PDA

View Full Version : G75 660m Unlock core clock

Guido7142
10-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi, I just wanted to ask if anybody knew how to edit the Vbios of the 660m in a G75 so that we can take the core clock over the limit of +135 MHz. I tried with Nibitor and it did not recognize my card.
Any help would be appreciated.

bignazpwns
10-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I have however until you know what brand of memory your card uses you cant flash it as the GTX 660m's in them have memory that came from two manufacturers from what i seen and have diffront timings. Flashing the bios with the wrong memory will brick the card and you will have to do a blind flash to restore it. Over at norebook review in gaming there is a guid to overclocking them. I personally gotten the GTX 660m over 1,300mhz on the core.

Guido7142
10-01-2012, 08:26 PM
How did you manage to get the core up to 1300 ?

bignazpwns
10-01-2012, 08:48 PM
changing the values for the P0 state and forcing that p state.

Now you might not be able to pull that kind of overclock. Start low work your way up as you can BSOD and corrupt your windows instal "rare but i have had it happen to my self but i use to bench so i dont prob. 1000X more overclocking then the normal person and i use to run clocks that were borderline unstable "maybe by about 5mhz from bsoding"

Go here
http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/677169-nvidia-mobile-kepler-6xx-master-overclocking-guide-workaround-max-clocks-oc-stability.html

Also with GPUZ right click the top of the title bar of the program then click read ASiC quality. If you have a low % it will effect your overclock. My GTX 660m is 100% and one of the top clocking 660m's so if your only at 80% dont expect anything close to 1300mhz be happy with 1100.

Also flashing a modded bios to the card will void your warranty just a FYI.

Guido7142
10-01-2012, 09:35 PM
I have tested it and reached 1200+. Is there a way to generate command line to make the fan speed to kick at 100% all the time ? Ej: -speedfan: 100.

bignazpwns
10-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Nope. Temp controlled. If you don't like your warranty you can mod the fan. I use a 3 position switch and some resistors to give me 35% 50% and 100% fan speeds. But this involves small soldering and some electronics work that can screw your system up.

Guido7142
10-02-2012, 12:36 AM
I was thinking of doing such thing. What did you exactly do ? Sort of a bypass between the fan connector and the mobo ?

bignazpwns
10-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Yup. Just find your voltage you need and make sure i provides enough current if you don't have a current meter its voltage / resistance.

c_man
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
I don't think there is any 660M with ASIC under 100%.

Also in the past I had much better performance and reliability with cards that had ASIC worse than others. Something rather strange.

bignazpwns
10-02-2012, 03:50 PM
I seen some GTX 660m's with 80's that wouldn't break 1,100 on the core out of dell's.

c_man
10-02-2012, 03:57 PM
These must be new on the market. Any idea?

The first ones I got to play with were all 100. I guess now Nvidia will start to make them even less OC since new cards will be on the market soon. I remember some cards in the past with ASIC like 50-60.

bignazpwns
10-02-2012, 04:10 PM
These must be new on the market. Any idea?

The first ones I got to play with were all 100. I guess now Nvidia will start to make them even less OC since new cards will be on the market soon. I remember some cards in the past with ASIC like 50-60.

All depends on what batch they were from and what wafer they were from. Every gpu from the wafer mine came from should be able to hit around 1,400 on the core with no volt mods. Now the odds of someone getting one that knows how to oc it and wants to oc it that high are pretty rare but they are out there.

Its really not about them making them oc better or worse. Its all about the wafer they were made on and the rest of the process. This is where binning comes into play. Those who want higher clocks will ask for higher binned chips. Now i know apple liked to get good bins but the GTX 660m overclock in the Mac book pros suck because of the dinky 85w psu and thats barley enough to keep the system at stock clocks powered let alone a mild oc on the GTX 660m so i would like to see one of those given enough power and see how high they went for the quality of the GPU's.

Best clocking kerplers i seen have come from

Asus
MSI
Alienware

c_man
10-02-2012, 04:13 PM
True. But who will get the best, new cards or the 660M that OC way too much after all.

Guido7142
10-02-2012, 08:11 PM
I can hit 1270, at 1280 I get artifacts. Memory i get artifacts at 3130. How far can you take the memory ? I feel as if the 28 bit in the memory are a huge restrain... in GTA 4 (fully modded) during heavy traffic my FPS drops a lot while in no such load of traffic, FPS stay at a nice 30+.

HulkSmash
10-14-2012, 02:58 AM
I'm hiting 1250, but my ASI is 71.9%. I feel it can go further, as I haven't seem where it starts to artifact....but at 71.9, shouldn't I have a lower limit on OC?

