PDA

View Full Version : G75 backlight mod

bignazpwns
10-12-2012, 03:02 AM
Ok so some people want to know how to do this.

First off this is not east. This was the worst backlight i ever had to replace. It's worse then working on a Macbook and that's saying a lot.

Right now i'm looking for some brighter back light options as it should not be hard to find one that will work. I'll post part numbers when i find one.

As for getting to the back light you will need to remove a total of 82 screws.....Yes 82. The first 26 you remove from the bottom will allow you to remove the top assembly. Don't forget to disconnect your 5 ribbon cables. Lift the tabs up and they slide out but they do break easy. After that you will have a total of 56 screws to remove the keyboard from the unit and to remove the back from the keyboard. Then you will have some rivets that you will need to cut out. As for a replacement i just used small little hot glue caps. To change the color just put any color film between the backlight and the keyboard then reassemble and test.

I'm not going to make a step by step guide for this as this is not easy to do. Leaving the optical drive and harddrives in that's 82 screw. If you remove them then your up to 88.

Im in the process of the fallowing

-printable temples that will show you where to cut as well as provide zones for diff colors. Use a printer and a overhead projector film and just print it out and your good to go after you trim it.

-upgraded backlights that provide brighter lighting "I will need to check not only comparability but current draw to make sure its not to damage the system in any way so this may take a week or two.

I really wish Asus went easy on the screw's in this thing. 56 on just the keyboard is excessive and added to the overall cost of the laptop i dont know if they got someone from Nvidia's heatsink engineer staff over there but whoever set this up has a unhealthy obsession with screws.

When i get into backlight testing i'll take some pictures and color code some screws. but just be warned keep track of your screws and dont strip any out. 82 is a lot of them. Also just for S's and G's i'll go ahead and do a full screw count in the system since its going to be well over 100 and then i'll weight them to see how much weight it adds to the system lol. But rest assured that your keyboard will never come apart.

freefall
10-12-2012, 07:55 AM
That is some heavy duty real s**t you got there going :D
That seems interesting though. I'll be waiting for the followup. :)

c_man
10-12-2012, 08:45 AM
I've seen tha keyboard of G75 and I feel that it is just too much work to be done and not worth it at all.

bignazpwns
10-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I've seen tha keyboard of G75 and I feel that it is just too much work to be done and not worth it at all.

Yeah i mean 82 screws is just way way way to much. 1/2 way i wanted to give up. I dont know if they just wanted to use a excessive amount of screws in this thing so people wont open it up because i'll tell you they do make you wanna not do anything on it.

ushhh
04-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Did u end up doing the back light mod

Pitcher@asus
04-10-2013, 07:37 AM
it is refit, when you disassembly laptop to refit somehting, it would be happen unpredictable things, so asus does not agree do it.

Cyrax
04-10-2013, 11:58 AM
asus sucks ass

Guido7142
04-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Is there any progress ?

httuner
04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
asus sucks ass

You do know you have the option not to buy Asus products? Don't like em, Don't buy em

Bran187
04-10-2013, 07:40 PM
asus sucks ass

Your certainly entitled to your opinion. I for one love Asus. Love thier laptops, love thier Mobo's, and my next GPU is probably going to be Asus.

Back on topic. Great guide, alot of work but I have seen alot of people asking for this so well done. :)

Guido7142
04-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Yesterday I tried to do this mod and found a problem, as all G75 owners know, the entire top pannel comes out (along with touchpad and the upper section where the power button is and so on), but could not find a way to separate the keyboard itself from the pannel. There are some black screws that I was able to take off and there were other silver ones that had such a tiny screwing diameter that with the tools I had I could not remove. The problem relies that if I manage to get those silver ones out, there are still dozens of plastic retainers (that are part of that big upper pannel) that from what I saw, the only way to unhook them is by breaking them. Any suggestions ?

You can see them at minute 8:00 of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KHrJKInmA

grungeboy2
04-11-2013, 11:45 PM
maybe you don't need to take the keyboard off. you're wanting to tint the backlight color, right?

you might be able to seperate the led light panel from the keyboard.

Guido7142
04-12-2013, 12:37 AM
maybe you don't need to take the keyboard off. you're wanting to tint the backlight color, right?

you might be able to seperate the led light panel from the keyboard.

To separate them you must first take off the keyboard. I want to do the well know placing of a color film between the leds and the keys. Just as everyone has done with the G73.

ushhh
04-12-2013, 02:08 AM
what kind of film do u put in there

Guido7142
04-12-2013, 02:11 AM
I am still not able to separate the keyboard from the upper pannel. Once I manage to somehow do that, I will try to open the keyboard and insert the film.

grungeboy2
04-12-2013, 02:07 PM
To separate them you must first take off the keyboard. I want to do the well know placing of a color film between the leds and the keys. Just as everyone has done with the G73.

yeah, i know, i've done it to mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/grungeboy/FxCam_1317662588701.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/grungeboy/media/FxCam_1317662588701.jpg.html)

i've also done a vent mod
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/grungeboy/1028002134.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/grungeboy/media/1028002134.jpg.html)

and once i made a USB-powered cardboard laptop cooler.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/grungeboy/1120001817b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/grungeboy/media/1120001817b.jpg.html)

bignazpwns
04-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Remember you need to do the cutting i listed. Theres going to be a ton of screws in two sizes. Cut the little tabs and it will come off. You will then need to put it back on and where the tabs were cut i used some RTV sealant to kinda recap it to hold it.

