PDA

View Full Version : Can you update the video card of G75VW

bubblegunz
10-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering. My ASUS g75 is with Nvidia GTX670M 3 gb... if I want after 2-3 years to get a new card, for example the new NVIDIA GTX that comes out, will I by able to change it without accessing the motherboard. What that means is, changing it, just by opening the back lid and changing the actual video card. I would really appreciate an answer, it'd be great. Since in 2-3 years new games will require better video characteristics this is crucial. I bought this laptop, because it is great quality, but I know that the g74x could be hardware updated, can the video card on G75 be updated. Please answer :D

dotvezz
10-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Short answer: No

Long answer: Probably not.

VERY long answer: Well, it's difficult. While (anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but provide proof too) the G75 does use a variation of the MXM slot for graphics cards, it's not the standard version, and the cards that ASUS makes for their laptops are a different shape than the "standard" (There really isn't much of a standard, to be honest, since I think only Alienware and Sager use it). Therefore, it's technically possible to change it - but very hard, or impossible, to find a replacement that will fit.

bubblegunz
10-08-2012, 09:10 AM
http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/articles/introducing-the-geforce-gtx-680m-mobile-gpu/

so, this, will not work on my laptop!!??
:( I wanted to be able to upgrade it so mutch :(

mrwolf
10-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Is there no way to get a mobile gpu from Asus for upgrading?? Marshal?? Help us out here?

Would be amaaazing to put the new gtx 670MX in my g75 :D

bubblegunz
10-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I am with the GTX670M and it is good. But... there is actually a way. I made some research. You need to go to the Asus provider of your country, and see if they are open to upgrade your device. A friend told me, he had a broken video card on his, and they upgraded his GTX 650 to a brand new GTX 670M, he just needed to pay for the new video card and there was no problem :). I think this might help, it is great, but I don't know about other countries. :)

c_man
10-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Hm. How would a system built for 650M manage a 670M?

And I know no G55/G75 with 650M in it.

bubblegunz
10-08-2012, 11:52 AM
sorry, GTX660m is probs the card, he has an Asus, G-series but I dunno if it is G75 or G74, my bad. As far as I know, they also tweek your cooling system a bit, so that U dont burn out in the middle of gaming :). That is part of why you will probs pay extra. I am still reasearching on it, when I know more, I will post. But I guess if you have a G74 with the old GTX 650, it can be upgraded too, since they should be upgrading your vent system as well. You just will have to wait a few days to a week. That is what I know so far... :)

mrwolf
10-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks, please do find out more tho if you can. Im really looking forward for the new 670MX :) :)

_
10-08-2012, 02:02 PM
If you got an ASUS GTX670MX for a G75VW, then it will likely work, yes. Same chassis. But how you can get a hold of an ASUS GTX670MX I wouldn't know.

If you want to upgrade beyond that - different models, chassis. No. Even if you could remove it the PCBs are a custom shape and the power delivery is very specific. As a rule of thumb for the industry it's an impossibility to upgrade any GPU from any manufacturer. The chassis shapes are designed first, then the insides and cooling are made to fit.

Beyond hard drive and memory, never buy any notebook with the anticipation of upgrading tbh.

Woots
10-08-2012, 02:50 PM
It's easy to have regrets with technology gentlemen. Just try to keep it in perspective. You likely bought this laptop when you did because you "needed" it. Thunderbolt we knew about for a whole and if it was important to you then you likely would not have bought this laptop. The other upgrades in this new model to not warrant getting remorseful about.

If we were all starting from this point now it would be the clear choice (depending on its price). However, I think our current G75 is still a great machine.

bignazpwns
10-08-2012, 05:20 PM
If you got an ASUS GTX670MX for a G75VW, then it will likely work, yes. Same chassis. But how you can get a hold of an ASUS GTX670MX I wouldn't know.

If you want to upgrade beyond that - different models, chassis. No. Even if you could remove it the PCBs are a custom shape and the power delivery is very specific. As a rule of thumb for the industry it's an impossibility to upgrade any GPU from any manufacturer. The chassis shapes are designed first, then the insides and cooling are made to fit.

