PDA

View Full Version : G75 LAG with GW2 AND GTA IV

crut7912
10-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Hello all,

i JUST BOUGHT an asus g75 from best buy after cancelling my alienware mx14 r2 order. It seems great and all but after loading guild wars 2 and gta IV on to it, the gameplay is very choppy and lags. The FPS is very inconsistent. It will be 30-40...jump even higher then crash to 2-7 fps. Now, i did update the drivers for the nvidia gtx 660m. The antivirus i use is microsoft security essentials. The specs on this machine should easily support the gameplay for both of these.

Side note: Yesterday it lagged heavily and i simply couldnt play the games. The day before that, i was able to play both of them, on highest settings with no problem.

Any insight on what the issue is? Should i go into BIOS and disable the internal gpu if it isnt already?

AzraelsKiss
10-07-2012, 11:09 AM
I fixed the choppiness in GTA IV by installing the latest update of the game itself. I read in forums for other systems with nVidia cards (and a few ATI cards as well) that were having choppiness in various games and read numerous reports of the issues being fixed in the latest updates of the games. Sure enough, once I got the latest update, GTA IV played smooth and pretty.

WarhNeeks
10-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Are you playing with you laptop plugged in? What you described is what happens when you play with the battery...

crut7912
10-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Yes that was using the battery. Aaaaannnnddd when it played it fine it was plugged in.... sigh

Ok why is that.....does the battery deliver inconsistent power to the gpu?

john_from_ohio
10-07-2012, 05:38 PM

Designed to work best when plugged in ... is the short answer.

Forgottenbhs
10-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Yes that was using the battery. Aaaaannnnddd when it played it fine it was plugged in.... sigh

No battery will give you more than 45 minutes when running an intensive 3D application. Also your power settings for the laptop when it's unplugged tend to keep the GPU and CPU cores underclocked to keep the battery from draining too fast.

bignazpwns
10-07-2012, 06:19 PM

No system with a descent cpu and cpu will play at full power off the batt. unless you got one wicked battery "Toshibia 12 cell monsters im looking at you."

With the G75 the only way to play when on the battery without the massive lag spikes is to down clock the card to around 450-500mhz

crut7912
10-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks guys. Plugged it in and it runs flawlessly. I'm such a noob.