Adding a film will dimm the back light pretty bad if you want a color that dont look to washed out. I changed my LED's. Just a heads up its not easy and using the equipment at my work it took about two hours but its much brighter and now blue. "Post some pics when i can find them i sold this system after the review and mods."

However i did have a mod to give the backlight more power since the system was under powering the LED's. I only tested it a little so not something i will post unless someone who has an electronics background wants to try it. Been testing the same type of mod on the VX but due to the diff. layouts the mod for the VW and VX are pretty diff.

Guido7142
04-12-2013, 09:07 PM
How did you manage to cut those plastic tops ?

Also, I thought that once you had already cut the tops, if you screw everything together again, the keyboard would still be firm in place. Did you feel the need of putting that extra sealant ?

bignazpwns
04-12-2013, 09:40 PM
How did you manage to cut those plastic tops ?

Also, I thought that once you had already cut the tops, if you screw everything together again, the keyboard would still be firm in place. Did you feel the need of putting that extra sealant ?

I just used a razer. Prob dont need it but i just wanted to get as close to normal as i could. Super glue is just to hard and wont ever come off. The sealant holds good but you can get it off pretty easy. But putting a film in with the stock LED's is going to result in a extremely dim back light thats borderline unusable because of how dim it gets. Personally i just would not even bother

Guido7142
04-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Where did you get new color leds ? I've never heard of that.

(I have just finished breaking those million plastic tops... it took me the entire Enemy Of The State movie to do so. But I still do not have a propper screwdriver to unscrew those tiny tiny silver screws that release the keyboard)

bignazpwns
04-13-2013, 05:53 AM

(I have just finished breaking those million plastic tops... it took me the entire Enemy Of The State movie to do so. But I still do not have a propper screwdriver to unscrew those tiny tiny silver screws that release the keyboard)

I advise you against doing this as its not worth it.

As for the LED's they are surface mount so unless you know what your doing you wont be able to do it. Keep in my i have everything i need for this at work since i'm an electronics engineer. http://www.digikey.com/ is where i get most of my parts from but for the LED's i just used some we had extra for a product we no longer make.

httuner
04-13-2013, 08:28 PM

You don't need to change the LED colors, in fact a much simple way to go about changing their colors is to buy some COLOR plastic film that is the color you want and just cut them to size, you can tape them onto the LED's or glue them on_

Changing the LED's will require some soldering work, really good soldering work especially when everything is so small. If indeed the LED's are surface mount LED's then its not worth un-soldering all those LED's off only to resolder new ones on. Anything surface mount requires really good soldering skills and you got to have good accuracy and be good in working in really small areas.

Its too much work and the end result might be worth it but you can damage something along the way so not worth the risk. Just buy color plastic film and tape it over the LED's

Guido7142
04-13-2013, 08:59 PM
That is what I am going to do. A color that is not too darkened that it could dim the intensity of the lightning but deep enough so as to change the color of the light.

Guido7142
05-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Guys, while messing around with the keyboard I managed to break the cable that connects the backlight of the keyboard... Does anyone know a way to fix it or where to buy a replacement ? I don't even know how it is connected to the keyboard.

grungeboy2
05-05-2013, 05:40 PM
i wanted to clear up some misinformation floating around.

there are many different kinds of color film you can buy or use. i've used several different colors, including a red and a blue film.

if the film is too thick, it's going to make the lights too dim. but if it is thin and made to let say 85% of light through, it's going to be fine.

the red i used, in the pic posted earlier, was from a cooking pan i bought at walmart. the red was from a red, clear, plastic lid. the blue i used (which is what i ended up using after cutting it to fit the keyboard section (but not the f keys or numpad, they are white), that was an actual lighting gel i picked up when i was doing set up for a Reba Mcentire show at Bridgestone.

and last, i wouldn't cut out pieces of film and glue them over the lights. that makes for a hard-to-replace mod. i would cut the film to size, then lay it in between the lights and the keyboard. i then used some black vinyl tape around the edges to keep it all together.

on mine, the lights are plenty bright (maybe losing 10% of their original brightness) as i have a numpad that has no film or coloring. it is not noticeably brighter. if you get some film that is too thick, then you could have that problem.

ttawd500hp
10-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Remember you need to do the cutting i listed. Theres going to be a ton of screws in two sizes. Cut the little tabs and it will come off. You will then need to put it back on and where the tabs were cut i used some RTV sealant to kinda recap it to hold it.

Adding a film will dimm the back light pretty bad if you want a color that dont look to washed out. I changed my LED's. Just a heads up its not easy and using the equipment at my work it took about two hours but its much brighter and now blue. "Post some pics when i can find them i sold this system after the review and mods."

However i did have a mod to give the backlight more power since the system was under powering the LED's. I only tested it a little so not something i will post unless someone who has an electronics background wants to try it. Been testing the same type of mod on the VX but due to the diff. layouts the mod for the VW and VX are pretty diff.

I would like to give that a try if you still have data for the backlight power increase mod. I do have electronics exp. As far as the backlight color, I just removed each individual key on my VX keyboard and used a sharpie of my preference to create the background color I wanted. Only took about an hour for all keys. Works great and very crisp but I would like more brightness for low to medium light conditions so the color can show through in the day..