Beyond hard drive and memory, never buy any notebook with the anticipation of upgrading tbh.

The Asus GTX 670MX does fit i tested this however it does require the GTX 670MX heatsink.

In terms of pricing for the GTX 670mx its going to be any ware from $450-$600 if you can find one then another $80 for the heatsink so your looking at about a $600+ upgrade and for the price of the G75 and the GTX 670mx upgrade you can get into some of the lower systems with GTX 680m's that are still faster.

Shawnnepc
10-08-2012, 05:43 PM
The Asus GTX 670MX does fit i tested this however it does require the GTX 670MX heatsink.

In terms of pricing for the GTX 670mx its going to be any ware from $450-$600 if you can find one then another $80 for the heatsink so your looking at about a $600+ upgrade and for the price of the G75 and the GTX 670mx upgrade you can get into some of the lower systems with GTX 680m's that are still faster.

Did they BIOS lock that card?

bignazpwns
10-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Yup just like every other Kepler. I can overclock it pretty easy to match the stock GTX 680m but thats pretty much just playing catch up the GTX 680m My GTX 680m clocks a little higher then the GTX 675mx i got and when that's overclock its just running stronger clock for clock "Der look at the specs" But the GTX 670mx slams the GTX 670m to the ground and at 1,100 on the core the card is pretty fast. I really wanna see how the GTX 670mx's are in SLI.

Now in terms of a max clock im still working on that. Im at 1,250 on the core temps are good but running into some stability issues. I gotta plug in the kill a watt and see how much power im sucking because i think when overclocked the psu is straining and if that's the case i'll order another one and wire up two and see if i can get more headroom on the clocks. I will say it does run a little warmer then the GTX 660m. That things a ice cube at 1,350 im loading at 72c and at 1,100 on the GTX 670mx i'm hitting about 89c. Could be my GTX 660m is awesome and the GTX 670mx i got is one of the hotter running ones but i will say the card does not disappoint.

mrwolf
10-08-2012, 06:36 PM
What? So if im understanding this correctly, you have already fitted the gtx 670MX in your G75vw ????

noneone
10-08-2012, 10:17 PM

I respectively disagree. HD, memory are standard componets, and MOST manufacters have made it easy to upgrade these. Mobile GPU are also becoming standard, and manufactuers (NOT ASUS, apparently) are making it easier to buy and upgrade video cards. Both alienware and Clevo based machines can generally upgrade their video cards, sometimes subject to power requirement issues.

Those manufactuers really are selling a lot of machines, and the video cards are standard enough it should be pretty easy to make replaceable like a HD or ram.

Yes, in general a tradeoff with laptops is limited upgradeability, however, plenty of laptops are easily available with upgradeable video cards.

Given the performance difference between the 660m , 670m and the 670MX or 675MX, it seems Asus could / can make a lot of money selling upgraded video cards for current owners.

mrwolf
10-08-2012, 11:18 PM
I agree. Asus should consider upgrade plans. More profitable and much better for us :cool:

bubblegunz
10-09-2012, 05:30 AM
:@, I was going to buy an alienware, but I wanted to try out Asus. In my country an alienware laptop costs 5k dollars, but I could have ordered it. Anyway, i like ASUS products a lot so I bought this, and now with the constantly changing and improving games in 1-2 years I will need a new laptop. This 1 costs 2.5k bucks, so if I buy I new 1, the money for the alienware are evened out, even if I buy it from a shop, instead of ordering from DELL, which is a lot cheaper. OFC. the new video card for the AW will cost about 300-500 bucks, but I will need new software every 2 years if I have to change my laptop, and installing new drivers and all that ****... CMON ASUS, start selling video cards with which we can upgrade our systems. For sure it will be very profitable, because I LOVE the laptop, and for sure a lot of others do... but if I knew about this issue, I would have gone with an Alienware.. Not because this is a lower-quality product, just because I cannot upgrade the video card, which is the only thing I want to upgrade anyway. :(

bignazpwns
10-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Why would they want to profit off selling a GPU when they can make more off selling a whole new system? This is one of the founding rules on what using proprietary stuff was made with in mind.

