PDA

View Full Version : Bsod

JoJoBeast
09-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, unfortunately its a bad one :(. So I purchased my G73sw back in August of 2011 and it worked well for a little bit. Then about 2 months after purchase, it stopped reading blu-rays (although I was told online that it was only a trial version of the player). Next, it started having video issues, this was about 4 months into my purchase. Every so often it would display a bunch of artifacts and then I would get an error message telling me my video device has stopped working and needed to restart. So now, on Monday there was a Windows update that it downloaded and installed. It told me it needed to restart, but I postponed twice (for a total of about 2 hours) because I was doing some class work. After that, it wouldn't start back up at all. I would hit the power button and the lights would come on, but it would just be a black screen(it wouldn't even turn on). After dealing with that for a couple days with getting no where, I took out the battery and let it discharge to reset the cmos. Now it turns on, but almost always it will get a BSOD at start up, before windows even loads. Sometime I can actually use Windows for about 5 - 10 minutes, but it will always BSOD. It doesn't matter if its safe-mode or normal, they both do it. The BSOD errors are always different as well, I wrote them down, but I'm at work right now and cant check. I'm just kinda pissed because this laptop is expensive($1400) and its only 13 months old. I don't expect it to work forever, but really, 13 months, that's ridiculous. Any insight to this issue would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt

dstrakele
09-28-2012, 03:49 PM
I recommend opening the laptop and reseating the RAM and HDD. Then run 1) memtest86+ (preferably on memory stick pairs for at least 3 passes each) and 2) CHKDSK C: /F /R from an elevated Command Prompt to confirm your file system is sound and check the HDD for bad sectors.