PDA

View Full Version : What graphic settings do you play WoW with?

joyfulPo
10-05-2012, 07:21 AM
I'm just curious cus right now in Pandaria, it's really tearing on my G75VW (I have 14GIG RAM) :confused:

Manzier
10-05-2012, 07:29 AM
I run everything maxed except shadows (high), cluster (high), and SSAO (low).

With everything on ultra (with stock GPU speeds), I'm dipping below 30 fps in Pandaria. I can't have that!

joyfulPo
10-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Triple Buffering: Enabled - Vertical Sync: Enabled

Texture Res: High
View Distance: Good - Environment Detail: High - Ground Clutter: High

Shadow Quality: Good
Liquid Detail: Good
Sunshafts: High
Particle Density: High
SSAO: Disabled

This is the settings I have to have on from the Pandaren starting location to be able to almost always keep FPS at 60.

And very often does Liquid Detail: Good = Slow me down to 30 fps very noticeable near water.

Fanty
10-05-2012, 08:53 AM
That varies.

At the moment I often use this:
Overclock: 720/1650 with MSI Afternburner (this in some cases removes input lag effects where I had them with default clocks. Also it increases FPS roughly like this: 30->35 (60->70)

In driver settings: Texture calculations on "high performance" instead of "quality"
I dont know if this leads to any FPS/input lag improvements at all. I cant however see any difference in the textures.

Without 3D:
General slider to "High"
Antialiasing off
VSync = adaptive (in Driver settings)
Reduce input lag: checked (it helps a little bit against the input lag problem I experience on any laptop I ever had)
Tripple buffering: off (i have enough input lag, cant need more of it. ;)

First thing I do if I realize its not going well in that area is: SSAO low or disabled

When playing 3D: (yes I actualy gave it another try and I think its really nice while questing outside. Forrests, mountains... nice.
In Dungeons it somewhat anoyed me however.

Same as above but with these changes:
SSAO = OFF
Water: medium

That leads to FPS varying between 30-50 in 3D. (note 3D means 50% FPS)
3D settings:
First slider (how far away is the point where both cameras meet on one point. this influces the distance in wich objects poke out of the screen): 55mm to the right
Second slider (how much space is between the 2 cameras): 1cm to the right
general tip for 3D: So more zoomed out you play, so higher 3D settings are acceptable to the eye.

Forgottenbhs
10-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Currently I play with everything on Ultra and SSAO on high. The difference between High and Disabled is about 5 FPS give or take and I never go under 30FPS. I also have AA in the nVidia setting set to enhance the application at 8x CSAA, Triple Buffer enabled and V-Sync set to adaptive.

I do wonder if enabling Ambient Occlusion in the nVidia setting rather than in WoW would make any difference in quality or performance.

bignazpwns
10-05-2012, 04:19 PM
12263These setting DX11 i have yet to drop under 40fps lvling to lvl 90 and running mogu'shan valts 25m as a tank so i'm in the middle of all the spell effects. Card is running at 835 with a 950 boost

Fanty
10-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Currently I play with everything on Ultra and SSAO on high. The difference between High and Disabled is about 5 FPS give or take and I never go under 30FPS.

That depends on the number of objects that SSAO needs to shade. In a forrest scenario with a lot of gras and bushes and all stuff on the ground I get 28FPS with SSAO is "high", like 35FPS with "low" and 48 if "disabled". (and all others settings to "Ultra"). Thats an increadable difference for an effect, wich is barely visible at all.

Those 5 FPS is the difference in Stormwind (City Scenario).

Thats a similiar thing like with "transparence antialiasing", wich doesnt make any FPS difference in the city with 2 or 3 trees but that makes a mashine go down to 5 FPS in a forrest, because all these leaves and grasses in WOW are clip mapping instead of polygons.

Forgottenbhs
10-05-2012, 06:42 PM
That depends on the number of objects that SSAO needs to shade. In a forrest scenario with a lot of gras and bushes and all stuff on the ground I get 28FPS with SSAO is "high", like 35FPS with "low" and 48 if "disabled". (and all others settings to "Ultra"). Thats an increadable difference for an effect, wich is barely visible at all.

Those 5 FPS is the difference in Stormwind (City Scenario).

Thats a similiar thing like with "transparence antialiasing", wich doesnt make any FPS difference in the city with 2 or 3 trees but that makes a mashine go down to 5 FPS in a forrest, because all these leaves and grasses in WOW are clip mapping instead of polygons.

I understand it takes a hit on performance, I just wanted to compared Ambient Occlusion settings in WoW vs the one in the nVidia control panel.

bignazpwns
10-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I understand it takes a hit on performance, I just wanted to compared Ambient Occlusion settings in WoW vs the one in the nVidia control panel.

I dont know how long you played WoW on systems that did not barely run it at mid to high but i will tell you wow runs like crap and you cant really base any results off any settings because when a patch comes out you can take a 10fps hit or gain just from the patch with no changes what so ever. Wow has been like this from the start and it will never get fixed. I remember a time if you tabed out of the gam on the 5th time it would crash you. Only on the 5th time and it did it 100% of the time. When you mix driver settings on diff driver version the results will be very different in wow in terms of the performance hit you take. I seen one driver do a 20fps hit with SSAO maxed and then with another driver it was only 8fps.