Ok for everyone who wants GPU upgrades keep in mind that other systems that you can are much easyer to do so.

So if we wanna upgrade the gpu to say a GTX 670mx. Hop on ebay find one for about $600 "They wont be cheap and expect to pay around this much" Then we need the heatsink so about $40-50 for that. Now we need to install this. That means taking the whole system apart. And by the whole system i mean every part because you have to pull the motherboard out to get to the gpu. I can do this in about 30 but i done this a few times. So well say about 1.5 hours of work. Now for something like this a upgrade ship will charge around $200 for the full install. Thats a total of around $840. Add that to the $1,250 for the system and your at $2,090 for the system with upgrade. For that price you can pick your self up a Sager with a GTX 680m 4gb and a i7 3740qm.

As you can see the whole upgrade route is the worse way you can spend your money. Its better to sell your system and buy a new one. The only time upgrading a laptop gpu is if you can do it your self and find a deal on the gpu. GTX 680m's run from $700-$1,000. I payed $920 shipped for my GTX 680m to run SLI.

Asus will never offer a server to upgrade the gpu in the G series unless they redo the whole system to make changing them more stream line. They want to make money not lose money and they wont be making money with how much work has to go into a system to upgrade a gpu in them. I mean i dont know if anyone has taken one apart but the amount of screws in the system is outrageous.

My advice. Take that $800 you were going to spend on the GPu. And sell your current G75 i mean heck i seen some G73's sell for $900. Sell it for $900-$1000. You now have about $1800 and can buy one with a GTX 675mx or your pretty close to it. If anyone wants to do the upgrade more power to you if you need help i'll help you. If you in michigan i'll even do it for ya just buy a pizza or something.

cl-scott
10-09-2012, 07:47 PM
I agree. Asus should consider upgrade plans. More profitable and much better for us :cool:

I actually mentioned that there seems to be a fair number of people here who would be interested in upgrading the video on their ROG notebooks, and maybe something could be offered via the eStore. Basically, there's just too many potential headaches on our end. Even if they were all sold with a very clear notice that you are effectively voiding your warranty and basically you break it, you buy it... It wouldn't stop people from still trying to submit RMA claims when they screw something up. Then we can't figure it out until the unit actually gets to a repair center, at which point we're out the cost of shipping at a minimum, not to mention the time it takes away from some technician who has to deal with that rather than fix someone else's unit.

And that's really just the beginning. So, while we might make a little money on the one end, it'd just immediately go back out on the other end and take a few of its friends with it.

c_man
10-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Yes, it's not exactly plug&play.

bignazpwns
10-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Yes, it's not exactly plug&play.

It is. Its just not easy. You have a lot of easy to break stuff you can break. I seen people rip the G75 apart no problem take the gpu out and repaste it and put it all back together and not have any probelms outside getting the ribbon cables in if they were left handed. But this can be about a 2 hour process that involves more screws then you can think of. I can make a full GPU upgrade guide if people really want it but honestly if people need a guide to do it they have no bisness going that deep into their system as its way above their skill level.

