PDA

View Full Version : G53JW dvd-rw issues though not used too much!

kimiraikkonen
09-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Hi guys,
You know that G53 series have "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N" dvd-rw drive produced by LG. I used to burn and verify DVDs fine but DID NOT use my drive too long as i didn't need to burn anything. Today i tried to burn and verify a Windows 7 ISO using ImgBurn and burning was just fine WHEREAS the disc seemed to appear empty and verification has failed after burn.

I used Ritek F16-01 as media, branded TDK. I know they're crap but i am not able to find any other brand here. DVD-rw has AS01 firmware and no newer is available.

What should i do? Did my dvd-rw drive die although it wasn't used really much? I only burned a few discs since i first purchased my notebook.

Any comment or similar experience is greatly appreciated!

zsld0423
09-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Is your DVD drive still reading discs at all? Like if you put a DVD movie in, will it read it? Or just sit there and act like no disc was inserted?

kimiraikkonen
12-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Is your DVD drive still reading discs at all? Like if you put a DVD movie in, will it read it? Or just sit there and act like no disc was inserted?

It fails to read "some" dics that it has burned like "Ritek F16-01" ones, branded TDK. But found out that it can read Maxell discs with the same ATIP code (Ritek F16-01) which is really interesting. Plus, it still can read "genunine" DVD movies fine, and some other CD-R discs. I'm so suprised why it cannot read its own-burned discs. And no firmware updates is available for "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N" drive?

Any ideas?

Pitcher@asus
12-06-2012, 03:02 AM
is your DVD bule-ray, you are play blue-ray DVD? or i think it is your DVD read-write head damage.

kimiraikkonen
12-08-2012, 10:27 PM
is your DVD bule-ray, you are play blue-ray DVD? or i think it is your DVD read-write head damage.

No Bluray, G53JW-XA1 has a DVD-RW (DVD-RAM) drive. It can read some discs and no physical damage has been occured, so it's really interesting. I didn't use the drive too much. Though my failed discs were TDK branded with Ritek ATIP, the same chemical integrity causes no problem with Maxell discs, but more interesting, the TDK branded discs can be read just fine on other drives including Asus 5.25" desktop drives. So, what the hell?

Gorman
12-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Sounds stupid, but according to random articles I read online when googling this problem, apparently it fails to burn files and will only burn folders? Found this "solution" on justanswer.com ... If it is true, then that is quite a strange solution...

You sure as hell do have a weird problem there mate, good luck...

Zygomorphic
12-09-2012, 11:19 AM
No Bluray, G53JW-XA1 has a DVD-RW (DVD-RAM) drive. It can read some discs and no physical damage has been occured, so it's really interesting. I didn't use the drive too much. Though my failed discs were TDK branded with Ritek ATIP, the same chemical integrity causes no problem with Maxell discs, but more interesting, the TDK branded discs can be read just fine on other drives including Asus 5.25" desktop drives. So, what the hell?

Make sure that your computer is flat on the table, and try to get some quality writeable media such as Maxtor. If the G-series optical drives are tipped at all, they have problems with reading DVDs, so I would assume that the problems would also exist in writing them. I had the hardest time trying to read a DVD (And I don't use mine much either) until I took the airflow supports out from under the notebook. Then it read the disc fine.