PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Asus G75VW

Volco
10-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi

I want to buy a powerful laptop, not for gaming but just a powerful multimedia notebook. I discovered the G75 and it is quite impressive. The cons are: bad sound and bad wifi. These are the two things I need for multimedia entertainment. How bad are these cons?
So my question is: do you recommend this laptop? I also saw the Qosmio X880, which is also interesting. Asus has the better specs.

finalhour
10-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Honestly, No. After all the screen issues I've had with this No. Mine's the G75VW-BBK5, maybe some of the owners of the other versions of it can give you their feedback.

joyfulPo
10-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Yes! ** BUT ONLY BUY THIS FOR GAMING+ EVERYTHIN ELSE **
So if you don't plan on playing games, don't buy G75VW.

If you update the Wifi drivers, it's good.
If you get the G75VW with Geforce GTX 670M, it's good.
I never had higher temperature than 65c - playing World of Warcraft, Battlefield 3.

Sure, it has been some screen problems but if you get one with bad screen, it's just return \ get money back and buy from some other seller as they might have a different stock, right.

To have a laptop that never have random shutdowns or overheat issues, that is rare. I mean it, even Alienware have their random shutdowns and overheat.

G75VW doesn't - I at least not experienced any overheat issues.

Volco
10-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Yes!

If you update the Wifi drivers, it's good.
If you get the G75VW with Geforce GTX 670M, it's good.
I never had higher temperature than 65c - playing World of Warcraft, Battlefield 3.

Sure, it has been some screen problems but if you get one with bad screen, it's just return \ get money back and buy from some other seller as they might have a different stock, right.

To have a laptop that never have random shutdowns or overheat issues, that is rare. I mean it, even Alienware have their random shutdowns and overheat.

G75VW doesn't - I at least not experienced any overheat issues.

You say that after updating the Wifi driver it is good. Good als it should be or still below average?
How about the subwoofer sound issue?
And why not buying it for high end multimedia performance instead of just gaming? The price is no issue for me...

AzraelsKiss
10-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm running a G75vw-bbk5. I've had no problems with the wifi or screen at all. The sound is great, especially when watching videos or listening to audio files. Some people complain about the subwoofer not being a true subwoofer, but over all, it seems to improve the overall sound quality compared to regular notebook speakers, especially when you tweak the sound to your preference. I'm running the 900a sound drivers from VIA and it seems to fix the problem with the subwoofer not scaling with the volume control and I don't need even need to adjust the equalizer to get an acceptable sound. I can't comment on whether the subwoofer shuts off when using wired headphones or not, because I use a bluetooth headset which doesn't have that issue. I would definitely recommend this notebook for anyone willing to spend this much for a quality notebook.

voodoo man
10-09-2012, 02:18 PM
i got the G75 t1329 european model i got no problems with it
sound
connection
gaming.....

i use to have a MSI gt780 with gtx 570m 2670qm and g74 with i7 2670qm gtx 560m

msi have better sound but the fan is so loud cause only 1 fan and get hotter then asus

i get between 60° and 65° with no noise at all under heavy load on asus g75

on my g75 im runing these games

Guild Wars 2
skyrim
battlefield 3
dead space 2
and more never had problems or lag they all run fluent

i hope this help you a bit about the g75

finalhour
10-09-2012, 02:31 PM
You say that after updating the Wifi driver it is good. Good als it should be or still below average?
How about the subwoofer sound issue?
And why not buying it for high end multimedia performance instead of just gaming? The price is no issue for me...

The speakers on the G75VW with the previous update to the VIA driver (not the new one) sound ok and the subwoofer isn't as bad as a lot of people say here. That being said, the speakers still leave a LOT to be desired, especially considering the hefty price of the G75

john_from_ohio
10-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Hi

I want to buy a powerful laptop, not for gaming but just a powerful multimedia notebook.

I had had a bunch of Toshiba products over several decades but ( unfortunately ) the qosmios are just ... dog ugly ... hideous even.

The G75VW BBK5 system is an absolute beast and the wifi works just fine for me. Not a gamer ... don't use the sound much ... but it can be adjusted to be very tolerable ... just takes a fair amount of tweaking.

If you don't need it right now though ... might be worth sitting for a month as new version G75VX is right around the corner.

joyfulPo
10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Who uses speakers anyway? I'm always on headphones :)

Cus if you want real speakers, you hook up to a speaker set that is 100x bigger :)

Shawnnepc
10-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi

I want to buy a powerful laptop, not for gaming but just a powerful multimedia notebook. I discovered the G75 and it is quite impressive. The cons are: bad sound and bad wifi. These are the two things I need for multimedia entertainment. How bad are these cons?
So my question is: do you recommend this laptop? I also saw the Qosmio X880, which is also interesting. Asus has the better specs.

Check out the ASUS N76VZ.

Volco
10-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Check out the ASUS N76VZ.

