PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-TS72 booted up this morning and video is super slow and dragging

CVSiN
10-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Hey guys,
I've got a 2 month old machine.
It has been running fantastic have been playing games on it non stop.

I was playing BL2 and TL2 all last evening with no issues at all.
Shutdown the machine and went to bed.

This morning I go to check my email before work and power it up and everything is dragging. windows are slowly animating
open and closed..
just terrible performance.

I tried to run TL2 and it was stuttering so bad could barely move.

I removed the video card from device manager and allowed windows to replace it.. rebooted no change..

tried the new Nvidia driver.. same thing super slow..

did my card fry on shutdown?
This machine has been babied no OC no nothing pure stock..
and it boots and shuts down super fast still so it has to be video..

If it is shot what is the procedure and turnaround for Asus RMA?

This is my main machine and cant be without a computer for work etc for long.

CVSiN
10-12-2012, 04:04 PM
32 views and no info?

guys I need some help.. no suggestions?

dstrakele
10-12-2012, 04:16 PM
From your description, it doesn't sound like a video card or video driver issue.

Did the internet connection from your ISP take a hit?

Were any Windows or other updates installed on shutdown?

Does Task Manager indicate 100% CPU utilization? If so, what process?

rewben
10-12-2012, 04:17 PM
sorry but i really have no clue about your situation. what can you find in the event log?

you might be doing nothing, but the system might do something in the background and mess up something else.

AzraelsKiss
10-12-2012, 04:26 PM
It's probably not the video card. Video card malfunctions normally show graphical defects, no video, or errors involving the video on boot or while running. It sounds like the system is busy and that is causing the issues. Is the hard drive light on during this? Could be a corruption on the hard drive causing the system to become busy, or it could just be one or more programs that run on boot. Have you installed anything new lately? It might have done something that's slowing down your system. You may need to roll back to a restore point from before the recent installation.

CVSiN
10-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Did the internet connection from your ISP take a hit?

Were any Windows or other updates installed on shutdown?

Does Task Manager indicate 100% CPU utilization? If so, what process?

Nope system shut down with no updates.
and CPU was normal nothing tying it up.

I'll triple check tonight.. but the system itself is super fast it is just refresh and display that is acting wors than if it wasnt plugged in.

apps open super fast and closes super fast so I dont think it is a system issue it flat seems like a video issue only.

but I've never seen a card fail to slow... but working.. usually they crater with artifacts or no video at all.

finalhour
10-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Lack of replies is due to, as others have stated, not enough info from you, and a wide range of possible issues that might create symptoms similar to what you are describing. I'd run HDTune or Chkdsk and I'd run sfc /SCANNOW and a few other commands to check for any corruption in your hard drive and in your OS. I'd also possibly look at if a virus could produce anything like this... we're a group of gaming enthusiasts, not GeekSquad, and even they would need much more info than you're providing

AzraelsKiss
10-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Nope system shut down with no updates.
and CPU was normal nothing tying it up.

I'll triple check tonight.. but the system itself is super fast it is just refresh and display that is acting wors than if it wasnt plugged in.

apps open super fast and closes super fast so I dont think it is a system issue it flat seems like a video issue only.

but I've never seen a card fail to slow... but working.. usually they crater with artifacts or no video at all.

Have you checked to make sure the display properties haven't been changed somehow, such as the refresh rate?

CVSiN
10-12-2012, 04:32 PM
It's probably not the video card. Video card malfunctions normally show graphical defects, no video, or errors involving the video on boot or while running. It sounds like the system is busy and that is causing the issues. Is the hard drive light on during this? Could be a corruption on the hard drive causing the system to become busy, or it could just be one or more programs that run on boot. Have you installed anything new lately? It might have done something that's slowing down your system. You may need to roll back to a restore point from before the recent installation.

Yeh I 100% agree
but nope no new software other than Dishonored on Steam. and steam isnt even running at system launch.

I may use this opportunity to install my retail windows8 ultimate on my SSD for testing.. if it speeds back up guess it is software issue.. if it doesn't then it has to be hardware.

dstrakele
10-12-2012, 04:37 PM
This morning I go to check my email before work and power it up and everything is dragging. windows are slowly animating
open and closed..
just terrible performance..

You seem to contradict yourself in the description of your issue.

Boot into a Linux " LiveCD " distribution would be a good test to determine if it is a Windows software problem. No changes needed to your current Windows installation..

CVSiN
10-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Lack of replies is due to, as others have stated, not enough info from you, and a wide range of possible issues that might create symptoms similar to what you are describing. I'd run HDTune or Chkdsk and I'd run sfc /SCANNOW and a few other commands to check for any corruption in your hard drive and in your OS. I'd also possibly look at if a virus could produce anything like this... we're a group of gaming enthusiasts, not GeekSquad, and even they would need much more info than you're providing

I'm a 20 year MS System Engineer ask for additional info and I'll give it to you..

like I said.. no new hardware/software or anything else.. no patches no updates..
no nothing..
power it up.. CPU and system are fast and responsive however video is dragging windows Aero animations are dragging but smooth.. not acting like a system with a maxed CPU or software issue.. acting like something in video is struggling to display the affects.. system boots in less than 30 secs.. and shuts down instantly as it should..

programs open with no delay.. however the windows themselves for the program opening is slow.
basically like a old vid card trying to run Aero.. same thing happened when I launched TL2 to check vid performance.. stutter stutter lag

CPU was at idle usage and ram usage was super low. no unusual items in system processes and no unusual services running.

CVSiN
10-12-2012, 04:40 PM
You seem to contradict yourself in the description of your issue.

how? the system itself is hauling ass.. it is video performance that is dragging.. if you go down to a basic non aero windows theme the system is perfectly snappy.

dstrakele
10-12-2012, 04:53 PM
What does DPC Latency Checker show you?