bubblegunz
10-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Ok, so, I have another question. Is the 675M so mutch better? My Laptop is brand new, but tbh my last system was 12 years old and working like brand new, so I lost track of the new video cards and stuff. The thing is, my games worked at Good video qualty without a problem on my last PC. I needed a change though and I bought this laptop. Another thing, that made me buy this G75 is because the NVIDIA is 3gb, not 2gb, as in most of the other laptops. This was a huge deal 11 years ago, but I had no idea about today... so I am asking you, will my new games be playable in ULTRA setting on this card. I am also into graphic design (I design websites and logos) so I guess it will work for that, but I also work with Adobe After Effects, and Sony Vegas, for video editing. I want to know will this card do the job fine. And is there such a HUGE difference between this and the GTX675m. I am kind of old-school about these things, so help will be good. People say the 675m is over 30% better then the 670m, which is A LOT in terms of percentage, but what does that trully mean? ANd is it so? In game will there be such a huge difference, or will the same games run almost the same if not exactly the same on both. Especially if the GTX675 is 2gb and the 670 is 3gb. If someone could answer it be great. I am good with software, but hardware is just not my thing, any help will be appreciated. Also if someone can tell me in about how long will this card be outdated and be useless. By useless I mean that I wount be able to play at maxed-out settings in games, or at least at Very Good settings. Any help will be appreciated.

bubblegunz
10-10-2012, 06:20 AM
I actually mentioned that there seems to be a fair number of people here who would be interested in upgrading the video on their ROG notebooks, and maybe something could be offered via the eStore. Basically, there's just too many potential headaches on our end. Even if they were all sold with a very clear notice that you are effectively voiding your warranty and basically you break it, you buy it... It wouldn't stop people from still trying to submit RMA claims when they screw something up. Then we can't figure it out until the unit actually gets to a repair center, at which point we're out the cost of shipping at a minimum, not to mention the time it takes away from some technician who has to deal with that rather than fix someone else's unit.

And that's really just the beginning. So, while we might make a little money on the one end, it'd just immediately go back out on the other end and take a few of its friends with it.

Ok, why not make it like that. You need to give your laptop to ASUS center in your country. You pay a certain price for the service. And updates that way could be done only in ASUS centers and we cannot buy the video cards, but we can give our laptops for updates... can't this be done? That way, people wount mess up their systems and claim them for repair, and you still get your profit, without a lot if any losses?

maoli
10-10-2012, 12:07 PM
This was on my wishlist in another thread, but I thought I'd ask here too:)

How about a thunderbolt eGPU?

c_man
10-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Thunderbolt most likely will be there. Do you have a ViDock already? I think minimum 4 would be OK just to keep it on the safe side, even with Kepler. Or other rigs.

eGPUs are an interesting idea to be honest, if you can keep the set-up at a decent size. I've seen some people using these huge rigs, I wonder why not just buy a desktop. It's cheaper and gives a lot more overall performance.

Shawnnepc
10-10-2012, 01:49 PM

Gee, if only there was a program where authorised 3rd parties could make modifications and repairs to customers units on behalf of ASUS.

*cough*

maoli
10-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Thunderbolt most likely will be there. Do you have a ViDock already? I think minimum 4 would be OK just to keep it on the safe side, even with Kepler. Or other rigs.

eGPUs are an interesting idea to be honest, if you can keep the set-up at a decent size. I've seen some people using these huge rigs, I wonder why not just buy a desktop. It's cheaper and gives a lot more overall performance.

I think I need to rephrase my question:) A few months ago MSI (at least I think it was MSI) was asking around if there would be interest in a plug 'n' play eGPU connected via thunderbolt. But I have no idea if it's doable and haven't heard anything since. Could ASUS/ROG make something like this? Or did this idea turn out to be a dead-end?

c_man
10-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Oh, this sounds different :)

Maybe someone from Asus can tell us that.

bubblegunz
10-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I talked with ASUS today, so the video card cannot be updated. They said that the best chance is to update it with GTX670MX, but it has to be ordered from ASUS. To update it to another video card is just too expensive. They said It can be done, but it is almost impossible. And even the GTX670MX will cost almost as mutch as the laptop itself, since the cooling sistem needs to be tweeked and so on. The best chance, they said is, that I should talk to a sailsman of ASUS in my country, and ask, if I could return the laptop after I am finished with it, and just pay less for a new one. Ofcourse, I talked with a technician, not with a salesman, so he didn't know the details. All he was able to tell me was, that it can be done, especially if the laptop is in great condition, and is working like new.

