PDA

View Full Version : Do Win 7 drivers work on Win 8 for G55 ?

ggBanks
10-06-2012, 11:10 AM
I was wondering if the Windows 7 drivers that are available now will work on windows 8 if I decide to install it on my machine?
And if not all of them work, can you please say which ones don't? Thanx!

Myk SilentShadow
10-06-2012, 02:12 PM
There doesn't yet seem to be a definitive answer on which Win7 Drivers do work in Win8, so you have 2 options: Try and install the ones you need and see how you go, or. Wait a few more weeks for Win8 and the Win8 Drivers for your G55 to be released.

ggBanks
10-06-2012, 04:10 PM
The problem is that I have already got my hands on the new OS and my Intel 330 Series SSD is arriving on Tuesday so I am eager to do the upgrade and install ASAP, but if there is no info i guess I will have to find out first hand :)

Still if someone else has tried it, he is more than welcome to share his experience in this thread :)

GottiBoi55
10-06-2012, 11:44 PM
The Asus drivers update site is adding "windows 8" drivers to all there models there.
I imagine more to follow once Win8 is officially launched on Oct 26, or even a few days before.
right now just basic drivers are available, like "touchpad".

dotvezz
10-08-2012, 06:22 AM
I use the beta drivers from nvidia, and Windows 7 drivers for everything else. The only things that don't work are the Power4Gear tool/button (Nobody cares) and the Keyboard part of the ATKACPI package, which only means you don't have all your hotkeys (Can't turn on the backlight on the keyboard)

The wifi drivers gave me a fair bit of trouble, so you may want to consider waiting until an official release unless you're willing to do a little bit of manual driver installation (Nothing TOO bad)

madnj
10-08-2012, 11:28 PM
The latest ATK package on the ASUS site DOES work, just not the one that's linked with the G75 on the support site. I think I did an ATK search on the support site and just grabbed a later version which works great.

Don't install the Atheros drivers or you'll get bluescreens until you do a system restore. Other than that, bluetooth driver package doesn't work (but windows has native bluetooth support).

Everything else works pretty much perfectly. Not a single crash/bluescreen.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to simply use the ASUS driver site as a reference, and grab the latest and greatest drivers for the matching package from each manufacturer with the exception of the couple of items I mentioned. If you do that, you'll have a happily running Windows 8 system that's rock solid and performs well.

Also, I recommend taking advantage of UEFI boot/partitioning for the new drive. If you boot the install disc for Windows with the drive set to UEFI mode in the BIOS, Windows will create I believe 3 hidden partitions instead of the 1 for MBR mode.

I'm running a Seagate Momentus XT system drive (750GB with SSD cache) and my boot/reboot time is ridiculously fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface