PDA

View Full Version : Diablo 3 momentary freezing on G55VW

hongooi
10-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Hello all,

Got a G55 notebook this week and it's pretty great. I'm experiencing one glitch, however. When I'm in Diablo 3, I'll often experience short hiccups where the game freezes for a fraction of a second. Then when it unfreezes, it's like it "catches up" to where it should be, with all the action running at double speed for a short while.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've generally got nothing else running except a couple of Chrome tabs, so there shouldn't be anything hogging the CPU. All the power management stuff is set to max performance in Power4Gear.

I've downloaded the latest WHQL drivers from Nvidia, but I don't think it's a video issue: the freezing can happen even when nothing in particular is going on. Frame rates are also usually 60+ even with tons of stuff onscreen, so performance is generally fine -- indeed, the fact that the game can "catch up" by playing the frames super-fast is another pointer to the problem being elsewhere.

I also replaced McAfee with MS Security Essentials, because I suspected that background antivirus scans could be slowing things down and I've never had this problem with MSE. Didn't fix it this time, though.

I installed D3 on the hard disk to save SSD space, could that be an issue? I would think that 12G of memory would be more than enough for caching.

bignazpwns
10-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Is your system plugged in?

hongooi
10-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Yep. 100% charged.

Manzier
10-10-2012, 04:57 AM
Does it happen when you run around and uncover fog of war areas?

hongooi
10-10-2012, 05:02 AM
Sometimes, but it can happen at any time. I've noticed that it happens a lot in the Caverns of Frost and Icefall Caves in act 3.

Manzier
10-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Have you tried the 306.23 drivers? That helped reduce a lot of the stuttering I had. I also put the game on my SSD, which also helped.

All in all, it's an issue with the game. Lots of people with Nvidia drivers are having stuttering issues. Check this link and see if it works for you. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978349974

freefall
10-10-2012, 08:50 AM
I have the same fraction of a second stuttering with my G55 but I thought its from the game. I don't know What could be causing it but I don't play Diablo 3 a lot since I finished it once, it just became boring. I don't have this with other games though so it must be from the game itself.

hongooi
10-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Sometimes, but it can happen at any time. I've noticed that it happens a lot in the Caverns of Frost and Icefall Caves in act 3.

Just double-checked. The stuttering only happens when uncovering the map, or when something happens that causes assets to be loaded or animations played, eg opening a chest, breaking an object, talking to a merchant for the first time, etc. Just running through an already-uncovered area without doing anything else works fine.

hongooi
10-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Have you tried the 306.23 drivers? That helped reduce a lot of the stuttering I had. I also put the game on my SSD, which also helped.

All in all, it's an issue with the game. Lots of people with Nvidia drivers are having stuttering issues. Check this link and see if it works for you. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978349974

Yep, using the 306.23 drivers now. Someone on the Battle.net forums suggested going back to 296.10 so I might try that next. Also disabled the indexing on the disk as per that link, which seemed to help a little bit but didn't fix it entirely.

Manzier
10-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Just double-checked. The stuttering only happens when uncovering the map, or when something happens that causes assets to be loaded or animations played, eg opening a chest, breaking an object, talking to a merchant for the first time, etc. Just running through an already-uncovered area without doing anything else works fine.

Same issue I had then. Invest in an SSD if you can. For me it made the stuttering go away. I know that's not the cheapest solution but it's all I could do to get the stuttering to go away. Hopefully in the new patch Blizzard fixes things but who knows

hongooi
10-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Same issue I had then. Invest in an SSD if you can. For me it made the stuttering go away. I know that's not the cheapest solution but it's all I could do to get the stuttering to go away. Hopefully in the new patch Blizzard fixes things but who knows

Yep, that fixed it, thanks. This G55 came with an SSD, and when I installed D3 to that, the problem went away. Now all I have to deal with are D3's own problems....