Guido7142
10-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Strange, all people seem to have ASI at 100. Still, you get almost the same OC than me and mine reads 100.

bignazpwns
10-14-2012, 08:16 AM
ASI means nothing unless your going for the gold. And by gold i mean volt modding. Every GK107 should pull atleast 1200 on the core. The crappy clocking GK107's were binned at GT 650m's

That said i got a ASI of 100%. With a volt mod i can hit 1500 on the core temps are higher then i like but i can bench it but i dont know if the G75's power circuity can hold up to that much current draw so its just a bench run clock.

As for you memory its not going to make a huge increase in your scores but it will soften the blow when you have a lot going on in the game.

Now your core clock overclocking gives you the ability to process more calculations per second. Means nothing if we dont have the information getting to the gpu in that second. A big memory buss helps. When your looking at a 125bit vs 192bit or 256bit. You can get the performance of the 256bit running slower memory on a 128bit running fast overclocked memory. The memory on my card attracts at 4000 on the nose. "We might have diff brand of memory ic's used on our card i know they used 2" However because i had the better ic's "Why my memory clocked so high" This is becaus my memory pulls for stock clocks at lower timings but since they use one bios they run my memory at higher timeings because the other ram cant handle the lower timeings.

Now i went and modded my bios but i also tweaked my memory timings and got them as tight as i could get. The result is my memory runs faster now but will not clock as high. I run my memory at 3225 for just benching at about 2900 for every day use.

I have done some testing and with the timings i run and clocks my cards between a 192 and a 256bit in terms of performance. But keep in mind to get this its not like moving a slider you need to have a understanding of how memory work and modding bios and all that. It took me a few years to learn how to do this and the biggest influence to me was Viperjonh because who was the one who guided me. "Anyone into super high end hardware and benching knows Viperjonh."

And if anyone was wounder no i wont send my bios out because there's a very good chance it will brick your system since it was made for my card. I don't mod anyone bios because its just to risky sending files like that back and forth because the error of one bit can potentially brick your card.

I mean if we wanna get nutty we can start a hardcore notebook benching team. And if i get sent parts i'll oc the living crap out of them. I got LN2 pots i can rig up as well as 300w tecs i'll pump some nasty volts to the card i mean keplers already hit over 2.1ghz and i think they will hit even higher then that. I would pump the volts to this GTX 660m but i cant kill this system because i'm selling it soon and will pick up a new system to mess around with.

But currently my GTX 660m holds the number one spot with its daily clock for 3D Mark 11. And i got a score ov a little over 4k i just have to submit from my bench run but i wont submit that until my score gets topped. Just feeling it out right now only comp is from some Alienwares and some MSI's bolth of them i know i can beat but i wanna see how hard they will push their cards because my highest bench i can push a little more.

As for the quality of chips from Nvidia. Over the years i seen the earlier versions oc higher and cooler and what not. Seems like they do a good job for launch chips then slack a little unlike intel i got some ES's that rocked and some ES's that sucked like a hoover.

That said who knows what revision A3 might give us. We might get some power draw reduction or some optimizations that kill our overclock headroom. Or a optimization that improves the gpu and clock for clock makes it something like 3% faster. I know A2's were better then the A1's and clocked higher however A3 my be reverse as Nvidia has started to scale back on overclocking and overvolting. and has put some pretty crappy terms to their board partners and things they need to do for them to warranty their chips. Knowing that i think we will see a decline in overclocking and slight improvements clock for clock but nothing to match the overclocking headroom we would lose but only time will tell.

Guido7142
10-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Interesting... I have doubts about what you say on gaining performance on the memory, apparently there are two ways of doing that, or you OC it or you change the timings. Can you explain a little bit more about the timings and how to modify them ?

bignazpwns
10-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Interesting... I have doubts about what you say on gaining performance on the memory, apparently there are two ways of doing that, or you OC it or you change the timings. Can you explain a little bit more about the timings and how to modify them ?

If you gotta ask, tweeking the timings is way to advanced for you. You need to know what timeings they can pull "Data sheets help for this" And then test those or even lower ones. Results in a few blind flushes.

No doubts about it its all on how memory works and interfaces to the system or in this case the gpu. People are quite a bit behind on the memory games. Most people still think going from 1333mhz ram with lower timings to some higher timing 1600 gives a performance boost when today it wont outside of a small increase in some synthetic benches because people forgot that memory controllers are now on the die.

Looking at memory we got

cas amount of time in cycles between sending a reading command
trcd the amount of time in cycles for issuing an active command and the read/write commands
trp minimum time between active commands and the read/writes of the next bank on the memory module
tras The amount of time between a row being activated by precharge and deactivated

From that you can see that overall memory clock is just 1/2 the story.

The whole idea of the game is to get your timings set up so your operations are going as fast as they can yet stable and your clock up so your bandwidth is high. I seen on the GTX 660m the point in where you can jack the memory's clock up and you wont gain anything. That's why i started to mess with the timings . Get more points in the bench's and it does handle the bigger textures much better now.

