PDA

View Full Version : GPU fan going to 0 RPM periodically

Agent.Orange
09-28-2012, 06:57 AM
I thought I read that the gpu fan doesn't turn off on the g75, but I see on HWinfo64 that it drops down to 0RPM periodically whenthe gpu isn't under any load. It worries me a little bit because it sounds like its failing when it winds down to 0 rpm.

When there is a load on the GPU the fans run at a constat 3500rpm, no sudden drops to 0.

c_man
09-28-2012, 11:19 AM
I never had mine dropping like that.

dstrakele
09-28-2012, 04:03 PM
What version of HWINFO64 are you running?

Do you see this in the Sensors dialog or in the HWINFO32 Widget? Does it stay at 0 for a period of time, or just for an instant?

The reason I ask is I run verison 4.00-1680 and I notice the CPU and GPU Fan Speeds briefly disappear and then reappear on the HWINFO32 Widget on my G74SX, rather than being continuously displayed. I do not observe this behavior when viewing Fan Speeds in EC Sensor in the Sensors Dialog. I'm wondering if a later release has the speed drop to 0 rather than disappear from the HWINFO32 Widget.

c_man
09-28-2012, 04:38 PM
He said something about "sounds like". This made me skip the software bug.

Agent.Orange
09-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Hey guys,

I'm seeing this in my sensory dialog and it says 0 for a period of time (shows on graph too), it seems to be coinciding with my gpu temp. When it drops to about 37, the gpu fans turn off, and then when it climbs back to 40the fans kick back in.

Its really noticeable because the fans spin at 2000 rpm at that range, and i get that annoying high pitch hum.

I've read in another thread where people complain about this hum, and have asked for a way to turn off the fans at lower temps, but an asus rep replied saying that the fans do not turn off, he even points out that by having the fans go on and off it would be much more noticeable.

So its not suppose to be happening, but it is for me =S

dstrakele
09-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Interesting - Have you installed any Fan Speed Controlling software to your system?

c_man
09-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Do you in fact "hear" it not runing? Or even "feel" it (the exhaust air)? If so, this is the first time I see this. Then again I have never seen one that works at 37C.

Zygomorphic
09-28-2012, 09:27 PM
What power profile are you running? Battery Saver and Quiet Office do some stuff with the heat->fan-speed map, so it is possible that they have the fan turn off when the temperatures are very low. Saves battery and produces less noise. Just a thought.