PDA

View Full Version : Intalling SSD what all do need

lmerchen
10-06-2012, 01:51 AM
I am trying to put a OCZ Vertex into my G74sx and I am wondering what all would I need. I have the SSd but my laptop only came with one hard drive. How do I power the second hard drive. If i need to buy something more let me know please thank you. If this has been answered somewhere else on this site I apologize, I couldn't find it. Any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Myk SilentShadow
10-06-2012, 02:26 AM
If you wish to use your HDD, you will need to buy an external SATA USB case :)

lmerchen
10-06-2012, 11:05 PM
There are 2 drive bays, I would put the SSD in the first one and the regular hard drive in the second. I just don't know what the cable is called that connects the second hard drive to the motherboard or where to find it.

Gorman
10-07-2012, 02:19 PM
If it is a SATA drive then you need a SATA cable. These cost $2 from a computer shop. You will also need a power cable, just ask at the shop and they will give you exactly what you need. You could even take in the drive and show them.

Any computer shop will have these on hand cheap.

lmerchen
10-09-2012, 07:31 PM
unfortunately its not that simple. I'm not sure what kind of cable it is but I have to order it from asus and the hard drive board that goes into the hard drive. :(

PILGRIM
10-10-2012, 03:35 AM
unfortunately its not that simple. I'm not sure what kind of cable it is but I have to order it from asus and the hard drive board that goes into the hard drive. :(

You'll need both of these:
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4438
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4018

Gorman
10-11-2012, 06:13 AM
What the heck kind of cable is that? "Hard drive FFC" such a vague name.

I'm intrigued. My ASUS mobo has SATA slots and I know that Vertexes are SATA, why is it not possible just to use SATA cables? Do you need something special for laptops? How does that even plug in to the SSD or mobo?

lmerchen
10-11-2012, 02:09 PM
thanks Pilgrim, I had to buy the ribbon and http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4662. The board is what connects to your hard drive. The ribbon goes from hard drive board to motherboard in laptop. I hope it all goes together that easily though.

Boosted_R
10-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Pilgrim beat me to it...... SOME G74's came with the cable and caddy... check your box before ordering, my cable was tucked away in the box... BTW its clear some commenting don't own a G74....be careful commenting as it can push someone in the wrong direction lol.

to the OP read this guide, unless you have a lot of experience with SSD:

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

lmerchen
10-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Thank you Boosted_R. I don't have alot or any experience putting in a SSD but thought it couldn't be that difficult. I knew I didnt need to buy and external drive for it though ;). I will use your link to figure out what I still need. I might have to buy that caddy though.:)http://rog.asus.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png

Boosted_R
10-16-2012, 06:30 PM
SSD's isn't difficult, you just need to learn a few things. That guide is pretty useful..........Open the cover under the laptop and see if the extra caddy is already there, mine was already in place.

lmerchen
10-17-2012, 03:12 AM
I am kind of confused on how to set the bios up to boot from usb drive. Could anyone explain it to me. When I go to change my boot order it only gives me the hard drive, and DVD drives as options. I don't know how to add the USB. Thanks for any help.

Boosted_R
10-17-2012, 04:23 AM
The Safer Method to Flash a System BIOS

1. Format a USB drive to FAT32 format.
2. Download the new BIOS and unzip it to the USB drive.
3. Remove USB drive after you're certain the file transfer is complete.
4. Restart your notebook and while the ASUS logo is on the screen press F2 or del a few times to enter the BIOS setup.
5. Find the Easy Flash Utility and insert the USB drive. Tell Easy flash where your BIOS file is then follow directions explicitely!!!
6. When your notebook restarts, enter the BIOS Setup utility again and select "Load Optimized Defaults" (I think it's f9 )
7. Save and Exit, then continue into Windows.

***Credit to JRd1st***

PILGRIM
10-17-2012, 05:11 AM
I am kind of confused on how to set the bios up to boot from usb drive. Could anyone explain it to me. When I go to change my boot order it only gives me the hard drive, and DVD drives as options. I don't know how to add the USB. Thanks for any help.

Do you want to install Windows OS via a USB Drive? If so, you just need to insert the USB drive
to any of the laptop's USB 2.0 ports. Turn on the laptop, and press "esc" button repeatedly just
after the ASUS splash screen appears. By then you'll see the USB drive as one of the boot options.

BIOS doesn't have a USB Drive option. It only has the hard drive and ROM drive options.
But BIOS will recognize it once a drive-configured USB is plugged in.

Myk SilentShadow
10-17-2012, 05:23 AM
Isn't it meant to be F5 to load the Boot menu?

PILGRIM
10-17-2012, 05:40 AM
I think F5 is to choose which Windows OS to activate, which is useful for multiple installed Windows OS.

Myk SilentShadow
10-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Usually that comes up automatically from the Boot-Loader, lol oh well...I may remember one day..unless I try it myself :p

PILGRIM
10-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Yeah.. Well, the OP's query is a little vague, so I was thinking he might want to make a fresh OS install
by using a USB drive. Thus, the "esc" button suggestion..

lmerchen
10-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Yeah thats what I am trying to do is load a clean install from a usb stick and you've explained it Pilgrim. I thought I would see usb or some kind of other selection in the boot part of the bios but I didn't now I know just to have the flash drive attached and I should see it. I think I already have the Caddy in my computer. Thanks again everyone. :)

lmerchen
11-29-2012, 09:27 PM
I have switched the hard drives and put my old hard drive in the second bay as the data drive. I am using the SSD as primary windows 7 drive.
How do I get the programs that are on my secondary drive to show up in the start menu, for example microsoft word. I can move some of the start icons over by haven't found a way to open that one. Frankly none of the programs that were on my old hard drive are showing up in my srart menu and I was just wondering how to get them to show up, Thanks