Zygomorphic
10-06-2012, 12:41 AM
@bignazpwns, good to know...I'll reference this thread if people ask about their WOW performance. I don't play it, but knowing how finicky graphics drivers can be, I wouldn't doubt that what you say is possible.

Fanty
10-06-2012, 04:21 AM
Well, the engine is possibly crap.

Atm, the official German forum is full of people who claim that they have 15 FPS since the "Mists of Pandaria" expansion and had 60FPS before it.
And these people name hardware that points to brand new desktop computers.

Also, its kind of tradition that people with 2000 Euro Desktop computers and watercooled multiple GPU and whatever claim they cant play WOW smooth, while other guys with 5 year old Laptops claim to play it smooth. Its all kind of strange.

Maybe its problematic that they improve the optic of this engine instead of totaly exchange it with a new one.

HEre the development of WOW grafik:

World of warcraft in 2004 and in 2012:
Yet, allmost all world of warcraft haters claim, WOWs graphic is 8 years old.
http://wowdata.buffed.de/img/pics/wow/petimages/8497.jpghttp://img2.mmo.mmo4arab.com/photo/2012/03/22/wow/wow_model_s46.jpg

ZeroBarrier
10-06-2012, 07:29 AM
I'm no hater, but I've never liked WOW. It looks too cartoon'ish for my tastes.

Zygomorphic
10-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Good to know. It doesn't surprise me that the GFX quality has improved over time.

joyfulPo
10-06-2012, 01:19 PM
12263These setting DX11 i have yet to drop under 40fps lvling to lvl 90 and running mogu'shan valts 25m as a tank so i'm in the middle of all the spell effects. Card is running at 835 with a 950 boost
Don't you get annoyed with the screen tearing without Vsync On? Cus the Adaptive thing doesn't really work.

bignazpwns
10-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Graphics and spell detail greatly improve every xpac. The people who say that it does not re running at 1024X768 and running on all low settings. Fact is wow hits gpu's harder now then a lot of other games that people thing hit the gpu harder.

Really the bread and butter is spell effects. You get in a 25 or 40 main raid and watch the frames drop from the spell effects. You toss out a ton of aoe and it will even tax the fastest of gpu's

Fanty
10-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Don't you get annoyed with the screen tearing without Vsync On? Cus the Adaptive thing doesn't really work.

Maybe try it with the "half" setting.

In the full setting and 120Hz it would mean, if there is less then 120 FPS VSync is OFF and would only be "ON" if its 120 FPS or more.
If one uses the "half" version of the "adaptive" then Vsync would be "ON" until the FPS drops to half of the screen refresh rate. Would mean VSync would switch off at 60 FPS if the screen is 120hz or at 30FPS if the screen is 60Hz.

joyfulPo
10-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Maybe try it with the "half" setting.

In the full setting and 120Hz it would mean, if there is less then 120 FPS VSync is OFF and would only be "ON" if its 120 FPS or more.
If one uses the "half" version of the "adaptive" then Vsync would be "ON" until the FPS drops to half of the screen refresh rate. Would mean VSync would switch off at 60 FPS if the screen is 120hz or at 30FPS if the screen is 60Hz.

But my screen is 60Hz and the frame rate doesn't drop below 30 FPS and it doesn't seem to work when I look at it.
Also, very often I get this big lag\drops when turning around, sometimes the frame rate can be 30.. But if I look down and up again, it's 50ish fps.

bignazpwns
10-06-2012, 03:48 PM
But my screen is 60Hz and the frame rate doesn't drop below 30 FPS and it doesn't seem to work when I look at it.
Also, very often I get this big lag\drops when turning around, sometimes the frame rate can be 30.. But if I look down and up again, it's 50ish fps.

Forget vsync. I never used it ever on every system of mine including my desktop running 2 GTX 690's and never had any problems.

When you move thats typical your frames will drop unless you have a pretty beefy graphic card. Now when you look down and up your fps will be higher because you dont hack much to render then if you were looking at a bunch of people, npc's fire and effects. Kinda like going on a flight path and going over a bunch of trees. Your fps will drop by a decent amount because of all the rendering

Whenever you mix software with games you get problems. WoW is a great example of this. The more software you run the higher chance you have of making it run like crap. I know people who used a-vsync and it ran like crap until they turned it off.

Now how well wow is made. A few times i would run wow on a desktop at 350+ fps full screen 1920X1080. I switch to windowed and its fine. I maximize the window it will instantly drop to 30fps And not a smooth 30fps its a very very very choppy 30fps i make the window smaller bam back upto the 300's

After some patches running a older version of lets say recount. Pre patch 350 fps after 18fps. disable the addon and back to full power.

Over the years of playing this game i found out that the more you try to fix the little problems the more suprise crap you run into when you raiding or the all of a sudden random crashes you will get.

