PDA

View Full Version : Unable to do clean install of win7 on ssd

kknvdoom
10-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Hello people,

I have recently purchased an 120 GB Sandisk SSD which I have managed to install on my G53-SX. The problem is that I have been unable to install windows 7 x64 premium on it. I formatted the HD partition that previously had win7 with no problem, the windows setup starts successfully and copies the files it requires on the SSD. However, after the first restart the setup will not continue, I get stuck at the "windows is starting" screen which eventually goes blank. Note that my ssd has both the "system" partition as well as the partition which contains the installation files. In addition I have set boot priority for the ssd first. Sata configuration is also set to ACHI. Any help would be appreciated! I have tried many things but the one thing I want to avoid is having to remove the HD to install windows on the SSD (some people have suggested this would help).

Thank you!

dstrakele
10-12-2012, 12:47 PM
1) Are you running the latest firmware version for your SSD?

2) Check out this thread: http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/198538-desktop-problem-2.html#post1667540.

3) Removing the HDD is easy. If others have recommended it, why not give it a shot?

4) It sounds like you've got it set up correctly. After all is said and done, you may be working with a defective SSD.

Myk SilentShadow
10-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Actually, where you have seen people say to remove your HDD before installing to an SSD is indeed a very good idea....due to the fact that not every time, Windows won't create the 100MB System Partition since the HDD had that partition and for whatever reason Windows didn't do it for the SSD as well. I highly recommend you do disconnect your HDD and restart the install process again, making sure you format the SSD prior to letting it install again, this will ensure there is no clutter and you have a perfect working installation. :)

dstrakele
10-12-2012, 01:15 PM
....or at least delete ALL partitions on the HDD.