PDA

View Full Version : Drive Partitioning ...GUID vs MBR

tkolarik
09-30-2012, 03:36 AM
I have a Windows Home Server that automatically backs up all our home computers EXCEPT the G75VW. Reason is that it can't handle GUID partitions. Will there be any performance hits, etc if I set up my boot Intel 520 240GB SSD as a MBR disk?

Ibz
09-30-2012, 05:35 AM
no, it will actually perform better

Clintlgm
09-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Just curious why would MBR Perform better the GPT.
also not promoting any product here but Acronis does support GUID back ups Disk and Partition, Clone disk to disk. I do have images created but so far have not actual restored a disk or partition or tried a clone disk to disk. So take this is with a grain of salt. I have been using Acronis for some time now and have had good luck with it. Their documentation say they can do this and the back ups and images were created.

tkolarik
09-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Acronis may be good, but I have never seen or heard of a better product for backing up multiple computers than MS Windows Home Server 2011.
First, I just set it up and backups all my computer in the background...no user intervention, and makes shadow copies. Restoring, it allows me to use any backup (which maybe quite numerous) or just open the image and grab an individual file. I can use a CD or USB drive to boot the computers to restore directly from the WHS2011. Each file from all the computers, if it is exactly the same, is only stored once in order to save disk space. I can set the time and date of backups and whether to wake a computer from sleep to do that. Plus, I can run game servers off the Home Server. I paid $38 for the software and built it from un-needed parts from upgrading.

scrufy
09-30-2012, 08:36 PM
@tkolarik
For 38 bucks, I have to agree with you. For more money though, there are many alternatives out there with many more features such as redundancy.. ala Drobo style, or off site , Carbonite ..,etc . . . but like I said, for 38 bucks - Windows does a good job for what it is.

tkolarik
09-30-2012, 09:38 PM
CArbonite!!!! One computer $59 per year! I have 3 laptops and 3 desktops and my server have 2 - 1.5 TB drives for data and a couple more for
home streaming. AS far as redundancy, my server backs up the computers and then backs up that drive with the back ups on it plus backs up the shared server files.. It's not Windows its the Home Server 2011 based on the Windows Server 2008.

scrufy
10-02-2012, 03:38 AM
CArbonite!!!! One computer $59 per year! I have 3 laptops and 3 desktops and my server have 2 - 1.5 TB drives for data and a couple more for
home streaming. AS far as redundancy, my server backs up the computers and then backs up that drive with the back ups on it plus backs up the shared server files.. It's not Windows its the Home Server 2011 based on the Windows Server 2008.
And you have a fire at home and everythings lost. Tax records, pictures, will, etc.. depends on your priorities. Three point backup. One needs to be off site. Another thing is having copies of the data on the backup drives configured in such a way that there is always two copies running of every sector like Drobo does. You can lose any drive and just pop a new one in and it automatically brings it into the raid and re-copies the data so no one hardware failure will take out your data. And I understand it's home server.
Like I said, for $38 bucks, you get reliable copies. I don't know what more I can say about that.