PDA

View Full Version : G55vw poor HDMI quality on LCD (Samsung and LG)

ShayDD
10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Hello everyone.
This is my first laptop ever. I waited a while to buy a really good one. I had the problem with the spikes that I saw thread about it before some weeks ago.
Now I manage to find another Issue (Don't get me wrong I LOVE this laptop).
When I connect HDMI cable (tried 2) to the HDMI OUTPUT I get poor HDMI quality on my desktop and on videos (movies, youtube, etc..) - even games!
Screen looks poor, and the texts are blury.
I've tried to play a lil bit with nvidia control panel, without success. even tried to change resolution, still got the same results.
I checked over google and I saw I'm not the only one who has it with any laptop, But I couldn't find any solution for this problem.
I really want to see HD - 1080p movies I have on this laptop on my LCD. without VGA cable that I got.
Thanks i advance for anyone who will help! Shay.

bignazpwns
10-02-2012, 10:35 PM
To use on a tv your going to need to set up the res. And perhaps adjust the under or overscan. Also for the text click start then eter cleartype into the search. and click adjust cleartype text Go through that and it will improve the text.

ShayDD
10-08-2012, 07:34 AM
I didn't understand what I need to do to make it work.
I get a perfect picture with VGA, its only the HDMI that has poor quality.

ShayDD
10-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Everybody here get a clean picture when they connect the Laptop's to HDMI LCD?
Please answer, It's driving me nuts! can't see movies on big screen =\

ShayDD
10-11-2012, 07:33 PM
I guess no one wants to reply..! :\

xeromist
10-11-2012, 08:11 PM
The trick to getting a clear picture is to set it to your TV's _native_ resolution. TVs support many resolutions but an LCD, plasma, DLP, all have a specific native resolution with which they don't need to do any scaling. What model of TV do you have? Have you tried looking in the manual for information on the available resolutions? Which resolutions and refresh rates are you trying?

Also there could be some pre-processing functions built into the TV which might help with cable TV but would be bad for a PC.

ShayDD
10-11-2012, 08:16 PM
The trick to getting a clear picture is to set it to your TV's _native_ resolution. TVs support many resolutions but an LCD, plasma, DLP, all have a specific native resolution with which they don't need to do any scaling. What model of TV do you have? Have you tried looking in the manual for information on the available resolutions? Which resolutions and refresh rates are you trying?

Also there could be some pre-processing functions built into the TV which might help with cable TV but would be bad for a PC.

First, thanks for a reply!
Second, I tried all the resolutions I can change. same picture on all of them. I just want to remind you that, with the same TV I get PERFECT image with VGA cable on any resolution. so how come its so much different with HDMI cable?

cl-scott
10-11-2012, 09:08 PM
First, thanks for a reply!
Second, I tried all the resolutions I can change. same picture on all of them. I just want to remind you that, with the same TV I get PERFECT image with VGA cable on any resolution. so how come its so much different with HDMI cable?

Some (maybe most) TVs will have different settings for a VGA input which is generally going to be assumed to be a computer, vs HDMI which is more apt to be say a DVD player. My guess is this is what xeromist was getting at. Based on the input, the TV makers may have made different assumptions based on the input being used.

xeromist
10-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Could be the way the TV handles digital inputs vs analog. Some TVs have different display and processing modes for digital. It might be something as simple as changing the stretch mode. You might also need to choose a resolution that is not listed which is why I was asking what you've tried. Let's ask this, what is the highest (most pixels) resolution that you have tried and what was the refresh rate? Also what is the model of your TV?

dstrakele
10-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Check out this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267972-33-1080-hdmi-hdmi-connected-quality. The last 15-20 posts will give you some things to try that resolved this issue for others.

@xeromist is on target with his idea that the issue is due to how Samsung and LG handle the digital signal from the laptop.

ShayDD
10-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all the help ! I really appreciate it!
When I said I tried all the resolutions I ment, I tryed them all with 40 hz, 60 hz, 70 hz and even 75 hz. nothing works.
I tryed with the highest resolution 1920 x 1080.
and still nothing. same poor picture quality.

xeromist
10-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Take a look at the link in the last post and see if that helps. I'm thinking that there is something up with the TV but without knowing anything about the TV I'm not sure what to tell you.

rob350
10-12-2012, 12:41 AM
I think I know what your talking about, had tried using HDMI to connect my G75 to my 22" LCD samsung monitor. It looked like ****.
Colors were off, fuzzy, etc.
I assumed it was because the monitor would not go up to the 1920x1080 resolution that the laptop loves (was an older monitor).

Bought a ASUS monitor (happened to be what I wanted at the right price) and problem solved, looks beautiful.

I guess im of no real help, but yes I have seen the issue your talking about its not just you.

dstrakele
10-12-2012, 02:47 AM
The following are resolutions posted by users experiencing EXACTLY the same issue you report on Samsung and LG HDTV's from the thread I referenced in my previous post.

For Samsung :

"After hours and playing around with ATI/TV settings, I've solved this problem, using a HDMI>HDMI lead from ATI card to Samsung TV.

The manual states that if you plug a PC into the TV, you MUST use HDMI/DVI slot 3. So i did this. I then reset all my ATI card settings to default, which detects a 1920 x 1080 60hz TV I then went to the TV settings and changed the name of HDMI/DVI 3 to "PC" from "---"

Thats it, after hours of fiddling.. sorted!"

After the Samsung HDMI input is properly configured, you may need to go into NVIDIA Control Panel and set overscan to zero to eliminate the black border and make the text appear clear.

For LG:

" The determinant factor was the ability pass-thru your signal - on a LG TV this is set in the Picture Aspect Ratio, which implicitly we set to 16:9. However, this still scales the picture and give you fuzzy unclear text. It oversamples the picture.

If you are using a PC, use "Scan Thru" "Pass Thru" setting on the TV. This will not up/down convert the incoming HDMI signal.

The Sharpeness control is critical for clarity of text. You'll see bleeding of text and over saturation of text and mouse cursor. As suggested, turn down Sharpness to meet your clarity needs."

ShayDD
10-12-2012, 02:45 PM
I tried everything mention here. It got the picture abit better, but nothing like the VGA cable. the quality with it, is just amazing.
btw, no one here tried to connect his g55 or g75 to lcd with hdmi cable?

xeromist
10-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Don't own one. :(

dstrakele
10-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I have a G74SX and tried both VGA and HDMI to my VISIO TV. The video and text is magnificent on both connections. I recommend you call Samsung Technical Support and have them walk you through a resolution.