In wow even if its running like crap just be happy its not crashing. Because sooner or latter that little wow report error screen will pop up.

joyfulPo
10-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Bit editing here, uhm. Well without the Vsync it seem choppy at 50-60 fps quite often so, yeah. I mean I see the frames go pass, flip over.

bignazpwns
10-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Bit editing here, uhm. Well without the Vsync it seem choppy at 50-60 fps quite often so, yeah. I mean I see the frames go pass, flip over.

Driver issue. I seen that but switched to another driver and it smoothed it out.

Fanty
10-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Well, if it helps you, then use it.

I can only say the same as Bignaz. Besides of testing it for some hours, I never ever used V-Sync on a regular basis and never missed it.

Hm. the strange thing with your experience is, it shoud be "choppy" with V-Sync ON.
At least thats the theory. Thats also the reason why Nvidia invented the "adaptive VSync": Because normal V-Sync is "choppy" below screen refresh rate.

They have a video about it, but..... to be honestly, the video is choppy all over, with or witout adaptive hehe

Here is Nvidias explanation video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb8bppsG5Jo

joyfulPo
10-08-2012, 07:30 PM
I had 14GIG RAM and GeForce GTX 660M.

Now I have 16GIG RAM and GeForce GTX 670M.

Notice any difference in WoW? HELL YEAH.
I can play with vSync ON with Shadow Effects HIGH without getting lags\FPS drops like I did before :)

It's really worth paying for 670M if that is what did this.. I'm happy with this change.. cus Pandaria took bit more power when you wanted the Special Effects High such as Shadow Effects :)

HulkSmash
10-08-2012, 08:00 PM
I've been playing everything maxed out, including multisampling 8x ,and SSAO on high 1080p no vsync. the lowest I've got has been 28 fps, average 38-45, but on the most graphically intense, averaging between 30-36 fps. I have my GTX 660m OC'd to 1085 on the core, and 350+ on mem, which is not a very high OC. Will try to get core unlocked from 135, and will try out to see the difference. And yes, I've also heard that WOW, is poorly scripted "graphically-wise" and a lot depends whether it is "compatible" to your settings or not. I've seen a desktop with 470 sli do 30 fps on situations I had 38-45...

FailNinja
10-08-2012, 09:10 PM
on my G75VW-BBK5 im rocking WOW on HIGH and never dip below 45fps :D

GrecoISU
10-12-2012, 10:54 AM
I just got my G75 with 12 gigs of ram, 670m w/ 3gb cache and put everything on Ultra and I'm getting 35-50 fps. I kind of hoped I'd be getting a shade better than that. The game is absolutely beautiful though! My legendary staff has colors I never realized!

Just a note, I don't know anything about overclocking so... Anyone know a noobs guide to OC?

HulkSmash
10-12-2012, 02:32 PM
GrecolSU, make a new thread about it, or look for one, if there was one for the GTX 660m, I'm pretty sure there is something on the 670...

Fanty
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
I stopped OC.
I get problems with it.
I used 720/1650
If I play "ULTRA" settings with it, there starts to be black triangles flashing after like 1 hour of gaming. If I continue, the driver crashes or WOW does "not react" and stuff like that. But the maximal temp was never over 75.

Since I get 71 degrees with no OC, I meanwhile wonder if I would run into the same problems if I reach 75 without OC, for example in summer. For my G73, 75 degrees was the normal summer temperature in WOWSometimes it reached 80 and no such problems. :-/

Hmm.
I played with this OC 3-4 hours in a row with settings on "high" and 3D glasses through and had no problems. If I remember right I also changed to FXAA before OC started to cause these problems after 1 hour.

bignazpwns
10-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Been using the 306.97 and they play with wow pretty nice. Stock clocks maxed out i don't go under 42fps. These also handle 25m's a little better. Over all in Vaults this week i got a few extra frames then i did with my old drivers.

GrecoISU
10-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Been using the 306.97 and they play with wow pretty nice. Stock clocks maxed out i don't go under 42fps. These also handle 25m's a little better. Over all in Vaults this week i got a few extra frames then i did with my old drivers.

This post was so over my head... I like to think of my self as a software nerd but not a hardware nerd in terms of knowledge... This is why I'm looking for a decent guide. :)

I'll make a new thread soon about it.

Woots
10-13-2012, 03:50 AM
Also, a side tip for people playing MMO's (especially WoW) they tend to be very "load" heavy.

Therefore, installing them to an SSD will make your life much easier. Especially on 1st launch when custom UI elements are loading in and you're in a big city with lots of people ( large amounts of models/textures are loading up). It dramatically speeds things up and makes everything snapier.

Standing about in open fields with low population won't show any smoothness gains, but any time you get around a lot of people loading into an aera or 1st launch you will appreciate the extra smoothness.

dstrakele
10-13-2012, 04:06 AM
Also, a side tip for people playing MMO's (especially WoW) they tend to be very "load" heavy.

Therefore, installing them to an SSD will make your life much easier.

Or use Steam Mover to temporarily move them to the SSD for game play, but leave them stored on the HDD to save SSD space like @xeromist does....See http://m.lifehacker.com/5626931/steam-mover-relocates-applications-to-free-up-space-on-your-primary-drive.