PDA

View Full Version : Recovery partition migration to SSD?

Pauleduc
09-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Is it possible to migrate the recovery partition from my old HD to a new SSD?

I installed both the new SSD and the old HD from my G53SW notebook on my desktop computer, where I formatted the new SSD the same as my old HD.. i.e., a hidden 20gb FAT32 partition and a new NTFS partiton for the remainder of the drive.. about 200GB.

My intention was to install the new SSD into my laptop and do a factory restore, but the new SSD will not boot up to the recovery partition when I use F9 during power on.

Is there something else I need to do to get the recovery partition to boot up?

btw.. I also tried using the recovery DVDs I created from the old HD - they work up to the end of disc 5, at which point I get a 1029 error. Someone suggested I need to buy new recovery DVDs from ASUS, but wouldn't these purchased DVDs be the same as the recovery DVDs I created, and thus give me the same 1029 error?

dstrakele
09-28-2012, 08:54 PM
You may have a bad burn on your DVD #5. I'd make sure you're running the latest version of Ai Recovery and create the .ISO files and burn the last DVD again. If you were using an earlier version, I'd burn the whole set again.

If that failed, I'd abandon the ASUS Recovery and it's DVD's (don't waste your money on purchasing the ASUS DVD's) and just burn a Windows 7 installation DVD from the Digital River website and perform a clean Windows install to your SSD. After you installed the device drivers and Windows Updates, and Activated your new installation, you could clone the partition (or run a Windows Backup with a System Image) and use it for your Recovery.

Pauleduc
09-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Ok, I found a way around this problem..

I installed both drives in my notebook.. the SSD in bay 1 and the old HD moved to bay 2.

Then I booted from the Acronis recovery boot CD. This CD has a section of tools, one of which is CLONE. I cloned the recovery partition from the old HD onto the new SSD.

Then I shut down and removed the old HD. Powered up and booted from the recovery (F9) partition, which worked very well - it installed the factory preload onto the remainder of the SSD into a Windows bootable partition. After the preload was restored, I booted up Windows and removed some bloat that I did not need. NOTE: do not remove any of the Oberon game software - it will kill the Function Keys!

After a few more reboots to ensure it was working correctly, I powered off and reinstalled the old HD into bay 2, and booted up and formatted the old HD (now my data drive). btw.. rebooting is incredibly fast with the SSD.. 20 to 30 seconds!

And that's it.. hope this helps others thinking of replacing their HD with a SSD - one of the best upgrades I have ever made (once I figured out how to transfer the recovery partition to it :-)

It should be noted that I wanted to perform a factory preload, as I had been having weird problems before, and wanted to ensure that I started over clean. After restoring the hidden factory partiton, you could have restored your OS from a backup if you wished. I think it was important for me to restore this hidden partition, as I could not restore the factory preload from the DVDs that I had created previously.

juv96hrn
09-10-2013, 07:27 PM
If if wasn't for my DVD player being broken and every DVD recocery set I tried to burn before that came out with errors this would have been nice to know.