PDA

View Full Version : Excessive screen tearing in World of Warcraft normal on a G75VW?

joyfulPo
10-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Excessive screen tearing in World of Warcraft normal on a G75VW?
Just asking because my friend that has a different laptop says that when he plays, he has no excessive screen tearing when the Vertical Sync is OFF.

I have to keep mine ON to avoid the excessive screen tearing with 14GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M, I mean.. Umpf, is that normal or? :(

Cus when VS is on, I have to turn down settings to Medium.

mrwolf
10-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Screen tearing occurs when your in game fps goes over your refresh rate (eg. 60hz or 120hz)

The reason your friend does not get screen tearing with v-sync off is because his computer is **** lol.. Yours is not. And world of war craft graphics are also pretty ****.. So because of this your fps must sky rocket up to like 100 or something and because your refresh rate is around 60hz it will cause exxesive screen tearing.. :) Understand? So this means ur G75 is good and turn v-sync to adaptive its way better.. Also put ur refresh rate to 120 if you have 3d screen ;) Enjoy

joyfulPo
10-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Screen tearing occurs when your in game fps goes over your refresh rate (eg. 60hz or 120hz)

The reason your friend does not get screen tearing with v-sync off is because his computer is **** lol.. Yours is not. And world of war craft graphics are also pretty ****.. So because of this your fps must sky rocket up to like 100 or something and because your refresh rate is around 60hz it will cause exxesive screen tearing.. :) Understand? So this means ur G75 is good and turn v-sync to adaptive its way better.. Also put ur refresh rate to 120 if you have 3d screen ;) Enjoy
I'm sure his computer isn't so bad. It's quite new.

But I understand what you are saying, I think. But World of Warcraft is not so bad because it's not possible to play in the new content Pandaria with High Settings + Vertical Sync on without dropping from 60 fps down to 30 (struggle) feel a bit laggish some points oftenly.

But there is a setting to set a maximum framerate in WoW, maybe I'll check that out, with Vertical Sync off. To test.
Thanks for quick reply!

cl-scott
10-02-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm sure his computer isn't so bad. It's quite new.

But I understand what you are saying, I think. But World of Warcraft is not so bad because it's not possible to play in the new content Pandaria with High Settings + Vertical Sync on without dropping from 60 fps down to 30 (struggle) feel a bit laggish some points oftenly.

But there is a setting to set a maximum framerate in WoW, maybe I'll check that out, with Vertical Sync off. To test.
Thanks for quick reply!

That's why he said to use the adaptive v-sync setting in the nVidia control panel. As the name suggests, it's a bit more flexible than the old on/off setting, and while my experiences are that you may still occasionally see a little tearing, it won't lock your framerates to the refresh.

mrwolf
10-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Ah i see.. If you want additional performance while v-sync is on you should go into Nvidia Control panel and turn Triple buffering ON. This will add a third buffer when switching frames and should bring back some fpss :) try that.. Also Turn Adaptive V-sync ON and turn the in game v-sync setting OFF.

Daylife
10-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I get some ANNOYING lines when watching video on fullscreen........ Netflix, Youtube etc...But **** its annoying as hell.

joyfulPo
10-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Ah i see.. If you want additional performance while v-sync is on you should go into Nvidia Control panel and turn Triple buffering ON. This will add a third buffer when switching frames and should bring back some fpss :) try that.. Also Turn Adaptive V-sync ON and turn the in game v-sync setting OFF.
So I turned off Vertical Sync in-game.
Turned on Adaptive V-sync in NVIDIA settings.

So this is better? I mean what is the difference between Adaptive and On in V-Sync in NVIDIA settings?

Fanty
10-03-2012, 02:43 PM
I mean what is the difference between Adaptive and On in V-Sync in NVIDIA settings?

Its like this:
No VSync = smooth if FPS is below screen refresh rate (60 or 120 for example), tearing if higher than the refresh rate.

VSync = no tearing, because the FPS cant go higher than the refresh rate. But if the FPS is lower than the refresh rate, the movement does stutter, wich can be solved by tripple buffering, but that again increases input lag.

Adaptive VSync = VSync is active as long as the FPS is higher or equal to the screen refresh rate and is switched off when the FPS is lower than the screen refresh rate.

mrwolf
10-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Yea exactly. I do have one question tho.. would I get increased input lag if my vsync is on adaptive and triple buffering is on?? Or shud I keep TB off??

bignazpwns
10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
running 8.17.12.9697 everything maxed vsync off and a 1,300mhz clock on the core in wow i have no tearing what so ever.

What drivers are you using? We all know wow is made like crap but using the drivers i had listed i never had any issues.

ngek202
10-03-2012, 06:29 PM
I always turn on V-Sync On to maintain FPS :D

Shawnnepc
10-05-2012, 03:28 PM
BTW: The adaptive v-sync (driver side) has been broken for awhile now.

You can try the following work around (May cause excessive drops in FPS on TRUE Kepler GPUs, use at your own risk)

Download and install RivaTuner : http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

(we only need a TOOL that comes with Riva)

Keep whatever default options exist.

After the software is installed look in your program files under RivaTuner for D3DOveridder

Click 'Start with Windows'

Make sure Application Detection is set to 'High'

Force both triple buffering and vsync.

When you start your game you should hear a sound, this is telling you that D3DO has hooked into the program and has overidden it's defaults.