PDA

View Full Version : G75V Notebook: No hard drive in Bios after disk recovery

ynotrobits
10-10-2012, 08:40 PM
My first time posting; hopefully I',m posting in the correct section.

Here's my issue:

I have about a two month old ROG notebook from Tiger Direct. (G75V) I created a set of recovery disks and then to test them out, I ran a recovery. (I used the "check" feature while creating the disks)

After I ran the recovery, I got a message stating that the recovery went successfully but when I hit "Next" and the laptop re-booted, I got a boot error message: "Reboot and select proper boot device"

I loaded up the BIOS via F2 and when I went to change the boot from the Bluray drive to the hard drive I couldn't because the hard drive is not listed.

The only thing listed is Boot Option #1 which is the Mat**** BluRay drive

Now I know that originally there were two disk options; the Mat**** BluRay driveand the hard drive. Something about the recovery is affecting the ability for the hard drive to display in BIOS.

I tried entering F9 (Optimized defaults) but that didn't help.

I also tried using the ESC key but it just listed the BluRay drive.

There is an field to add a new boot option but I'm not familiar with it. This is what is says:

Select one filesystem from the list:

PCI(1F|2)\DevicePath(Type 3, SubType 12)HD Part1, Sigc137713-47c2-43202-89de-
91e0b549228

Enter the path to the boot option in the format: fs0:\path\filename.efi

Create

Just to check on the hardrive, I loaded up a drive erase utility and it recognized the hard drive right away so I know the hard drive is available. I'm also assuming that since the recovery ran successfully, that means that the hard drive is functioning properly.

I called up ASUS tech support but all I got was someone reading off of a script. She insisted that my hard drive is bad but I don't think that's true; I just think it's a recognition issue in the BIOS

Just to be be sure, I re-ran the disk recovery but the same thing happens.

If anyone has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

kkn
10-10-2012, 08:42 PM
try and post in the notebook section, you will get faster ansver there :)

ynotrobits
10-10-2012, 09:06 PM
try and post in the notebook section, you will get faster ansver there :)

Thank you; I have reposted in the notebook section

cl-scott
10-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Thank you; I have reposted in the notebook section

Administrator: You can delete this or close it if you want

No need, I already moved your original thread, so I just deleted the repost.

Shawnnepc
10-10-2012, 09:50 PM
What's the full model of your laptop?

G75VW-xxxx

My first time posting; hopefully I',m posting in the correct section.

Here's my issue:

I have about a two month old ROG notebook from Tiger Direct. (G75V) I created a set of recovery disks and then to test them out, I ran a recovery. (I used the "check" feature while creating the disks)

After I ran the recovery, I got a message stating that the recovery went successfully but when I hit "Next" and the laptop re-booted, I got a boot error message: "Reboot and select proper boot device"

I loaded up the BIOS via F2 and when I went to change the boot from the Bluray drive to the hard drive I couldn't because the hard drive is not listed.

The only thing listed is Boot Option #1 which is the Mat**** BluRay drive

Now I know that originally there were two disk options; the Mat**** BluRay driveand the hard drive. Something about the recovery is affecting the ability for the hard drive to display in BIOS.

I tried entering F9 (Optimized defaults) but that didn't help.

I also tried using the ESC key but it just listed the BluRay drive.

There is an field to add a new boot option but I'm not familiar with it. This is what is says:

Select one filesystem from the list:

PCI(1F|2)\DevicePath(Type 3, SubType 12)HD Part1, Sigc137713-47c2-43202-89de-
91e0b549228

Enter the path to the boot option in the format: fs0:\path\filename.efi

Create

Just to check on the hardrive, I loaded up a drive erase utility and it recognized the hard drive right away so I know the hard drive is available. I'm also assuming that since the recovery ran successfully, that means that the hard drive is functioning properly.

I called up ASUS tech support but all I got was someone reading off of a script. She insisted that my hard drive is bad but I don't think that's true; I just think it's a recognition issue in the BIOS

Just to be be sure, I re-ran the disk recovery but the same thing happens.

If anyone has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

ynotrobits
10-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the reply

I have two separate numbers:

P/N # G75VW-TS72

ITEM # AS G75VW-1AT1/6BL/V/WI4/SX

ynotrobits
10-13-2012, 06:21 PM
I haven't resolved the problem but just to complete the thread, here's what I'm going to do:

The notebook is under warranty so I've sent it back to have the operating system re-installed. I've signed up for the Windows 8 professional option which I'm supposed to receive sometime in November and what I'm hoping is that I can pay extra to get a physical installation disk which I'll use in the future as opposed to using the ASUS restore disks. If I can't use the Windows 8 upgrade disks as a stand-alone option, I think I'll just bite the bullet and purchase an OEM installation which will be worth it to avoid having to deal with bloatware.

In searching the internet, I have run across instances of other users having the same problem that I'm having so there must be some issue happening within the ASUS restore disk creation.

Thank you

Cecil_2099
10-13-2012, 11:55 PM
How big is the hard drive that shipped with your laptop? If it's larger than 500GB and you didn't update your AI recovery utility BEFORE burning your recovery disks, then the disks you have won't recover to your hard drive. You'll need to find a 500GB or smaller hard drive, use the disks to recover, then update the AI recovery utility and re-burn a new set.