PDA

View Full Version : Trouble playing The Witcher 2?

kuudou
10-02-2012, 04:57 AM
I got my ASUS G75VW-DS72 (i7-3610QM/670M) just a few days ago. And have been testing out a few games on it. Seems to be doing fine so far except for The Witcher 2.

The game started out unplayable with ~30 frames on MEDIUM settings (Vsync off, most major things off). And the frames would skip a whole bunch.

So I googled around and it seems like uninstalling Nvidea 3D Vision driver, as well as changing Maximum pre-rendered Frames to 1 from the Nvidea Control Panel helps. I did all that...and while the frames don't skip that severely anymore it is still very unplayable.

This was a game that ran better on my G73.

What am I doing wrong? Granted I just got this laptop and all I've done is update the driver to 306.23 (just kinda overwrote the old one with the Nvidea built-in clean install option, but I doubt that's the main reason).

So can anyone here actually run this game properly with a similar laptop? If so what did you do? And any tips on how I can improve the performance of this laptop is greatly appreciated.

Apexing
10-02-2012, 08:46 AM
is ubersampling off ?

kuudou
10-02-2012, 06:20 PM
is ubersampling off ?

Of course yeah. Even turned Vsync off. How are you running this game with the laptop that you have? Is it the Enhanced Edition?

Apexing
10-02-2012, 07:31 PM
I have not tried to run it ony this laptop.
but you are correct, your fps should be a lot better or atleast more steady. can you test out different resolutions ingame and see if there is any changes in how stable the fps is?

mrwolf
10-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Heyy there Kuudou, You came to the right place to get your witcher 2 info :p

I played witcher 2 Enhanced Edition like a month ago and i gotta say.. AMAZZING GAME ! TOP TOP TOP RPG title !!!!!

Anyways, yea i was pretty dissapointed to see such bad performance on my beastly G75 with SSD and 16Gb ram ! After a while of searching and doing research i came to the conclusion that it is due to the game engine. Now we cant change that but you can tweak things to get better performance.

Firstly you need the witcher tweaking tool that allows you to alter every little detail of visual/graphic quality. The main things you wanna turn down is AA and motion blur and shadow settings. Also there should be a setting that allows you to change the memory usage, and this can be put to a much higher level than the game allows with the witcher tweaker tool. We can put it up higher than normal due to our chunky 3GB GTX670M ;) ;).. Also i highly highly recommend you overclock you system to 720/1650, This helped me alot as it made everything alot more stable in terms of FPS and gave me like 30-45 frames with alot of things maxed out :)
I wish i had a good memory i could tell you my optimum set up but i have completely forgot :( Either way we had a discussion thread about this before and theres alot of useful info+links (including witcher tweaker tool) and here is the link to that: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18554-Witcher-2

kuudou
10-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Heyy there Kuudou, You came to the right place to get your witcher 2 info :p

I played witcher 2 Enhanced Edition like a month ago and i gotta say.. AMAZZING GAME ! TOP TOP TOP RPG title !!!!!

Anyways, yea i was pretty dissapointed to see such bad performance on my beastly G75 with SSD and 16Gb ram ! After a while of searching and doing research i came to the conclusion that it is due to the game engine. Now we cant change that but you can tweak things to get better performance.

Firstly you need the witcher tweaking tool that allows you to alter every little detail of visual/graphic quality. The main things you wanna turn down is AA and motion blur and shadow settings. Also there should be a setting that allows you to change the memory usage, and this can be put to a much higher level than the game allows with the witcher tweaker tool. We can put it up higher than normal due to our chunky 3GB GTX670M ;) ;).. Also i highly highly recommend you overclock you system to 720/1650, This helped me alot as it made everything alot more stable in terms of FPS and gave me like 30-45 frames with alot of things maxed out :)
I wish i had a good memory i could tell you my optimum set up but i have completely forgot :( Either way we had a discussion thread about this before and theres alot of useful info+links (including witcher tweaker tool) and here is the link to that: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18554-Witcher-2

Thank for the info. It's really upsetting that so much effort has to be put into a game that technically caters more to Nvidia hardware.

I'll definitely check out this info though.

I have not tried to run it ony this laptop.
but you are correct, your fps should be a lot better or atleast more steady. can you test out different resolutions ingame and see if there is any changes in how stable the fps is?

Yeah I can only presume that the game can run better on low res. Also I tested other game modes for while and it's quite perplexing.

Arena mode runs SUPER smooth (although most areas here are more enclosed, and has less woods area to render). It's mostly the tutorial that simply refuses to run properly. I have not played the game further to test how Flotsam runs. Although I can confirm that cutscenes are still kind of buggy (cinematics mainly) the first area of the game runs well without SSAO, Bloom, and Vsync.

So far I GUESS it's PLAYABLE. I'm just severely disappointed with the performance issues for a game that caters to Nvidia users.

Also an interesting thing I found was that the game actually had very few problems before they patched it as the Enhanced Edition.

mrwolf
10-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Although I can confirm that cutscenes are still kind of buggy (cinematics mainly) the first area of the game runs well without SSAO, Bloom, and Vsync.

So far I GUESS it's PLAYABLE. I'm just severely disappointed with the performance issues for a game that caters to Nvidia users.

Also an interesting thing I found was that the game actually had very few problems before they patched it as the Enhanced Edition.

Ah man you are turning off the wrong settings :S :S.. Keep the SSAO and Bloom they make the game beautiful. You need to get the witcher tweaker tool from that other thread and then take off things like cutscene depth of field or cutscene cinematic DOF. The detailed tweaks is what will allow you to run this game at its optimum = Looks amazing, Plays smooooth.

If you want help jus install witcher tweaker, open it and take a screenshot of whatthe options are and ill tell you the best settings :)

kuudou
10-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Ah man you are turning off the wrong settings :S :S.. Keep the SSAO and Bloom they make the game beautiful. You need to get the witcher tweaker tool from that other thread and then take off things like cutscene depth of field or cutscene cinematic DOF. The detailed tweaks is what will allow you to run this game at its optimum = Looks amazing, Plays smooooth.

If you want help jus install witcher tweaker, open it and take a screenshot of whatthe options are and ill tell you the best settings :)

Ok.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/Jcub/Untitled-2.jpg

You might have to right-click the attached image and click "Open Image in New Tab" to blow it up. It shows small in my browser.

mrwolf
10-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Nice.. well looking at that i see you have set it up nicely :)

Just take off Anti-aliasing and turn on bloom and shafts.
Decals can go up a bit and shadowed lights can go 0 or 1

But yea with these settings how does it run?? If u need the extra horsepower overclock.. Thats what i did and finnished the whole game like that :))

kuudou
10-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Nice.. well looking at that i see you have set it up nicely :)

Just take off Anti-aliasing and turn on bloom and shafts.
Decals can go up a bit and shadowed lights can go 0 or 1

But yea with these settings how does it run?? If u need the extra horsepower overclock.. Thats what i did and finnished the whole game like that :))

To be honest I don't see a noticeable increase in performance, although keeping AA off doesn't seem to impact how nice the game looks, which is pretty great.

But the framerates are still kind of jerky, like it skips a little. Still not sure what fixes that.

mrwolf
10-03-2012, 09:15 PM
skips? jerky? Do you have an on screen display app that allows you to view your frame rate in game ??

If you do you will be able to see your fps GPU usage and many more useful information that will allow you to fix this kind of issue..
With those settings you should be able to maintain 30+ fps which will take out any jerkyness so you should check..

Also the only reason i was able to stay stable above 30fps was when i overclocked my GPU to 720/1650 so you could also try that if your willing to OC..