PDA

View Full Version : G74SX not recognizing recovery partition. Help!!

Wolfsburg
10-12-2012, 04:01 AM
I was installing linux mint, but somehow the bootloader from linux didn't got installed OK and I had to take my laptop to the warranty service in order to be able to boot back into windows. Now, after retrieving it, I have some issues:

-If I press F9 when the ASUS logo is on, nothing happens and it boots right into Windows.

-Also, when "normal booting" I don't get the windows 7 loading screen, instead, it shows Windows's XP screen

-When I try to burn the recovery DVD's via AI Recovery Burner, it displays a message telling me that the files have been deleted, however, in disk manager, i can clearly see that the recovery partition is there.

How can I fix this things without taking it to the Service Center?

dstrakele
10-12-2012, 05:18 AM
A screenshot from Disk Management would help to describe your issue.

If Windows 7 is booting with an XP splash screen, I'm not surprised the ASUS Factory Restore partition is screwed up in some fashion.

Personally, I'd be tempted to reformat and partition the drive, download the .ISO file of the Windows 7 version that shipped with the laptop from the Digital River website , burn it to a DVD or flash drive, install Windows with it, install recent device drivers, activate the new Windows instance with the product key on the label on the bottom of the laptop, backup the Windows System Image, and use that for any future Windows Recovery.

Wolfsburg
10-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Here's the screenshot.

Regarding the windows xp screen.... it's the same screen that appears when you press f9 (the one with the green bars)

dstrakele
10-13-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm thinking the partition type of your partition labeled "Recovery" is incorrect, so it is not recognized when you boot up pressing F9 to initiate the ASUS Factory Recovery. I suspect it is also responsible for the "same screen that appears when you press f9 (the one with the green bars)" you report during normal startup, since Windows can interact with your "Recovery" partition.

On my G74SX, Disk Management shows the following:

Note that the 25 GB partition on Disk 1 is unnamed, has no drive letter, and shows no file system type. If I right-click on this partition in Disk Management, the only available option is to "Delete Volume". I cannot display the Properties of this partition in Disk Management.

If I boot up from a CD of MiniTools Partition Wizard, it can show the Properties of this partition. It then displays the Label "Recovery", File System of "FAT32", a Partition Type of 0x1C. I recommend you backup your Recovery partition, boot into Partition Wizard, and use it to change the Partition Type of your "Recovery" partition to "0x1C Hidden FAT32 LBA".

Wolfsburg
10-14-2012, 07:44 PM
I guess that's how warranty service managed to restore the bootloader without erasing my files or installing a new hdd after linux messing with my bootloader.
I can't find the Digital River download link, would you please pass me the link??

dstrakele
10-15-2012, 02:39 AM
I can't find the Digital River download link, would you please pass me the link??

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/