How about Resource Monitor?

Does a Windows System Restore back a couple of days resolve your performance issues?

CVSiN
10-12-2012, 05:04 PM
What does DPC Latency Checker show you?

How about Resource Monitor?

Does a Windows System Restore back a couple of days resolve your performance issues?

Will get accurate figures on both at lunch for you.

did not run a DPC on it this morning.

dstrakele
10-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Check out this thread : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/windows-aero-effects-are-slow/01130792-2e02-45f7-acde-6adfce762ea4?msgId=d117b05d-666b-467a-a76c-edca444e80cb.

It sounds like there may be some corruption to the Windows system files responsible for Aero effects.

Windows System Restore may be able to undo such corruption.

CVSiN
10-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Check out this thread : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/windows-aero-effects-are-slow/01130792-2e02-45f7-acde-6adfce762ea4?msgId=d117b05d-666b-467a-a76c-edca444e80cb.

good thread but it's not just Aero its gaming as well.

anything hitting the card for performance is slow as molasses.

Will try a system restore.. as well as flat a new install of W8 Retail on my spare SSD from my MS partner account.

dstrakele
10-12-2012, 05:19 PM
When you installed the latest NVIDIA driver, did you perform a 'clean' NVIDIA install from Windows Safe Mode?

AzraelsKiss
10-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Just a thought... I have no idea if it's a good thought or no... Could an issue like this be caused by DirectX? It'll probably still require a system restore to fix...

kuudou
10-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Just a thought... I have no idea if it's a good thought or no... Could an issue like this be caused by DirectX? It'll probably still require a system restore to fix...

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But couldn't the problem just be the fact that he's running Windows 8? Possibly a power distribution problem?

AzraelsKiss
10-12-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But couldn't the problem just be the fact that he's running Windows 8? Possibly a power distribution problem?
From the sounds of it, he's not running Win8 yet... He said he'll try Win8 and see if he sees the same issues in it. Besides... He also mentioned Aero and Win8 does not have Aero.

CVSiN
10-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Windows 8 blows away 7 in performance flat out.. boots in less than 15 secs without an SSD.
but.. if you read I said I'm 100% stock which means ASUS branded Windows7 Home Premium right now.. as they arent sending out 8 yet for anyone other than MS partners and MSDN users and VLK Clients.

I said I would use the opportunity to use my W8 Ultimate Retail key on my SSD to try to fix the issue as well.

But it was not the issue.
Went home did NOTHING other than check connections and re-seat power at the wall and the box and the PC.

and it came up super fast and everything back to normal..
It was much slower than it should have been if it was just on battery.

I've used it several times on batts and it was very usable and even able to game on it if I reduced graphics..

No idea what caused it which actually bugs me worse than having a solution.

Glad it is working but would like to know why it did it..

finalhour
10-12-2012, 08:24 PM
If it's a windows corruption issue you really DO need to run the command:

sfc /SCANNOW

and see if it finds any corrupt windows entries.

AzraelsKiss
10-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Windows 8 blows away 7 in performance flat out.. boots in less than 15 secs without an SSD.
but.. if you read I said I'm 100% stock which means ASUS branded Windows7 Home Premium right now.. as they arent sending out 8 yet for anyone other than MS partners and MSDN users and VLK Clients.

I said I would use the opportunity to use my W8 Ultimate Retail key on my SSD to try to fix the issue as well.

But it was not the issue.
Went home did NOTHING other than check connections and re-seat power at the wall and the box and the PC.

and it came up super fast and everything back to normal..
It was much slower than it should have been if it was just on battery.

I've used it several times on batts and it was very usable and even able to game on it if I reduced graphics..

No idea what caused it which actually bugs me worse than having a solution.

Glad it is working but would like to know why it did it..
I noticed wierd issues on my G75 after we had a brownout one day. I was asleep and my system was on and plugged in when the power flashed on and off a few times. When I woke up, the system was acting up. The screen was darker and seemed to have a flicker in certain programs. When I rebooted, the issues went away and hasn't occurred since. I'm assuming that unstable power created the issues. I don't know if maybe you had any power stability issues this morning that could've been the problem or not, or if maybe the power cord was just loose enough to seem right, but still provide bad power, but ya never know.

WontonNoodle
10-13-2012, 01:01 AM
I have this issue with my G55 when my USB hard drive is plugged in. The problem seems to be that the G55 takes too much power and it can't take the additional USB hard drive for some reason. If I plug out the USB hard drive and then boot it's fine. But if I have a USB hard drive or hub or any USB plugged in, it boots up and has super slow animations and GPU performance like how you described.

dstrakele
10-13-2012, 02:13 AM
It sounds like Power Management gone wild with a severe downclock of the GPU or a faulty power adapter unable to supply enough juice.

Woots
10-13-2012, 03:19 AM
I hate to ask this... but did you accidently bump the power cord from the convertor block? It may look still plugged in on the side of your laptop, but that second cord also breaks away from the main AC/DC convertor block.

I had a similar incident like this a week ago. I usually keep my laptop plugged in where I use it most. One day I noticed all my games and everything were running slower. It then occured to be I was running to battery power accidently. :)

WontonNoodle
10-13-2012, 06:13 AM
It sounds like Power Management gone wild with a severe downclock of the GPU or a faulty power adapter unable to supply enough juice.

can i just send the power brick for rma or do i have to send the whole laptop?

joyfulPo
10-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Did you turn on TurboMode?
Have you overclocked?
Hav you changed the Hz on the screen?
What Anti-Virus software do you use?
And what powerSetting do you have your laptop on?