PDA

View Full Version : SSD Caching on G75VW

chicklet
10-01-2012, 01:46 PM
According to the Intel website, the HM77 chipset supports Intel Smart Response Technology which uses an SSD as cache for the HDD (more info here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/mobile-chipset-hm77.html and here: http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/intel_smart_response_technology_user_guide.pdf). So, I installed a spare 120GB SSD into the G75VX's unused SATA port and set the ports to RAID in the BIOS. However, after installing the both the 11.2 and 11.6 versions of Intel RST software, the accelerate button is not available as per the instructions.

Also, if I do a Ctrl-I on bootup to access the RAID options I see the Accelerate option in the menu but it's greyed out. I do have all the latest drivers and BIOS so I know that is not the issue.

I've checked the User's Manual and it does not make any reference to supporting Intel RST but it does give instructions on how to set up Intel Rapid Start Technology which seems to be a different thing altogether (and not as useful).

So, I just wanted to know if anyone has done this on a G75VW, or is it not supported? If it's not supported what are the chances that it might be with a BIOS update?

chicklet
10-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Too technical for this forum? Is there somewhere else I should post my question?

To take things in a slightly different direction, I decided to use my SSD for Intel Rapid Start Technology (instead of the Rapid STORAGE Technology, thanks Intel for naming things so confusingly). The G75VW manual says this, and I quote:

"Before applying Intel Rapid Start Technology, go to Advanced Mode > Advanced > PCH Configuration in BIOS item, and enable Intel Rapid Start Technology."

I press F2 at startup and that brings me to this Aptio Setup Utility. There is an "Advanced" section there but no mention of any PCH Configuration. Do I have to press some other button to get to Advanced Mode? Am I even in the right place? I've checked the manual and online but I have not been able to find any information on how to access Advanced Mode or this PCH configuration. Anyone with info please share!

rewben
10-03-2012, 05:17 AM
maybe the question is this: does g75 support SSD caching?

for instance, we know that our CPU is capable to provide built-in hd graphics. but we do not have auto-switching because it's disabled by default.

but, why do you need SSD caching when you can just use the SSD as OS drive and HDD as storage?

by the way where did you get that g75VX? am i missing something?

edit: what i meant was: is the bios of g75 support SSD caching?

chicklet
10-03-2012, 11:29 AM
The reason I wanted to do SSD caching is because the SSD that I have is only 120GB. Once I start loading up games like GW2 and DiabloIII it's going to get low on space pretty quickly, even if I store all my pictures and other junk on the HDD.

Irregardless of whether or not the BIOS supports Rapid Storage Technology, it SHOULD support Rapid Start Technology because it is in the manual but I don't see the options for it in the BIOS. So either I'm missing something or the manual is wrong.

BTW it's the G75VW, not the G75VX.

So I'm going to try contacting Asus support and see if either of these options are possible. If not I'll just reinstall everything on the SSD and save up for another Intel 520 SSD down the road and do a RAID0 configuration.

rewben
10-03-2012, 01:36 PM
ok got it :)

yes i found the section about intel rapid start thing in my g55 manual as well.

when i checked my bios there was no PCH in the advanced tab lol! perhaps it's because i have 2 ssds or didn't run raid so the option was not there.

please keep us posted if there're news on this.

finalhour
10-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I'd suggest just installing games to a secondary HDD and using the SSD for purely OS files. I have mine set up so that docs, music, photos, etc are all saving to my HDD and it keeps my SSD healthy and lightning-fast

RyanF
02-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Has anyone successfully resolved this?

I'd like to do the SRT caching as well. It suits my needs and the chipset is capable, but the option does not appear when it should.

chicklet
06-02-2013, 04:20 PM
I did contact support but the support person did not seem to understand what I wanted to do so in the end I gave up with the hopes that maybe some future BIOS update will fix whatever the problem is with that option not being available. Would be nice to get a boost in speed from the SSD as cache and keep the large HDD so I don't have to spend my life's savings just to get an SSD large enough to do both.

cheek
06-02-2013, 06:42 PM
running games off ssd will get u shorter loading times. that is all. you will not get noticeably faster performance or 5-10 fps increase. all that is still down to your in order of importance 1. video card 2. processor. 3. ram. 4. read write speed of HDD/SSD

tkolarik
06-03-2013, 02:29 AM
I looked at a Z77 chipset motherboard that did the same thing but it had a special SSD connection on the board, kind of how memory chips are installed, for the drive to connect. Even though other Z77 had the right chipset, if it didnt have the connector for the dr8ve, you could not cache the HD.

RyanF
06-03-2013, 02:48 AM
Cheek the speed boost we're looking for has nothing to do with FPS, but load times, in and out of games.

tkolarik that's an msata connector, they're getting pretty common, but are usually only sata2 (at least on my maximus desktop boards)

What I (and others, chiklet) am looking for is not related to either of those things. We have a pair of sata 3 ports, and a chipset that should allow us to use one of those ports for SRT, or data-caching. This offers 90% of the performance of an ssd, with all of the size of the spindle drive under a single drive letter without moving apps onto and off of a larger/smaller driver as needed.

The chipset allows it. The physical connectors allow it. The BIOS does not enable it. Why?

tkolarik
06-03-2013, 04:13 AM
I just read the pdf on the Intel site and the requirements list a "desktop" board.

tkolarik
06-03-2013, 04:24 AM
On the Intel site, they show the advantages of the MOBILE H77 and one being caching. Then on the SRT pager it says desktop boards only.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/mobile-chipset-hm77.html

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032826.htm?wapkw=intel+smart+response+technology

RyanF
06-03-2013, 04:47 AM
too right tko, I tend to trust the product briefs.

So the feature is optional depending on the manufacturer, so can we see if ASUS has the raid enabled chipsets?

https://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G75VW/#specifications
"RAID0/1 Support"

So it has the hardware.....

*shrug*

tkolarik
06-03-2013, 04:57 AM
I don't agree, Intel contradicted themselves. They said it was available in the mobile version then said a requirement was a desktop motherboard.

RyanF
06-03-2013, 05:53 AM
Desktop boards are not a requirement.

This hp shipped with 32gb of caching enabled:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03367057&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5273936

whathedo69
06-05-2013, 01:19 AM
I have 2 128gb vertex 4 ssd drives in raid 0 with Intel rapid storage technology and everything works flawless I get almost 800mb read and write speeds when I first installed them I did a fresh install of windows 7 then when everything was up and running I went over to intels site and downloaded the irst driver and everything has been working great bots fast and never has any lags or hiccups if you go to you tube there is a video that shows you exactly step by step on setting up your ssd drives.

RyanF
06-16-2013, 05:31 AM
2 identical ssd's is a raid.

We know it does raid.

If it does raid it should ALSO do caching.

Caching however is not allowed in the bios and for no good reason.

Very specifically.... Only.... One ssd+ and one HDD CACHING.

I know Intel has used SRT for at least 2 different technologies but the one we want is the ssd caching... Not a regular raid 0 or 1.

GottiBoi55
06-17-2013, 01:12 PM
I'd suggest just installing games to a secondary HDD and using the SSD for purely OS files. I have mine set up so that docs, music, photos, etc are all saving to my HDD and it keeps my SSD healthy and lightning-fast

I second that suggestion!
I do the same, all DATA and game files are on the HDD, also backups are there.
On my SSD I have the OS and apps I use for video convertion or editing, and other apps that benifit from the speed of a SSD.