PDA

View Full Version : fast boot

Bryan123
10-03-2012, 04:10 PM
how can i make the my g75 make its boot faster than 37-45 seconds without using ssd? in kseries laptop they have a fast boot app how about the gseries?

cl-scott
10-03-2012, 04:38 PM
You can increase the amount of RAM in your system, and reduce the number of programs that run at startup, but those will only have a minor effect. You're basically hitting the limits of the hardware, or more specifically, the HDD and SATA bus.

bignazpwns
10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Go here http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/NP700Z3A-S01US#

Install launch program pick samsung fast boot and enjoy.

Bryan123
10-07-2012, 01:41 PM
what program is that?

bignazpwns
10-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Samsung easy settings. Gives you the samsung fast boot options that work well on the g75 as well as some other things in the program.

GottiBoi55
10-07-2012, 11:46 PM
how can i make the my g75 make its boot faster than 37-45 seconds without using ssd? in kseries laptop they have a fast boot app how about the gseries?

well first thing, a boot time of 37-45 seconds is about normal for the G75 with HDD.
you can shave off a few seconds by turning off, or delay start some startup items in system configuration, or services.

But if you really want a fast boot time you will need to upgrade to a SSD, you can shave 20-25 seconds off boot that 37 second time.

bignazpwns
10-08-2012, 12:27 AM
well first thing, a boot time of 37-45 seconds is about normal for the G75 with HDD.
you can shave off a few seconds by turning off, or delay start some startup items in system configuration, or services.

But if you really want a fast boot time you will need to upgrade to a SSD, you can shave 20-25 seconds off boot that 37 second time.

Yeah the G75 is a slow booter even with a SSD. I know my samsung chronus 7 booted faster then most G75's with SSD's with a little 5,400rpm drive "But it did have a 8gb cache drive" But useing the fast boot optio on that made a pretty nice improvement then if it was turned off and i would really like to see how it helps the boot times on a stock G75. I would do it but i have no mechanical drvies here.

AzraelsKiss
10-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Go here http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/NP700Z3A-S01US#

Install launch program pick samsung fast boot and enjoy.

I didn't see any improvement using this. In fact, it seemed to take longer to boot. Maybe it was just me or something, but I chose to uninstall it.

GottiBoi55
10-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Yeah the G75 is a slow booter even with a SSD. I know my samsung chronus 7 booted faster then most G75's with SSD's with a little 5,400rpm drive "But it did have a 8gb cache drive" But useing the fast boot optio on that made a pretty nice improvement then if it was turned off and i would really like to see how it helps the boot times on a stock G75. I would do it but i have no mechanical drvies here.

I get 15-17 seconds cold boot to desktop with SSD on my G75vw, that's not a "slow Booter" .
boot times of 37-45 seconds are good with HDD.
Most g75 come with 7500rpm drive or a Hybrid drive, for the exception of the "best Buy" model that comes with a 5400rpm 1 TB drive

BTW, what are your boot times if I may ask?

Apexing
10-08-2012, 02:02 PM
press and hold windows key then press r, type msconfig. under boot check, no start with graphical overlay (or what ever it is in english) should remove a few sec.

AzraelsKiss
10-08-2012, 02:40 PM
msconfig.exe > Boot > No GUI boot

c_man
10-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Am I the only one getting a steady 25s on G75 with the 750Gb SSH?

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, UEFI, + 12 icons in sys tray alone.

45s seems just way too much. Is it your AV or something?

bignazpwns
10-08-2012, 05:39 PM
I get 15-17 seconds cold boot to desktop with SSD on my G75vw, that's not a "slow Booter" .
boot times of 37-45 seconds are good with HDD.
Most g75 come with 7500rpm drive or a Hybrid drive, for the exception of the "best Buy" model that comes with a 5400rpm 1 TB drive

BTW, what are your boot times if I may ask?

Yes it is put it against another system with the same SSD. I did this testing and my Chronus fully booted to the desktop in 8 sec vs my G75's 14. Even running boot racer the samsung stomped it. And the samsung was running a full disk clone off a mechanical drive so im better with a fresh install it could of been in the 7 sec range. And just in case you are thinking it was drive caching with the ssd it was not. The 8gb cash drive on the samsung was disabled.

Not saying the G75 is bad. I'm just saying its a slow booter when you compare it against other systems in the price range with the same drives. I tested this side by side. Its not like a 8 sec diff in boot time really matters i just wont say its a fast booting system i would say its average for systems with SSD's

And also if anyone was thinking RAIDing your SSD's will get your faster boot times it wont. You will add about 1-2 sec on your boot because you have to load the intel RAID crap prior to boot.

GottiBoi55
10-09-2012, 02:24 AM
Yes it is put it against another system with the same SSD. I did this testing and my Chronus fully booted to the desktop in 8 sec vs my G75's 14. Even running boot racer the samsung stomped it. And the samsung was running a full disk clone off a mechanical drive so im better with a fresh install it could of been in the 7 sec range. And just in case you are thinking it was drive caching with the ssd it was not. The 8gb cash drive on the samsung was disabled.

Not saying the G75 is bad. I'm just saying its a slow booter when you compare it against other systems in the price range with the same drives. I tested this side by side. Its not like a 8 sec diff in boot time really matters i just wont say its a fast booting system i would say its average for systems with SSD's

And also if anyone was thinking RAIDing your SSD's will get your faster boot times it wont. You will add about 1-2 sec on your boot because you have to load the intel RAID crap prior to boot.

Hummm!
How do you achieve what most people can't, from my research most get startup times around 25-28 seconds?
that's with the 8GB Express Cache.

bignazpwns
10-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Hummm!
How do you achieve what most people can't, from my research most get startup times around 25-28 seconds?
that's with the 8GB Express Cache.

Its not hard. I seen systems boot faster the mine. Out side of some basic stuff i never did major tweeks to improve my boot time like the guys at microcenter who sit there all day and do boot time races. Heck on a little crappy old intel 40gig ssd i could pull 16 sec boot times unseing boot racer that for some reason on that system always took a few seconds longer then what it should. And that SSD sucked if i remeber it was like 220mb/s read and a 175mbs write and that droped pretty hard ate close to full and after windows and the software it was at about 8gb free.

I'll dig up some screen shots of a pretty much full old crappy X25-V pulling 17 sec boot times all day on a old hdd clone that wasent even optimized for a SSD. But then again when people buy SSD's they look at the reads and writes not the specs that matter like iop's or anything like that

Driver340
06-19-2013, 04:49 PM
My G75VW includes a 256GB SSD factory installed and my boot time is 37 secs, I see a gamers logo flash initially and then a black screen which includes 8 blue dots in top left corner of screen before desktop appears in 37 secs.

I did upgrade to Win8 shortly after I bought this and was very happy with the instant on feature but motherboard died and RMA this 3 times in two weeks during which time they replaced M/B, top left USB card (for 2 top left USB plugs that worked intermittently ) and also had to replace 2 4gb mem cards.

Now I'm nervous about going back to win8 figuring that something else will go soon, meanwhile I'm still trying to resolve the slow bootup time.

driver340