I'm not going to make a guide on altering the cards timings just for the fact that its just to advanced and the second someone bricks their card they will try to rma it. The info is on the internet if anyone wants to dig it up and learn it.

Guido7142
10-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Thanks a lot for the explanation. I will not try to mod timings but still is nice to know about it.

K4mil888
12-09-2012, 02:25 PM
What's up guys ?
I'm new to ROG forums and would like to say Hello everyone.
I would like to ask You guys a question about gpu-z & gtx 660m.
I would like to extract the V-BIOS, I read about it a lot and I think I'm ready to do some modding, but I keep getting an error.
The error message is as follows: "NVFLASH.ROM was not found" forbidding me to be able to come back in case the new V-BIOS is no good.
What can I do to get rid of this error, it specifies the missing .rom file is in a "Temp" directory.

Guido7142
12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Same happens to me, I did not dig much into it since I found a way to get passed +135 with this http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/677169-nvidia-mobile-kepler-6xx-master-overclocking-guide-workaround-max-clocks-oc-stability.html.

K4mil888
12-09-2012, 09:24 PM
changing the values for the P0 state and forcing that p state.

If possible could You elaborate on that. What do You use to force the P0 state (I tried nVidia Inspector + Command Prompt).
I typed: -setGpuClock:0,0,1150 -setMemoryClock:0,0,3000 -forcepstate:0,0, but the commands seem to have no effect. I was able to force the P5 state to 1250Mhz, but was not able to touch the memory clock at all or I crash. I do have a regular OC through MSi Afterburner to +135MHz Core & 3100MHz Memory and get very nice FPS and temp. 62*C MAX !!!
Just want a bit of help with taking this GTX to the max possible without V-BIOS flash which I can't seem to do on my G75.
Any help would b great.

Guido7142
12-09-2012, 09:49 PM
This is what I use:
nvidiaInspector.exe -setVoltageOffset:0,0,0 -setGpuClock:0,2,1270 -setMemoryClock:0,2,3050 -forcepstate:0,0

Try that. Or just keep searching you the config that works you fine, it took me a while to figure out how to make it work and a bit more to see how to understand the command lines. If you keep having trouble I'll be glad to help.

K4mil888
12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
@ Guido7142 Thank You for a prompt response.
I'll give a try when I come back from work today.

Guido7142
12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
No problem, if you have any doubt just ask, glad to help.

K4mil888
12-12-2012, 04:40 AM
Hah, just checked my 660m's ASCI. It's a slow 60.7% ?!?!?!. I'm pretty sure the command lines I used are good but the GPU would not OC at times and sometimes it would just shut down the driver and recover it :[
Damn I'm really can't wait to get my hands on the G75VX if it comes out in 2 days.

I would like to ask You one more time to explain the command You used. The "0,2,1270" command suggests that You use a P2 state am I correct ?? If so could You tell me which of the states is it: IDLE, LOAD or PERFORMANCE state ? My GTX 660M has P8 - IDLE, P5 - LOAD & P0 - PERFORMANCE.
Thank You.

Guido7142
12-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Mine also has those states but I don't remember how I found out that some people were using 0.2 and when I tried it it worked for me. I really do not know which of those states 0.2 is but it worked.

lilfoot95
12-12-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm pretty sure p2 is load and P0 is Performance on these GPU's

K4mil888
12-12-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm pretty sure p2 is load and P0 is Performance on these GPU's

Well my brother, what I'm saying is I don't have a P2 state. I have P8, P5 & P0.
Which one do You OC when doing this ?? Your P2 which is my P5 or the P0 ??
Some say that OC'ing the P0 is not good because of the GPU Turbo Core feature on Keplers.
So I figure You guys OC the "Load" state (P2 orP5) is the one You guys mess with, but any confirmation would be great.

Guido7142
12-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Nono, I don't have a P2 state, but somehow putting a 0.2 in the command line makes my OC work. I did this some time ago so I really do not remember exactly what I found out about these states but I just messes around with the command lines until I fond what made it work. Try messing around with it, the worse that can happen is that clocks get stuck at a given frequency and can not default them with another batch file, in such case delete and re install the drivers and you should be fine.

lilfoot95
12-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Well my brother, what I'm saying is I don't have a P2 state. I have P8, P5 & P0.
Which one do You OC when doing this ?? Your P2 which is my P5 or the P0 ??
Some say that OC'ing the P0 is not good because of the GPU Turbo Core feature on Keplers.
So I figure You guys OC the "Load" state (P2 orP5) is the one You guys mess with, but any confirmation would be great.

Hmm I had no idea about not OC'ing on the P0 state cause that's what I do mine on but the way I do it mine stays at where I set it at it doesn't fluctuate. When I get off work I can try it on my p2 state and see if it's any different. The benchmark in my sig was in P0 state.