting the BBK since its closer to drive and buy one, but I'm double thinking about the g55 as well (far drive) for its portability.

I got a scholarship to pay for my laptop ($2000 budget but I only want to use at least $1500 inc. Tax)
I will be using the laptop mostly for SIMS, Auto CAD (Big projects), Graphic design and many more.

Don't think I'll be bringing the laptop to school that much since I have a tablet for that.
But do you think the g75 is an overkill for my necessities?

Its huge! I can't really decide. I mean wouldn't be weird if I take out the g75 during Arch. Class? Compared to a g55?
(BTW I don't have a computer at home.., this will be my main computer.)

Thanks need opinion asap. I will update :)

DFox
09-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Hi Lancevfx,

I was in a similar situation as you. I'm a college student as well and I was debating over the g55 and the g75.

I went with the g75 because like you, i didn't need something i would take to class daily. I needed something that would sit at home and be my main computer. So if you're not planning on taking this around with you daily, highly recommend the g75 because you'll also get the larger screen.

Also, the g75 may be larger but the weight difference is marginal (less than half a pound, IIRC)

I purchased the BBK as well, I wanted to be able to return it to Best Buy in case I had any issues (3 weeks in and luckily I haven't! knock on wood). And best buy pretty much lets you "test-drive" for 30 days so maybe you can buy the BBK, try it out, take it around if you need, and see how you feel afterwards.

Good luck!

shadowarrowny
09-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Based solely on what you have stated, I would roll with the G75 - especially seeing as it would be your desktop replacement. I would not feel awkward in the least bit about busting out a big notebook, in fact I would be showing it off a bit :D

You already have a tablet ....

-Kevin

Lancevfx
09-28-2012, 01:37 AM
I got it! What an awesome laptop. I tried Sims 3 and everything was in max settings, it was silky smooth. I love it. How is BF3? Can it handle
Ultra?

BTW is it me or the display has like a light-bluish tint?
Also the track pad loses its sensitivity sometimes?

Finally an official ASUS ROG owner :-)
Screw Alienware lol, it was my first choice but I think they're getting overrated.

scrufy
09-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Turn off ASUS Smart Detect in the Mouse Settings for the trackpad. That is the fix...known issue.

The blue tint is correctable by pressing the ASUS button next to the power button to cycle though the different color balance schemes.
Or, alternatively just run the ASUS splendid utility.

I don't play BF3 so cant help there but so far every game I've tried runs highest graphics on everything no problem.