PDA

View Full Version : Asus laptop with SSD

PindaPower
10-01-2012, 04:31 PM
I got a laptop: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=nl-nl&p=3&m=X77JQ&hashedid=n/a
And i want to upgrade with a SSD. But there is only 1 connection for a harddisk.
How can I upgrade my latop but still use my old harddisk? ;)

Zka17
10-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the ROG Forum!

Asking this question in the laptop section actually would be more helpful for you... since in this section is more about custom desktop builds...

NathanieLz
10-01-2012, 04:56 PM
maybe you should change your HDD to SSD
and then use your HDD internal from your laptop become HDD external
so your laptop using internal SSD + external HDD
well,that's my opinion :)

Zygomorphic
10-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Moved thread to appropriate sub-forum. No worries, @PindaPower! :)

PindaPower
10-02-2012, 05:28 AM
THanks, i find something like hdd caddy. I can try that out

Zygomorphic
10-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Yup! Let me know how it goes! I am curious myself! :)

Myk SilentShadow
10-02-2012, 11:21 AM
An external HDD case will definitely be what you need, make sure it's a 2.5" model and supports the SATA revision of your HDD and of course it should have USB connectivity too :)

PindaPower
10-19-2012, 06:52 AM
This is the final answer you are waiting for. I bought a hdd caddy 12.7mm (http://hddcaddy.nl/winkel/#ecwid:category=1735048&mode=product&product=7407869)
This was the perfect size for my laptop (ASUS x77jq)
When I got the hdd caddy it was little but difficult to get the cd-rom out of my latop because the amount of screw. But I got after hour. I also remove the plastic front of the cd-rom and put it on the hdd caddy. That why you don't is that it's change.
I have put my harddisk in the hdd caddy and everything work fine.
For you all, I was surprise how good the harddisk fit in the caddy. The harddisk has no space to go anywhere so nice it fit in the caddy.
My experience this that a hdd caddy a good way is to get a SSD/second hdd in a old laptop.
Hope this make more sense what I have done and what my experience was.
If something is not correct type or you want to now more. I will follow this thread for a little while longer the answer you questions.