After the G76 comes out, I will actually concider doing this. I actually used a gaming laptop before, from the biggest rival to Asus (probs U know who that is - DELL), but I like the Asus a bit more. It has no "lighting system", but it has other functions which actually help the performance of the actual machine, and it is more streight forward. I will continue using Asus probably after all, it is great and I love it. Cheers guys, I hope I was of help. I will phone an Asus dealer, to know if such an option with the returning is certainly open (although if it is, it might not be in other countries).

cl-scott
10-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Ok, why not make it like that. You need to give your laptop to ASUS center in your country. You pay a certain price for the service. And updates that way could be done only in ASUS centers and we cannot buy the video cards, but we can give our laptops for updates... can't this be done? That way, people wount mess up their systems and claim them for repair, and you still get your profit, without a lot if any losses?

Gee, if only there was a program where authorised 3rd parties could make modifications and repairs to customers units on behalf of ASUS.

*cough*

If it were up to me, that's exactly how it would be done. You could send your laptop in somewhere and they would do a limited number of upgrades. Unfortunately for you guys, it's not up to me. Even that might have a few issues with it however, so who knows.

Darkthor
02-17-2016, 03:23 PM
I know it's kinda late to reply to this thread,but I did it.

Short answer: YES YOU CAN. I DID.

I successfully replaced the gtx670m with the gtx670MX on a G75VW-T1028D.
For those uncertain, it's the version with the gtx 670 M - 3gb GDDR5.

So, simple version: Bought off ebay for 150$ a GTX 670MX from a G75VX, and once home, I hadto do a lot of digging and installing.
For starters, the easy part, taking all the parts off G75VW, as well a GPU.

After putting the g75VX's GTX 670MX gpu, I noticed that the heatpipe clearance was a little off(height wise) , so I had to make do with a thin foin of copper and a double layer of thermal paste , to make sure the gpu had the heatsink correctly installed.
GPU's generally have same size, the new gpu dye is a bit bigger,but it's still covered well by the heatpipe.
So don't worry.

Once that was snug and fine, I had to do the hard part.

Asus blocked the g75vw BIOS from accepting the g75VX's 670 MX graphics card. So I had to do a little digging for a BIOS that would work.
In a sheer moment of luck,I found that N62G75500 BIOS with EC version nr B14E140001 worked.
So, instead of writing the version of BIOS the USB method, I went with my VBIOS to a friend, which had a VBIOS writer , and he put that on my VBIOS.
And...after a few hard restarts, the BIOS bootup worked. (it froze the first time I entered the new BIOS,, but after the first freeze, worked fine i am at 10+ restarts later, the issu didnt return, so...problem solved.)

And I could see the display,and start windows.

The default Windows generic video driver worked, luckily (win 7 64bit), so i installed most of the drivers.
Since the laptop I had had also Killer N Wireless in it, I had to manually install those, as well.
And I faced my second problem:
Nvidia and windows would not recognse my Generic GPU.
Nvidia experience couldnt tell what I had installed,as well.

Problem solved thanks to DriverPack Solution ( google it) which installed for me the 10.18.13.5573 (18.08.2015) version.

I will see how it stays, but in Benchmarks, it's a little higher than the stock G670M.
Heat doesnt pass 55 deg's on GPU generally, and cpu stays comfy at ~58. So no problems there.Prolly in the future will try an OC of the GPU, but for the moment,I am just congradulating myself on this achievement.
I read this thread one year ago,and thought it was impossible.
Guess it's not.

Photos:
NEW GPU: http://imgur.com/YMkkOuv
OLD GPU: http://imgur.com/n2694KL

BIOS PIC: http://imgur.com/YqLMzHb
Inside Windows: http://imgur.com/0ZF2BiE

Still working to see how it's faring, and still installing drivers I've missed from the bloatware the CD had.
Anyway....it's do-able! Checked and confirmed.
MYTH BUSTED.

