PDA

View Full Version : GPU Won't Down Clock

HulkSmash
10-09-2012, 02:14 PM
I don'd know why, but my GPU won't downclock after playing a video card demanding game. It should be around 135 ghz idle, but it stays at 835 ghz for some reason...I did try to underclock it using preision little by little, until it crashed. Also when I restart the computer it goes back. Also went down when I reinstalled drivers, but went back up again after playing a game.

Asus G75 BBK5

c_man
10-09-2012, 04:00 PM
If this keeps going on, you might have damaged something while using a 3rd party app.

A fresh install might be the best thing to see how it performs.

bignazpwns
10-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Fire up evga precession and uncheck the little "apply when start ot boot" box. Then reboot and leave it alone till you geat a idea of how this all works.

Idle is one pstate. Gaming load is another. If you down aclock on idle it will be downclocked till the card switches to say pstate 0 then ramp upto its normal clock unless you downclock pstate0. The GTX 660m has 3 pstates its not like clocking on a fermi.

Lets say for S's and G's you wanna downlock your gpu to 400mhz when playing a game. You need nvidia inspector for that and will run something like this. "C:\Nvidia Inspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,135 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,500 -setpowertarget:0,111 -setVoltageOffset:0,0,0 -setGpuClock:0,2,400 -setMemoryClock:0,2,3000 -forcepstate:0,2 Now your idle will be the same as well as your low power 3D but when it goes to kick into high gead for a game it will only go to 400mhz or whatever you set it at.

HulkSmash
10-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Alright, did a clean install on my drivers...everything back to normal....Also, had power management mode checked to prefer maximum performance, think there was anything to do with that? Cuz it seems like it worked....

HulkSmash
10-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Also a quick question, I've been using EVGA precision, usually at 135+ core and 350 memmory, which I did a lot of research, and I hear it is very stable, and it's by no means pushing the card. The max temp I've got was 68c after running BF3 for about 5 hours. Should I only activate precision when I am playing games, or just leave it on at all times? Sorry, I am pretty new to OC'ing, just did it because I heard the GTX660 being kepler could handle it very well...