The N76VZ is nog high end enough for me. Besides, i have seen it and I dislike all the plastic parts and the fake speaker outletholes....

c_man
10-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Well, the bad WiFi is not exactly true. OK, the signal is not amazing, but speed is very good. I top my band limit with no problems (at best it's 100Mbps if Internet source can provide that). What exactly do you need WiFi for?

The great thing about G75 is that it will stay cool no matter what. If that matters, it's the only option on the market that you have. If not, well, N76 is a multimedia laptop from Asus, G75 being more of a gaming rig. The N76 speakers are miles away in front of G75's.

Volco
10-09-2012, 07:30 PM
I need Wifi because I am online all the time. I am not a gamer. I want to use it for multimedia.

Shawnnepc
10-09-2012, 07:31 PM
The N76VZ is nog high end enough for me. Besides, i have seen it and I dislike all the plastic parts and the fake speaker outletholes....

You and I must be looking at different products.

bignazpwns
10-09-2012, 08:05 PM
You and I must be looking at different products.

If the N76VZ is not high end enoguht for him then the G75 is not either. The spec's are the same outside the GT 650m what most people dont know is just a lower binned GTX 660m.

And the G75 is all plastic. You would prob be happy running a Macbook pro as they got third gen i7's GT 650's and displays that are much better then the ones used on the Asus's you looking at. If you bump the price up the retna displays are very nice. Its not to hard to run windows on a macbook and personally i hate apple and their crap but for a multimedia system the Macbook pro is just a better choice then the ones you listed.

c_man
10-09-2012, 08:05 PM
I need Wifi because I am online all the time. I am not a gamer. I want to use it for multimedia.

Same for me. Like I've said, signal is not amazing, but it's steady and works well. No problems with WiFi at all here.

c_man
10-09-2012, 08:09 PM
And the G75 is all plastic.

Yeah, but it's not as bad as it sounds. In fact I quite like it. No finger prints. No sweat. It's one of the best I had. I hate those "metal" laptops that do nothing really.

bignazpwns
10-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah, but it's not as bad as it sounds. In fact I quite like it. No finger prints. No sweat. It's one of the best I had. I hate those "metal" laptops that do nothing really.

True but hes making it sound like the G75 is this magnesium beast....And im fine with it my only beef is with the palm rest. That is the word i seen on a laptop for showing any dry skin you have turns into a mark on it. I really wish they would of used something else.

Also if people dont like the wifi just pick up a killer card from ebay. I got mine for $40 and unlike the other killer stuff this card does improve over the stock and some of the intel's i used. But then again it uese a qualcomm chipset.

The stock card in the G75's is fine. In no way does it give sub par speed or range. Yeah you wont be steeling your neighbors wifi and getting 4 bars but the wifi on it is fine and all i do is stream high def 1080p and never had to buffer, dc or anything like that. My pings are always very good and overall speed is good.

GottiBoi55
10-10-2012, 12:56 AM
The ASUS N76VZ is what you need.
if you really not going to game, this is the one for you.
Has most of the same specs as the G75, has the same CPU.
better sound system with B&O speakers.

Specifications

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 3610QM Processor

Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate
Genuine Windows® 7 Professional
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Basic

Chipset
Intel® HM76 Chipset

Memory
DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, 2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 GB SDRAM

Display
17.3" HD+ (1600x900)/Full HD (1920x1080)/Wide View Angle LED Backlight

Graphic
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM

Storage
2.5" SATA Dual HDD
1TB 5400rpm
750GB 5400rpm/7200rpm
640GB 5400rpm
500GB 5400rpm/7200rpm
750GB 7200rpm SSH
500GB 7200rpm SSH

Optical Drive
Blu-Ray DVD Combo
Super-Multi DVD
Blue-ray reader

Card Reader
3 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ MS/ MS Pro/ MMC)

Camera
HD Web Camera

Networking
Integrated 802.11 b/g/n
Built-in Bluetooth™ V4.0 (Optional)
10/100/1000 Base T

Interface
1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x Headphone-out jack
1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
4 x USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI
1 x SPIDIF speaker out
1 x Antenna Input (selective)

Audio
Built-in Speakers And Microphone
Bang & Olufsen ICEpower®
MaxxAudio support

Battery
6Cells 5200 mAh 56 Whrs

Clintlgm
10-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Same with mine I have no WiFi problems at all. I get full internet connection speeds for me 40 mb down 3 mb up. I have not experienced a disconnect as of this time. Sound works good on my Bose external speakers and head set.

c_man
10-10-2012, 07:01 AM
True but hes making it sound like the G75 is this magnesium beast....And im fine with it my only beef is with the palm rest. That is the word i seen on a laptop for showing any dry skin you have turns into a mark on it. I really wish they would of used something else.

That's strange, mine is quite clean. On other laptops I need to clean it daily.