PDA

View Full Version : Trying to do a factory restore....

UndeadAura
09-28-2012, 12:02 AM
I got quite a few different viruses, and it's starting to take effect on my laptop...

I've been trying to do a factory restore, but it isn't working, there is no option for a factory restore, however I made sure to check and see if the partition is there, which it is.

Any help greatly appreciated!

zsld0423
09-28-2012, 12:24 AM
I think if you hit the F9 key, that should give the restore option. I never know when to press it, so I always just spam hit the button as I restart :-P

On a related note, how bad are the viruses? Usually Malwarebytes or Combofix will take care of anything I deal with at work, since it would mean you wouldn't lose all your data and such on the drive

UndeadAura
09-28-2012, 12:39 AM
All my sensitive information is already backed up, I need a clean slate now.

When I hit F9 it brings up a screen, Windows 7 boot, or System repair options.

When in repair options, Factory Restore isn't one of them....

I have seen a picture that someone posted on previous threads, where it should be listed, it's not there, but every other option is.

I have done my research, spent all day hunting down information, yet to find someone with the option missing, that HAS the recovery partition....

Thats why I'm posting here.

Thanks for the fast reply though :)

zsld0423
09-28-2012, 12:54 AM
So nothing like "Windows Setup [EMS Enabled]" shows up when you press F9? Is it possible to burn a copy of Win7 to a DVD and do a fresh install that way? Nothing against the Factory Restore, it just has all that bloatware on there :P But of course that can be uninstalled, and drivers updated. Or, if you're able to use your laptop for a little bit, by default there's an Asus utility called AI Recovery Burner that will let you burn a factory restore to 3 or 4 DVDs, which is the equivalent to the Recovery Partition

UndeadAura
09-28-2012, 12:57 AM
So doing a clean install of an OS should wipe everything off my harddrives?

But then I worry about drivers.....

I think I'll try the AI Recovery thing....

Since I am able to use my laptop for a few hours at a time....

Thanks! :D

zsld0423
09-28-2012, 01:21 AM
A clean install would wipe everything off of whichever drive you choose, so if you have 2 hard drives in, just wipe the C: Drive that has your OS install on it. My secondary drive has about 500GB of stuff on there and it remains untouched as long as I only format the 1st one. As for drivers, I would say download them from here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=) ahead of time and put them on a USB or even burn them to a disc for safe keeping