Darkthor
02-24-2016, 10:39 AM
QUICK UPDATE:

-tested it for about a wek, runs fine.
-GPU doesnt overheat , stable at a max of 68 degrees
-bios runs fine.i can safely say that the G75VX and g75vw motherboard are identical,and it's just a marketing trick to bios-lock em.
-talked around, the integrated INTEL HD gpu isn't even there. Optimus was crap in the g750, so in g751 they removed them again,it seems.
-I had to re-solder my CPU socket in the shop.Good thing the dude had the bright idea to press the cpu on the MB before writing the cpu off as burnt.
CPU was fine,ofc.

-It seems that most g75 boards oxidize over time (2 years of hard usage,in my case) and they tend to...not work.
It was funny as hell since the 2 unused MB's they had in the shop which they offered to replace mine (original ASUS service tech,btw), sealed , bright,shiny and stuff, never used, were also oxidized by not being used.

I fear this is a design issue with the g75's and that ASUS should QC them better. Or not treat 3rd world countries as 3rd world countries and send better components.

-battery is almost dead lasts 20 minutes...welp :(

(NEW project: .....gotta open it up and buy new cells. May even think about modding the battery pack and do an extended battery pack prototype....because..why not? XD )
-ASUS should think of making bigger batt packs like HP does with their extended batteries.

OTHER GPU'S:

Was asked by a few forum users if a way newer video card can be bought and installed. I copy-pasted the same message to both of em.
Gonna post part of the reply, to save time (topic is about a gtx 970m):

"Regarding the upgrade you wrote.....it's dicey.:

You need a few informations:

1.is it as flat as a gtx670? what about size? is it too wide? will it hit something else? is the gpu to short/long/wide?
if it cannot stay flat installed....heatsink wont stay right/has to be modded/bent/etc. Basically you gotta know the sizes and see if it would phisically fit.
EDIT:I looked up other gpu's and they seem too tall,and not wide enough.Tho...who knows....

2.VERY IMPORTANT: is is MXM slot? how many pins? <---cannot stress this enough. If you can't shove it in the motherboard mxm slot..it's all in vain. And MBoards mxm slots cannot be changed so easy.

EDIT2: looked up and saw that they semi-standardised pins for gaming gpu's. Thank the lord for that. Tho,again, it's a test and see scenario,after all.

3. the gtx 670/670mx is at 75 Watts.

The gtx 970, i saw it's at 100.
The PSU for the g75vw is 180watt .
so it's 180+25.... ~210W
You'd need to chop and solder/refit the jack of the asus on this thing:

PA-7E 210W AC Adapter for Dell Precision M6400, Precision M6500 and Alienware M17x

( 9.37amps x 19v.....roughly 9.5ax 19V...can you get a laptop pSU that goes up to 210W ?-basically the more amps you can get, at 19v,the better..... Or will your laptop, if it's buildable, just shutdown when gpu reaches peak? I tried the g75vw on a 120w psu....once ANYthing requiring video juice turned on,it would restart.)

This is a simple problem to fix, but you have to consider it from the start.

4.VBIOS has to accept it. Cannot stress this enough.And you need a VBIOS writer and someone who wrote vbioses before. DO NOT USE USB vbios rewrite. You'll brick it,and get back to needing a vbios writer....so youll waste time.
Only thing is to find a way to write the bios in a way that lets the motherboard actually work. Trial and error.

A Bit harder to solve, but....it's do-able.

5.Driver installation: IF, and only IF you are plain madly lucky to get everything working,and not burning because of heat ( 75w heat vs 100w heat may be too much for the standard gpu heatsink...it's 25% more, tho...) you need to de-brand the drivers for windows.
Saw some people on the forums doing it, so it's do-able. But you gotta dig a little.

-Windows 7 will throw the generically crappy Standard VGA controller on,and it will work. But after that?
You got a lot of testing and stability /burn-ins ahead of you if all fits and you actually get the gpu to work.

My 2 cents? Not sure if worth all the effort. But if you got a dude that knows to do vbioses ,and a spare gtx970 gpu around...why the hell not? try,and tell me if it worked."

Any other questions, I will try to reply.